Frank Sinatra Set from Sony/Legacy, 1935-1955 Radio Performances, "A Voice on Air"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ronald Sarbo, Aug 26, 2015.

1. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Wow, now that's what I call a helpful answer.
    I think I will go for this set. Most of the HD Tracks stuff I have downloaded so far in general sounds great.

While I've got your attention, "Forever Frank", the compilation from 1966. The mono, that is real mono, right? Not futzed fake stereo?
    Is there a verdict on the sound quality of that one?
    I found my mono copy to be pretty good.

MMM likes this.
  2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Stereo LP = fake stereo for the mono tracks.
    Mono LP = REVERB ADDED ("wet") tapes used. Bad sound.

James_S888 likes this.
  3. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

This is greatly appreciated! And thank you again for what is a truly outstanding set!

MMM likes this.
  4. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

He should just buy the hard media copy and stop worrying.

To Be Perfectly Frank ?

5. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I can appreciate why anyone would think of getting this set as 192/24 files as I have toyed with that very idea myself. At the end of the day though, I chose to get the box set. Yes, the price was a factor but the most important thing to know is that the booklet is essential to the experience of enjoying these recordings and learning to appreciate their significance on a historical level. Not only are the essays really well written and informative, but the book itself is beautifully put together and with many superb photos. You cannot get that with the downloads.

6. James_S888

My love of the sound of Sinatra is obviously outweighing the distaste for reverb :)
    On the Capitol singles box CD set, those are the right tapes, right?

7. James_S888

A good point, I may get both

Simon A and MMM like this.
  8. MLutthans

For the most part, yes, but heavily processed. Pick your poison.

James_S888 likes this.
  9. James_S888

I noticed that, noise reduction and EQ‘d up, right?
    I‘m picking the LPs for preference....
    Forever Frank
    This is Sinatra - vols 1&2

10. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Just watched an episode of the Frank Sinatra Show from Jan.8,1952 with guest Ernie Ford. Sinatra is singing "Hey good looking" with him and Frank is playing the guitar on this one!!! And he does it quite well! You can tell that he was used to playing the guitar. So I think it's not too unlikely that it's him playing the guitar part on the "Exactly like you" recording with the Four Sharps.

11. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Re: Did Frank Sinatra play the ukulele?

Another quote from Nancy Sinatra’s book (page 22):
    His ukulele was shown in the centennial exhibit “Sinatra: An American Icon”, e.g. at the GRAMMY Museum in L.A.:

[​IMG]
    Frank Sinatra's ukulele with photos of Frank and Nancy Sinatra | Photo by Daniel Djang

vzok, Beaneydave, bozburn and 5 others like this.
  12. MLutthans

Rehearsal pic?
    s-l1600-255.jpg
    (Pardon the watermarks from the Ebay seller.)

13. Richard--W

I don't know where else to mention this, but I just received FS - AFTER HOURS on Artistry 3001. I've been trying to get this out-of-print CD for about ten years. The amazon marketplace seller gouged me $79 plus shipping, cheap compared to the higher prices it goes for. It contains 33 tracks recorded at NBC for the 1953-1955 radio program "To Be Perfectly Frank." This completes the discs documenting the studio sessions for the program -- the other two are TO BE PERFECTLY FRANK on Sandy Hook and PERFECTLY FRANK on Bravura, all from 1991.

DmitriKaramazov and Hep Alien like this.
  14. MLutthans

Hmmm.....I see these are now quite plentiful on Ebay:
    s-l1600-322.jpg

15. Richard--W

Nice for those who wear T-shirts. I don't. I would rather have one of his suits. Sinatra was always the best-dressed man in the room. His suits were impeccable, for tailoring, for fabric, for style, for their suitability and the statement they made. Since we are close to the same size I'd like to pick out a few from that long hallway that became his closet. I'd start with this one:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

RolandG and Simon A like this.
  16. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Frank was known to wear T-shirts. See the photo just a few posts above.

Richard--W likes this.
  17. Richard--W

I'm sure you'll agree, Bob F., that while Sinatra may have worn a T-shirt from time to time he is better known for his impeccable suits.

Besides, a Sinatra suit would be a girl magnet at the next Noir City Film Festival (in Frisco) where the audience comes wearing clothes of the 1940s and 1950s.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  18. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Just tugging your sleeve. ;) Sure, his sartorial sense was impeccable, even from a very early age.

[​IMG]

19. Richard--W

Good point. That would suit would be a little small for me, however...

20. But that's just a hack Photoshop job: a picture of a black T-shirt, superimposed with a distorted picture of the album cover.

21. Richard--W

Oh, it's not so bad. It's the CD packaging cover-art in degrees of black. I'm fine with it.

22. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Congrats Richard!

I just ordered Perfectly Frank because I really love this material. Frank, a piano, maybe a small band, a radio broadcast. Perfection!

Did you ever have any good leads on Discogs or eBay?

-- David

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. Richard--W

Wish I could offer you some good leads, David. I kept up the search on amazon marketplace and ebay for over a decade before I found the three CD's. Discogs was no help.

FS -- AFTER HOURS is probably the best of the them. I've seen it offered for as much as $300 on ebay occasionally. Just keep looking every week until it turns up.

There are 33 tracks on FS - AFTER HOURS, 31 tracks on PERFECTLY FRANK and 18 tracks on TO BE PERFECTLY FRANK. There is a little overlap.

If the mods will permit, I will start a thread on the topic, post the cover art, and summarize what I know about To Be Perfectly Frank from various sources. Then everyone can chime in. If the mods say it's okay.

For a sample of the NBC sessions that resulted in the songs Sinatra recorded for the radio program, listen to tracks 16-20, disc 4 on A VOICE ON AIR. They saved the best for last on this amazing set. I understand that Nancy is playing more songs from the sessions on her Sirius radio program, which is probably why they've haven't been released on CD. If you want to hear the songs, you gotta buy into Sirius and take a chance that she might play one or two.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  24. teag

teag Forum Resident

I read your post and threw disc 4 on and listened to these tracks. The performance is really nice on these. Maybe the family will release more someday.

25. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Not gonna happen with me!

teag likes this.