Concert For George reissue CD/LP/DVD Feb 23, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zgredzik, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacden

jacden Senior Member

No, there's only five variations available.

2xCD
    2xCD/2xBlu-Ray
    2xCD/2xDVD
    4xLP
    Deluxe

Beaneydave likes this.
  2. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Was that the remastered version or the original Spector mix?

3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

The new top LG OLED sets look amazing. Best panel I think I’ve ever seen. They’re expensive - maybe around $5000?

Mazzy likes this.
  4. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

All versions, remastered or not, use the original Spector mix. There hasn't been a remix.

5. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

No.

Beaneydave likes this.
  6. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Love that auto-correct!

Mazzy likes this.
  7. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

I compared the DVD to the new Blu yesterday using the opening track If I Needed Someone. Forgot how decent the DVD is, but the Blu is significantly better. I assume on smaller screens it won't be as dramatic of course but on my calibrated, 4k 70" the BR is a far more pleasing image. Colors are similar but the Blu is far more lifelike and less 'digital'. The DVD has all those anomalies that can plague early concert DVDs. Movement not as smooth, black-crush in the shadows....

Then there's the detail. Clearly legible Fender logos on the headstocks etc. Strings of instruments not breaking up and aliasing the way they do on the DVD. Rock-solid detail in clothing.

So for me it's a no-brainer upgrade. But I'm as much of a videophile as I am audiophile so there's that.

Didn't do an A-B of the DVDs DTS track to the DTS Master yet.

Mr. Explorer and chacha like this.
  8. Well that's a good sign. I have 60" Panny and looking forward to it. Do you have the older Blu-ray? That's the one where I felt wasn't as good as the DVD.

9. trickster

trickster Well-Known Member

Got mine cd/BR edition. Will listen now.

10. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

No original blu. I don't think I was ever aware that there was one.

11. Jack Lumber

Jack Lumber Forum Resident

Not forgetting the ultra rare Deluxe + Test Pressings!

12. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

I purchased the download. It has Monty Python material.

I love the sound quality and the performances are inspired.

13. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I've just spent the last two hours listening to the vinyl set which arrived today, from Amazon Italy for the total princely sum of £57 (66 Euro). The vinyl is pristine and really does sound nice. I've always loved this concert and can see myself pulling out this set on a regular basis for years to come.

5th-beatle, paolo, culabula and 3 others like this.
  14. balzac

balzac Senior Member

That review that mentions that the new BD looks better than the 2011 BD, I'm not sure how much faith I'm putting in it. It doesn't seem to be particularly detail-oriented.

I'd feel better if a more technical-oriented BD review surfaces, and/or if one of those videophile websites look at the bitrate and screencaps to determine if the new BD is truly a new master and/or transfer. The new BD seems to even have the same precise *new* bonus features that were previously exclusive to the 2011 Blu-ray.

The 2011 BD was indeed not particularly great. It was marginally better than the old DVD, but I think most of the limitations are at the source with how it was captured natively in HD at the concert in 2002.

15. servi

servi Forum Resident

Agree ! Got the LPs via Amazon Italy as well this week. Surprised that these are USA pressings (booklet says that masters were cut in the US as well), and that this is actually cheaper than on amazon.com. IMO, 66 euro is a fair price for a box like this, with 5 playable sides. It is 60 euros more expensive with some dealers...
    Paul Theroux writes in the foreword of the booklet that this was the first time Ringo and Paul made music together since the Beatles split up!!

hodgo likes this.
  16. scotty j.

scotty j. Forum Resident

That kind of misinformation drives me nuts. Especially on such a high-profile release from another member "the family."

17. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Is it not 7 playable sides?

18. culabula

culabula Unread author.

My vinyl set arrived from Amazon Italy today -at last. Absolutely remarkable pressings and sound and for a superb price of 66€ including VAT and postage.

Currently on LP 1 and enjoying the Indian set more than I ever did on DVD. I’m certain there are even more delights in store for me having been familiar with the DVD since 2005, but this is bound to be a regular listen henceforth.

As you were.

chacha likes this.
  19. servi

servi Forum Resident

Yes, sorry it’s 7 of course..

20. Sargon

Sargon OHNOTHIMAGAIN

I bought a Panny ST50/60 and a VT60/65. So I'm right with you on this my friend. The OLED has absolute black (pixels turned OFF), unlike plasma which can dim each pixel, but they have motion blur and non-film like motion on the LG. Don't know if the new Sony OLED is an improvement yet. (I know we need to try to keep things on point with this thread. Just couldn't help chiming in with you here.

I hope I will be happy with the look of the Harrison blu-ray.

Mazzy likes this.
  21. wodence

wodence Forum Resident

Is it the first time they had played live together since the break up?

22. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I love my 2 Panny plasmas. 54VT25 & 65VT30.

23. scotty j.

scotty j. Forum Resident

I’m only going by what the poster wrote, “...the first time paul and Ringo made music together...” The pair made music in the early 80’s in various settings: studio, film, and even in a live setting if you count the audience of the Take it Away video shoot.

mrjinks likes this.
  24. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Ringo went on stage with Wings in 1976 and didnt played, and in 1993, he joined Paul on stage during the Na Na Na’s of Hey Jude. And thats it.

5th-beatle likes this.
  25. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Michael Fremer gave it a 4/10

"The problem here is the sound: it is inexcusably terrible. All of the sparkle, detail, definition and excitement heard on the Blu-ray is gone, replaced by thick, congealed, dynamically compressed muck. There is no excuse for this mess. In fact, for $100, the Blu-ray or a DVD should have been included, but that's something else."

"Concert For George" Beautifully Packaged, Released on 4 180g LP Box Set

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.