Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marvel doesn't want to make the Hulk too popular on his own - Disney don't own a full stake in his solo movie rights, which are still tied to Universal.:shh:

2. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Putting aside any questions about 'art' then it is 100% clear Hollywood chases the money, it always has. If a film with a (mostly) all black cast makes this much, and even beats the latest Star Wars film in relation to opening weekend, and takes more in 4 days that Justice League did in its entire US run with Superman and Batman, then you can be certain we will see more films like this.

sunspot42 and Stormrider77 like this.
  3. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Hulk know this? Hulk not like! Hulk smash Universal!

Vidiot, Ghostworld and eddiel like this.
  4. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

You can also bet a tinge of dobut has crossed the minds of several people at Lucasfilm.

5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Death Wish with Bruce Willis? It's Thursday and no published reviews.

6. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I'm still seeing it tomorrow regardless of no reviews.

7. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

8. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

My local Cinema Complex (Cinemark/Rave) didn't even carry Death Wish on release day. Don't know if they will get it in or not, but that kind of surprised me. Maybe they will wait a week or two and see if it is a money-maker or not. The nearest theatre that had it was just a few miles down the road but I didn't go see it because I really don't care for the place (Regal Cinemas.)

So, I saw Red Sparrow today and really enjoyed it. A decent (not great) spy thriller starring Jennifer Lawrence, Joel Edgerton and Jeremy Irons. If you like slow burning spy movies with a satisfying payoff at the end, you should like this. Interesting take on the mind games spies play along with how they are "programmed" to be master manipulators. Though, a fair warning: There is a lot of violence (guns, knives, blood, strangulations, torture scenes) and sex/rape scenes (male full frontal nudity is shown along with Jennifer Lawrence showing her breasts and backside.) So, if sex and violence turn you off, you should stay away from this. Otherwise, it is a good spy thriller with a few twists you won't expect.

Jennifer Lawrence and Joel Edgerton were really good in their roles. Jeremy Irons plays the same part in every movie it seems, but he does it well.

benjaminhuf likes this.
  9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Black Panther 6/10.
    The revolution won't be televised not featured in the film though in the promising exciting trailer I was expecting the big w o w factor and was dissapointed watching it on the big screen. Corny story, the cast was fine the script a bit of a howler.

10. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

One thing I didn't realize about contemporary blockbusters: they're no longer limited by the number of prints out in the field. If a film is going gangbusters -- like BLACK PANTHER -- the theater can re-allocate screens and showings to meet demand. I assume they can also yank duds faster, as well.

I noticed that my local theater is still screening BLACK PANTHER like it's opening week, with more showings than RED SPARROW, the "new" big movie. Other movies have only a couple showings.

My theater is fairly new, with twelve screens in a variety of sizes. Until it opened, I hadn't realized how customizable theaters can now make themselves. I grew up in an era of single screens giving way to cineplexes of multiple but identical screens. Having twelve screens of varying sizes allows the theater to meet and match demand quickly. So a blockbuster with good word of mouth can really take off, or sleeper hit like GET OUT can get the elbow room it needs to rack up its numbers.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    4xoddic and neo123 like this.
  11. mongo

mongo Senior Member

First off, I haven't read a comic book since I was in 6th grade.
    Growing up Iron Man and later Silver Surfer were my favs.

I too never got the hate & derision for Ang Lee's Hulk film but I'm not a super purist in the comic book personality cult.
    A younger guy at work who is into Hulk said in the Ang Lee version is not true to who the Hulk really is, so what do I know.
    I though it was far better than the later Edward Norton version.
    Far better casting & story flow.
    I do like Marc Rufalo's Marvel version.

Would love to see a decent Silver Surfer protagonist and story.
    I thought Fantastic Four was meandering and mostly boring.

12. alexpop

Red Sparrow 7/10
    After a disappointing Black Panther ( kiddie movie) i wasn't expecting much from this ( at least by the trailer), but was pleasantly surprised. Quiet amusing at times.

13. drmark7

drmark7 Forum Resident

I'm kind of perplexed by the fact that my local Cinemark theater, while barely giving two full weeks of showings to THE SHAPE OF WATER and THREE BILLBOARDS (and at that many weeks later than their premieres) is *still showing*(!) both JUMANJI and THE GREATEST SHOWMAN since they came out in (c. December 2017). Even THE LAST JEDI didn't last that long. I'd guess those 2 films to be available on DVD soon. What's the deal? Are they still that popular???

14. alexpop

Yeah I noticed that. Must be some distribution deal.

15. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The Greatest Showman is a phenomenon in that it's taken on a life of it's own - people are seeing it multiple times to sing along with the songs. It has a niche audience but its big enough to keep it playing.

benjaminhuf likes this.
  16. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

This one has unfortunately not done well. I didn't see it either, even though I like clay animation.

Early Man

Domestic Total as of Mar. 2, 2018: $7,334,449 (Estimate)
    Distributor: Lionsgate Release Date: February 16, 2018
    Genre: Animation Runtime: 1 hrs. 29 min.
    MPAA Rating: PG Production Budget:
    Domestic: $7,334,449 100.0%
    + Foreign: n/a 0.0%
    = Worldwide: $7,334,449

17. alexpop

Showman "
    Sing_along?
    Ugh!!!

18. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Those figures are not correct. Think it's already taken 13million in the UK.

19. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Good to hear.

More importantly, have you seen Early Man, and do you recommend it? It's still playing at one theater near me....Considering seeing it.

20. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I don't even know what movies are coming out anymore. The only time I know one is coming out is if it's Star Wars (I see all of them. Doesn't mean I like all of them. The kid in me just won't let me not go see them), or if it's something that just happens to catch my eye on Facebook or a commercial, or my wife tells me. There used to be a time when I was really hip to when everything was coming out. I think it has to do with the fact that it got to the point where there seemed to be a Marvel, DC, or Pixar/animated movie coming out every week, and I lost interest in keeping track of everything. And, it seems like the movies I want to see are gone quickly. The Disaster Artist (which was part of the sexual misconduct situation), All The Money In The World, Phantom Thread; those were movies I wanted to see, and they were either not around here at all, or they were gone so damn quick I didn't get the chance to see them. At this point, I just want to see Wreck It Ralph II. And the kid in me will force me (and I do mean force) to see that stupid Has Solo debacle.

21. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Not seen it. The Nick Park stuff we consider very English, they are based in my home town so we have a special connection (they do a lot of local stuff here, there were 50 odd Gromits around the town for example) so I wonder how this stuff translates, especially as this one is about (proper) football. But from what I've heard then if you like the Aardman stuff you will like this.

But with a budget of 50 million that's really banking on it being a big hit, which I'm not sure this was ever going to be, so I think it unfortunately will make a loss.

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yes, they've both done really well.

"Shape" and "Billboards" weren't movies that appealed to a mass audience - "Showman" and "Jumanji" did. Can't blame the theater for offering more screenings of the movies that sell tickets! :)

Deuce66 likes this.
  23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

get people in the seats and even better if they load up on snacks/drinks

24. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

25. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.