Berlin: any love?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by erikdavid5000, Sep 15, 2016.

1. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Found this, about 721 Entertainment, which has the same content as 80swave:
    "The company has 1 principal on record. The principal is Michael Phelan from North Hollywood CA".
    Anyone know him/heard of him, in the reissue community?

Possibly could be an unrelated company with the same name, of course.

2. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

FYI I placed an order at the beginning of January and have not received anything.

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Dancing in Isolation, the Rupert Hine track that Teri sang for a soundtrack shortly after leaving Berlin, is pretty good:

I only recently learned that Nunn posed Penthouse under an alias before she became an actress/singer.

4. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Anyone ever see a good article explaining how the band fell apart? Was it simply a case of Terri and John being at each other's throats?

5. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

FYI heard back from the company reissuing these over the weekend...according to them them got some additional masters and are looking into if they can add more material to the discs. They assured me that they will be putting them out once they clear this material.

Porkpie likes this.
  6. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Fair play. Was beginning to wonder if this wasn't some kind of phantom type of biz. Here's hoping they care about the sound, the Best of Berlin is pretty slammed so I just made my own from the originals.

7. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Does anyone here like Love Life? I can't get through it all. Count 3 got better but it was admittedly much more in the mainstream with the additional producers/writers which, I guess was a big part of the band calling it quits as I had just read over the weekend.

blaken123 likes this.
  8. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

If Terri was born in '61 and posed in '76, that would have made her how old?

Edit: Looks like Wiki is wrong as they say the mag was '76 not '77.

9. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Yes! I love it...
    Now It's My Turn, Dancing In Berlin and No More Words are new wave classics.

10. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

There are two best of Berlin's with the same track listing, one is slammed (The Millennium Collection?) the other is not.

11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Interesting...I wonder what that could be? Something interesting and unreleased?

12. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

Oh, good luck. If they are looking to add/clear additional material, you'll be lucky if this is out by the end of the year. I would highly suggest anyone else interested to hold off ordering until stock is on hand. If I started posting my intended CD reissues for sale early in the process, I'd have a lot of angry customers by now.

13. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I grew up in Huntington Beach, so I know this band's music well. I never met David Diamond personally, but he was close with my ex-wife's bff, and IIRC they were neighbors. Anyway, in the fog that remains in my mind of the late '80s, I recall us going by his house one night but he wasn't home. So not really a story, except Orange County was like that back then...it wasn't hard to run into musicians if you knew who they were.

Tokyo Ghost and Curveboy like this.
  14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

This is definitely true for previously unreleased material. It can be extremely costly and time consuming to get the proper clearances for that. If they're just issuing some additional material that was previously released on the same label but otherwise obscure that should be a lot simpler.

15. Scott Davies

I guess that depends on how well communication is for them. I've just sent follow ups to Sony and Universal for myself again today since the last ones from weeks past were not responded to. Can't imagine 80s Wave is having much better luck but I would be curious to know how long it took them to get initial feedback from Universal on their titles. 6 months and counting here.

16. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

This is the exact quote; We came across some unreleased bonus material for some of the Berlin CD's when Universal was looking for master tape's that we didn't know of before

17. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

Very propitious I found this thread today. A few days ago I somehow got on a Berlin bender, listening to a bunch of their songs on YouTube, watching their Bands Reunited, and seeing if they were doing any touring this year. I may be going to one of those "Lost in the '80s" (?) tours in August in Atlanta. In addition to Berlin, they're having Wang Chung, Flock of Seagulls, Animotion, and a few others but I'd be going for Berlin. Terri Nunn somehow gets hotter every year.

"No More Words" has got to be one of the catchiest songs I've heard in any genre.

Purple and blaken123 like this.
  18. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

Absolutely love it and still listen to it several times a year. In fact, I'm gonna put it on now. It's really "Count Three and Pray" that I can't stand and have never made it through that.

19. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

OK, I'm goin to try it out again. As far as CTAP? "You Don't Know" what you're talking about. ;)

blaken123 and kiefer2 like this.
  20. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

While C3&P is more commercial, Will I Ever Understand You, You Don't Know and Heartstrings are spectacular.

21. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

I don't think this is even happening anymore. The link doesn't lead to anything. Very disappointing.

22. Scott Davies

Maybe they had the same luck with Universal I had. After signing 3 deals and allegedly having a fourth in process, my contact at Universal disappeared a month ago and has not responded to multiple inquiries. Not very professional at all.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  23. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Liked them when they were more "new wave-y" than "pop-ish", so the 1st 2 albums

My top 7 are from Berlin are:

- Pleasure Victim
    - Sex (I'm A...)
    - The Metro [1982 from Pleasure Victim as well as the 1981 original mix on the MAO 7"]
    - No More Words
    - For All Tomorrow's Lies
    - Lost in the Crowd
    - For All Tomorrow's Lies

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  24. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Do they have anything else as ethereal as Take My Breath Away?

25. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

The Metro for me just captures that techno Euro 80s vibe so well.

PS, has anyone ever seen the screen test of Terri reading for the Princess Leia role in 1976?

Tokyo Ghost and sunspot42 like this.