Did anyone here become a Beatles fan in the 90's or later?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

I'd always heard The Beatles music (the hits and a few deep cuts here and there) but I became a fan in 1994/1995 with the Live At The BBC and Anthology 1 releases which caused me to get the Red 1962-1966 and Blue 1967-1970 compilations (that was quite an eye.. er.. ear opener) and then dive into the proper album catalog (the U.K catalog / CDs) a few albums at a time throughout 1996 as I also got Anthology 2 and Anthology 3.

So I ended up hearing a lot of the Anthology alternative versions and alternative takes before I heard the proper studio album versions, interestingly enough. :)

Who else here became a fan in the 90's or later?

andrewskyDE and Tuco like this.
  2. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I didn't own any Beatles until the early 90's or very late 80's at best. My teen years were 1982-1988, so I was definitely into hard rock/metal at that point.

blaken123 likes this.
  3. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Yes, I was a teenager in the 90s. The OP’s experience was largely my own as well.

4. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

I'm in the OP camp as well--I was a kid when the BBC and Anthology stuff came out. I've always been way more familiar with a lot of the Anthology takes and material than some corners of the studio catalogue, as I got there first and stuck around for a while before I had enough money to get all the studio albums.

5. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Started listening in the 90’s as a teen as well. My dad had the Pepper, Abbey and Please Please Me CD’s, so those were the first I heard. Started buying the rest when I got my head around those. I was then 15 or so by the time the Anthology releases came out.

6. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

yes

Mugrug12 likes this.
  7. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

I was familiar with the Beatles in the 90's from a few songs and my mom was a Paul fan. But I remember going on my Beatles run then feeling a little silly that I had spent a bunch of money on the albums just six months before the mono box came out. So 2013. This forum is pretty much what caused me to explore the Beatles in any real sense.

8. PaulKTF

Thank you for taking the time to expound on your story.

:)

9. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

In 1995 the Anthology TV broadcasts came to ABC over 6 nights - I am sure there were many converts

Scope J likes this.
  10. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I did.
    First heard of Ringo from him narrating tales of that tank engine and his friends (although my tapes and dvds were usually Carlin; boy was it quite a surprise going from that to his standup), and then Mom played 1.

11. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I guess the 00s are later than the 90s though I'd say I didn't become a proper Beatles fan until sometime after the remasters came out since that's when I got Abbey Road which prompted me to explore Revolver, The White Album and Rubber Soul on iTunes.
    I can't speak for everyone of my generation but when I was a teen The Beatles were just a black and white boy band that all the girls lost their minds for in the 60s. Though I remember thinking that "The Doors" was a dumb name for a band as well.

12. PaulKTF

"Remember, this is Mr. Conductor speaking... I know what I'm talking about..." - George.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  13. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

it was a cold dark night, and the opening strains of "why don't we do it in the road" reverberated from my 1985 chevy cavalier. I had just taken 15 tabs of acid, and the road was beginning to look like a wet piece of spaghetti. my friend carol was in the passenger seat eating 13 burritos from taco bell. it was new year's eve, 1989. the dawn of a new era. as we slid into the new year and the new decade, a light shone on the horizon. as paul McCartney sang "no one will be watching uuuuussss", we slammed into a light pole. the light from afar manifested itself as a police cruiser.

we looked at each other and knew it was over. the 80s. our youth. the good times. my eyes rolled back in my head. the next thing I remember was awaking in a jail cell. carol was in the cell across the hall. the bars between us were waving like tall grass in the wind. as we locked eyes, we both simultaneously began chanting.

why.
    don't.
    we.
    do.
    it.
    in.
    the.
    road.

Frosst, audiomixer, DHamilton and 7 others like this.
  14. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I'd also be interested in if you '90's-Beatles-fans' had been given the 'stink-eye' from your friends and family, for being 'into' what I'm sure was considered 'old-fogey' music!
    I planted my 'Beatle-love' flag back in the '70's; right at the time of the 'disco sucks' movement.
    When kids on the school bus would force kids to pick a side, I just said, "I don't know... I'm just a Beatles-guy." , and, they left me alone.

Tuco likes this.
  15. PaulKTF

Quite the opposite, actually- a few of my friends were into The Beatles before I was. :)

vince likes this.
  16. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

Interesting thread topic, especially to someone who had become a fan during the Ed Sullivan appearances. I'll follow the . . . thread.

keyXVII and forthlin like this.
  17. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

yeah, in 2006 with the Love album. i grew up in a house that had parents that had grew up in the 60s and they hated the Beatles. so we never listened to them growing up. i really liked the idea of the Love album, so checked it out and after than then discovered the rest of the albums. i still don't really like the early stuff much, or the later stuff. but 65 - 68 is great

18. PaulKTF

Growing up with parents who hate the Beatles? Isn't that like some kind of form of child abuse? :)

Frosst, notesfrom and micktanner like this.
  19. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

My first Beatles album was 1 if that tells you anything.

andrewskyDE, Duke Fame and Scope J like this.
  20. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

haha i suppose so. i grew up in a house full of music, just not Beatles. loads of Reggae, Hendrix, Stones, Cream, old blues and then stuff like two tone

21. PaulKTF

That's a great way to be introduced to their music. It's such a good collection. :righton:

SurrealCereal and Scope J like this.
  22. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Is this thread perhaps discounting the fact that some on this forum were born in the '80s or '90s, and thus didn't have the option of getting into any bands before then?

I got into the Beatles in June of 2002. I was 14, the summer before I started high school. I bought the 1 compilation while on vacation with my family. I was aware of their music prior to that and knew some of their songs just from generally existing in society, but that's when I first became a fan.

andrewskyDE and Scope J like this.
  23. PaulKTF

Yeah, I think some people might be doing that... which is weird.. because there are people of all ages here. :)

24. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

Wow that is my story to a tee. Reading the comments a lot of us nineties teenagers (class of 96!) seem to have this exact introduction. I remember three events accelerating my Beatles Fandom. The first was of course Anthology on TV. I sat down to watch it with my parents and was riveted. I remember being really confused about Paul doing interviews in front of a fire and driving a boat and I still don't get it. The second event was staying with my friend for a few days while my uncle was dying and my parents were tending to him. I listened to the Red and Blue albums on repeat and it helped me feel better about losing such a close family member. Third thing was my brother buying me the White Album and me buying Revolver on the same day, this coincided with my discovery of pot not that long before and smoking and pouring over every sound on the two albums set me on this journey that has cost me thousands and provided me with more joy than any other band ever has.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  25. sweetdudejim

sweetdudejim Forum Resident

I became an actual true fan around 2002 and 2003. I was born in 1984 though.

I will say though that I watched the Anthology on TV with my Mom and I remember when the premiered "Free As A Bird" that night. I still feel lucky to have been there to see that. Even as an 11 year old or whatever I was, I did understand that it was a huge deal that a new Beatles song was being released for the first time in like 25 years.

andrewskyDE, ndoheny and Chrome_Head like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.