Mr. Bungle Band Approved Vinyl Releases...?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Beatnik_Daddyo'73, Apr 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified Thread Starter

I believe it was early last year Mike Patton mentioned that a "band approved" vinyl reissue campaign would be coming. Any one hear anything upcoming??

The Music On Vinyl reissues came out and I think that is what spurred Mike into saying that...

2. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Weren't the MOV's good? Plus weren't the Faith No More deluxe reissues "band approved" and panned here?

3. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I just got the MOV release of Disco Volante, and it sounds amazing for such a long record. My only gripe is that the artist/title sticker is actually on the jacket and not on the outer plastic sleeve. And I guess they could've included the 7" that came with the original. In my experience, Music On Vinyl is very good at what they do these days.

4. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

[​IMG]
    Now here's one I would love to see Mobile Fidelity go thru.

Hey Daddyo, why ain't I surprised to see a jazz lover like you digging Mr Bungle ?! ;)

5. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Hey hey! Yep, been a Fan since the first self titled album dropped. Was waiting at the door of Tower Records on release day. Good ol’ daze :D:thumbsup:

SirMarc, Lownote30, mr.datsun and 2 others like this.
  6. Yesternow

What I've noticed is that people who claim they're fans don't have "California" as their favorite.

The other albums are a bit "too heavy" for me, but California... One of my favorites albums, and not just Bungle.
    [​IMG]
    The CD sounds OK, but it could be improved. Will buy a remastered version, if it happens.

7. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

...I love all three and wouldn’t want to be without any of them. A killer trilogy!

xybert likes this.
  8. Yesternow

9. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Big Bungle fan here, California is in my all time top ten. That was such a special time for me, being obsessed with the self-titled and Disco Volante, and then having the first Fantomas album and then California coming out around the same time.

Not sure if there have been any threads on the recording of California, but i'm sure that it would be of interest to the engineering buffs on the Hoffman board. Maybe Spruance will write that book one day? Cheers.

Yesternow and Beatnik_Daddyo'73 like this.
  10. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

It's deffo my favourite.

What does this signify? EDIT. Ok, Pink Cigarette. Brilliant!

Yesternow likes this.
  11. TFEC

TFEC Opinion Holder

The first Bungle album was life changing.

Disco Volante is one of my top 10 albums of all time.

I absolutely detest California.

Hedin likes this.
  12. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I don’t hate California, but I think the first two are light years ahead of it. Especially Disco.

TFEC likes this.
  13. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I think California is a honing and development of what they achieved on Disco Volante. Yes, it's more obviously 'listeneable', less 'insane', but I like them both equally for what they do. I can understand fans of the earlier Bungle sound not liking it or not liking it as much. I like that California sounds like it could slip into the kind of joints where Disco Volante might not be allowed.

Is there any point to owning California on LP? The Plainsong pressing. (In general I dislike MOV's stuff.)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  14. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Wow! I love California and Disco. The debut [and FNM's The Real Thing] are ruined by Patton's vocals. There I said it.

Yesternow likes this.
  15. Yesternow

16. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Disco Volante on my CD sounds so muddy. Are there differences between versions of this album, mastering-wise?

I have the '95 Slash Records/London CD. UK.

17. Yesternow

18. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

...yes :thumbsup: have always loved that. I made a comp of their demos and used that design for the cover.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    Yesternow likes this.
  19. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

It was recorded on 16 bit ADAT machines that were daisy chained together. I don't know how much better it can sound. It's still one of my favorite albums ever made, though!

20. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Same method as Ween on Chocolate and Cheese. Another lovely-sounding album from just a few years earlier.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 and Lownote30 like this.
  21. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I credit this thread for making me give California another chance, and I'm now realizing that it's far, far better than I ever realized it was.

22. Yesternow

[​IMG]

SirMarc likes this.
  23. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

"Will Warner Brothers put our record on the shelf? Take a look in the mirror and see the clown in yourself"

Yesternow likes this.
  24. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I was a fan throughout the 90s but the first album hasn’t aged that well. California still feels timeless.

Yesternow likes this.
  25. Yesternow

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.