Tom Petty "Wildflowers" vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kingsley Candler, Jan 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

2. twistandshout

twistandshout Forum Resident

cause someone asked why this is so expensive. I like Wildflowers, but would only buy vinyl for a reasonable price.

3. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Like I have said before I found my copy for virtually free at a military thrift. The last song on side 4 has distortion. Don't know if that is just my copy or not. Just know that before you shell out the really big bucks if there should be no re-issue.

4. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Wow! Glad I have mine. They should press more.

randy9700 likes this.
  5. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

Yeah...."Back Ordered" and the familiar "Awaiting Repress". Has anyone ever actually received something that had either one of those statements associated with it?

That said, they are really only waiting for Wildflowers to be pressed in order to sell more box sets as all of the other titles are in print. If you never got around to getting the Petty vinyl, particularly the Warner titles I suggest you do it because as soon as you think they will always be available they will be OOP and priced accordingly. I won't be surprised if WF becomes available as it's own box set with Vinyl, uncompressed CD(s), BD-A and a DVD-V in a deluxe format for an MSRP of oh say...$119.00.

Will I buy it? You bet.....Gee, make the vinyl a 1 step process and jump the MSRP to $159.00

McCool and 500Homeruns like this.
  6. Sam

Sam Senior Member

LOL. I bought my vinyl copy back in the 90s when everyone was laughing at me for doing so. The CD of Wildflowers SUCKS in comparison to the vinyl. In fact, that comparison between wildflowers vinyl and CD is what finally drove me away from CDs and back full time into vinyl. It seems that most of my TP vinyl is up there in price. Great for me! I notice too that my Pink Floyd box set of PULSE is also now selling for over $500 USED. lol. No one is laughing at me now.

canonlon likes this.
  7. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I bought the Wildflowers 192/24 high resolution Pono version (when it was available). It sounds great, but I still prefer the vinyl in my setup.

pexie, Vinylsoul 1965 and randy9700 like this.
  8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have the hi-res download and it does sound great, but the vinyl is better, IMO.

500Homeruns likes this.
  9. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

Wow. I can't believe how the prices have skyrocketed on these. I mean I guess I can but still petty stuff is off the charts expensive.

I bought a new sealed copy of wildflowers for 19.99 in 1997 at a record store that I used to always go to in Utica, NY. The Last Unicorn.

A few years ago at Forever Young records here in DFW they had the live anthology vinyl box. I think it was 175 or 225...cant remember exactly. I used to tell myself to buy it everytime I went in there and never did. One day it was gone. Now I see it for 1000 or so on eBay and amazon. crazy.

And I could kick myself for not buying the volume 2 box set now. Another mistake.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  10. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I regret not getting WB's Hoffman Sweet Baby James... and we don't have Barnes and Noble here so even that wasn't a great option for the reprint.... WB is causing me grief..

11. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

I actually prefer the hi res over my original LP...

12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I was thinking about the recent AAA vinyl, not the digitally sourced original LP.

Johnny Wong likes this.
  13. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

Paul Zollo is currently working on an updated version of "Conversations With Tom Petty". According to Zollo he interviewed Petty on a number of occasions subsequent to the publishing of his book and those "conversations" will be included in the reprinting/updated volume. Nothing concrete on a release date yet, but Zollo has stated that it's in the works. The RDAD coffee table book was always going to be a limited time issue and even at the time of it's release it wasn't the easiest book to wrestle to the ground. For the life of me I can't remember where I got it from but I think I either went through the publisher or some type of unconventional method to obtain it.

14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

$1,000? Really? Is that what they’re actually selling for or this yet another example of the seller supply curves and buyer demand curves on ebay & amazon being nowhere remotely near each other?

At some point, it seems to me that ebay is shooting itself in the foot by letting sellers all too frequently keep items up for sale for almost unlimited periods of time in the hopes of catching a whale...in the meantime, formerly frequent buyers like me rarely traffic there anymore for this very reason. But what do I know...

arisinwind likes this.
  15. Who is going back in time with what, now?

Geee! and marcb like this.
  16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I have...many times. It happened just this week, in fact.

But I get your point.

17. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Sean and cwitt1980 like this.
  18. Kingsley Candler

Kingsley Candler Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your replies, now I've got some hope!

jumpinjulian likes this.
  19. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I'm with you. For a long time, I kept seeing Wildflowers for 15 to 25 and never took the plunge. One day when I decided to, it was gone. I've bought just about all the Box 2 vinyl separately now, so I may have just gotten it when it came out. The Live Anthology was pretty cheap when it came out. Not necessarily the vinyl version but I can recall it being around 100 when Best Buy was trying to clear them out. I did get the cd box version for around 30.

20. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

Man some guy recently sold an original Wildflowers for $40 and A Black Crowes Before the Freeze for $45 on that auction site. Good for those lucky fans that just struck gold.

21. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Wildflowers is a digital recording, no???

22. As per multiple threads here, I believe the new vinyl is all analog.

Tullman likes this.
  23. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I’d be very surprised is was recorded Analogue. Pretty rare at that time...

24. Do some research. Find the truth.

25. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I'm unsure. It very well could have been recorded analog. I think I've seen footage of tape rolling but that doesn't mean it was entirely recorded with tape.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.