Concert For George reissue CD/LP/DVD Feb 23, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zgredzik, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

On the other hand, I buy vinyl, impersonally ... ;)

2. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

3. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Still get chills when I hear the into by Paul on the piano for While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Great great version

4. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Also knowing that 3 of the musicians who actually played on the studio recording were doing it together. That too gives me chills!

ted321 likes this.
  5. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Paul’s piano intro is genius on that track.

6. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

It's a superb version, no doubt, but I've always thought that Clapton's solo that night promised so much but couldn't quite reach the heights expected. Almost as if it was all too much (pardon the pun), the emotion of the night 'n all. Just my impression I'm sure.

7. Jack Lumber

Jack Lumber Forum Resident

Well! After all that, I’m now getting email tracking updates on my order... so we’ll just have to see when it arrives!

8. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Yeah, I was starting to think they'd be on time after all, but I just got this notice:

Thank you again for your pre-order of the now sold out Limited Deluxe Edition of Concert For George. Unfortunately, due to the hand-crafted and limited nature of the package, the fabrication is taking longer than anticipated ... As an apology for the delay, and a sincere thank you for your support of Concert for George and the Material World Foundation, fans who ordered the Deluxe Edition box set will receive a complimentary digital copy of the complete concert audio. This digital download will be delivered to you on Friday, February 23rd, with the physical package expected to ship mid-April.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  9. Jack Lumber

Jack Lumber Forum Resident

But just got an email confirming a delay until April on the physical set... but a complimentary download of the full concert delivered tomorrow.

10. Mine didn’t tell a date. Just that it’s delayed

No rush for me anyway. .

11. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Boring reissue imo. Not the event but it’s not hard to get the very good DVD.

milankey likes this.
  12. Not as boring as owning 4 Beatles mono boxes. You could almost own just three plus the deluxe Concert George set. :tiphat:

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  13. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Lol well I guess so. Somehow I’m more thrilled with the mono reissue. Concert videos are nice once or maybe twice for me. Mono is forever. :)

FJFP and Jack like this.
  14. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Do we know if there’s any upgrade over the previous Bly ray yet? Any remastering?

15. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Like a lot of people here, I like to have a choice of format when buying new music, whether 'new' or reissued. Usually my choice comes down to cd or vinyl. I buy plenty of both. Here, however, we seem to have a classic case of value-not-added costing. The nicely packaged cd is going (here in Canada) for $26.79. The nicely packaged vinyl of the same music (plus ONE song) is going for $152.24. So I ask myself why on earth would anyone buy the vinyl? It makes no sense to pay that much more for essentially the same thing. Or, put another way, to pay $125.45 for ONE song!! While I will continue to buy vinyl, this strikes me as a clear case of 'buyer beware'. Why waste your money on the vinyl when the cd alternative is SO much cheaper?

16. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Well, you do also get the Python "songs" on the vinyl, which aren't on the 2cd set. Isn't "Sit On My Face" worth another $125? ;)

Steel Horse and forthlin like this.
  17. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I agree. A 2LP set of the 'rock' portion of the concert (from "I Want To Tell You" through the end, which runs about 85 minutes) priced at a reasonable $25-30 would've been an automatic purchase and a nice option for people who most definitely aren't going to spring for the box. I get they're trying to push people to the ridiculous box, but instead of giving them $30, I'm listening to the show on Apple Music. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

18. The Indian classic music is an essential part of the Concert for George. It’s not a hits package but a fully realized tribute to Harrison.

I was at the show and that portion of Music was a big part of George’s life :tiphat:

In the US the Vinyl us around $95. The CD/BR around $33.

Jerry Horne and superstar19 like this.
  19. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I appreciate it being in the show, and I actually would've enjoyed seeing that part in person. But as a purely audio document, 15+ years later, I imagine I'm not the only one who skips over it. And I think they even emphasized that by separating the two sections on CD back when it first came out. I was just hypothesizing a better value-for-money product (and also a better, less-flipping-required listening experience over four sides) than what they put forth. (Especially considering most of us probably bought this concert once already back in 2003)

vitorbastos123 and mrjinks like this.
  20. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

My curiosity got the better of me and i’ve Just picked the CD/ Blu Ray set up from HMV.

I can confirm the set is remastered, according to the credits by David Lunsen at Lunsen mastering.

21. chacha

Is the video image credited as remastered as well?

22. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

That’s the only remastering credit there is.

chacha likes this.
  23. chacha

That’s good to know. I wasn’t crazy about the initial Blu Ray unlike others here (loved the DVD though).

jl151080 likes this.
  24. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

I purchased the FLAC download and am enjoying it. "Horse" is terrific.

OT, did anyone see the recent article about George's older sister? She's living in the US and in poverty. Sad. She tells interesting story of George coming over before the "Beatles invasion" where he played with a small bar band who asked him to join. She says he wasn't the quiet Beatle; he had a sore throat.

I'm embarrassed to say but I did not know who Joe Brown was. Not I want to find some music by him.

MRamble likes this.
  25. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Disappointing, no Monty Python on the Cd so no need to upgrade :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.