Rory Gallagher Albums Remastered For CD and LP (March 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident Thread Starter

On March 16, Universal UK will reissue select Rory Gallagher studio and live albums on both CD and vinyl LP. These are not Anniversary sets nor are they Special Editions. There will be no bonus tracks. They are remastered, I’m sure, for vinyl reissue but will be made available on bare bones CD sets. These will include:

• Rory Gallagher (1971)
    • Tattoo (1973)
    • Calling Card (1976)
    • Defender (1987)
    • Irish Tour ’74 (1974) CD only
    • Against The Grain (1975)
    • Live! in Europe (1972)
    • Photo Finish (1978)
    • BBC Sessions (1999) CD Only
    • Deuce (1971)
    • Top Priority (1979)
    • Notes From San Francisco (2011, Posthumous)
    • Stage Struck – Recorded Live (1980)
    Previously, the first six Rory Gallagher albums were released as 40th Anniversary remasters in 2012.

SOURCE: Rory Gallagher Albums Remastered For CD and LP | …essential

2. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

Dang...I'm disappointed to see that both Irish Tour and the BBC Sessions won't be getting vinyl releases....

I think I already have everything else except Notes From San Francisco....

The Quiet One likes this.
  3. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

How many more times?

evh5150, slipkid, Alan2 and 1 other person like this.
  4. VintageVibe

VintageVibe Forum Resident

Seriously. I picked up Irish Tour vinyl reissue a couple of years ago. 180gr. super quiet and my go to version. I also picked up the expanded anniversary 8 CD box release in 2014. I prefer Rory live and have everything on that list and a lot more. I'm good.

Greg Gee and lucan_g like this.
  5. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

GREAT! I'll try a few out to compare with my originals.

Joti Cover likes this.
  7. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

One of the greatest live performers I've ever seen!

He was an opening act for someone (can't remember who) and I had never heard of him, but he blew me (and the headliner) away.
    Go raibh mile maith agat Rory! :cheers:

8. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

"Notes" is paired with a killer live show. I listen to that a lot more than I do the abandoned studio album.

9. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

I'll be interested, but my originals are not looking too nervous. :)

10. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I agree with the "One of the great live performers" in fact I rank it my favorite concert ever.

11. Frank205

Frank205 Forum Resident

Any chance of AAA. Hope so will pic up a few.have all first uk pressings and Germany intercord. Castle cds

12. correctodad

correctodad Forum Resident

Just received email from Sound of Vinyl with details of vinyl box set limited to 300 copies. Albums also available separately it would seem.

Exclusive, Numbered Rory Gallagher Vinyl Box

I already have many of the albums on vinyl so will pass on the box set but might pick up a few individual albums.

Imagine70 and Spadeygrove like this.
  13. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Irish Tour is coming on vinyl as well...

Only one I need is "Top Priority" (have the others) and this is my favorite album by him! Saw him live a few times and he is one of my top 5 favorite guitarists of all time! Got turned on to "On The Boards" when it first came out and have been in love with his music since!

Vaughan, thanks for starting the thread!

14. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Nice to have them available again on vinyl, for those who want em, but it only seems a short while since the last Cd remasters.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  15. Imagine70

Imagine70 Forum Resident

Judging by the new Rory Gallagher (1971) release, these vinyl reissues appear to come complete with 16/44 WAV downloads including bonus tracks.

Crimson Witch and sennj like this.
  16. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Notes From San Francisco would be nice to have on vinyl.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  17. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I can't find these available on Amazon... am interested in getting Calling Card CD.

18. kwhisperer

kwhisperer Forum Resident

In case anyone is under the impression that the CD reissues are "bare bones" without bonus tracks - as I read in a few places - it's not true and all the bonus tracks are there.

laf848 and Crimson Witch like this.
  19. cacaaaaaaw

cacaaaaaaw Forum Resident

Crimson Witch and Spadeygrove like this.
  20. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Andy Pearce Mastering, same as the previous one‘s. No new mastering!

sound chaser and Crimson Witch like this.
  21. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

But there were a few titles that were not in the 2012/13 series, they might be worth getting.

noname74 and four sticks like this.
  22. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

If anyone picks up the vinyl for StageStruck could they please let me know? I contributed some photos to the last batch of remasters that were used in the booklet. If the vinyl has the same booklet I'd like to see how they look in there. In the CD booklet they are no bigger than postage stamps (disappointing)....

Natvecal. and Spadeygrove like this.
  23. Book of Saturday

Book of Saturday Forum Resident

Apropos of nothing in particular, I wanted to mention that I absolutely love Live In Europe and pretty much played the grooves off of my original vinyl copy in the '80's.

scotti and Spadeygrove like this.
  24. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Love that album, still have my original vinyl and it just states "Live" on the cover, but it is the 1972 tour...prefer this over Irish Tour...fantastic live album!

Some of these new reissues are very misleading. Since these are mostly the same 2012 remasters, as an example, wouldn't one be better off with the MOV version of say Top Priority over the new UME edition? Really getting tired of seeing the same master being sold as new...

25. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Forgot to say that my avatar to the left is one of the shots they used. In the CD booklet it is only 1/2 that avatar size! Such a shame because it is not only the best photo I ever took but I think it is one of the best rock shots of ANY band period, and not saying that because I shot it either - just that it perfectly captures the energy, passion, and excitement of a band rocking out. How I lucked out and was able to get Gerry's face contorted in rock ecstasy to the side on the left in addition to Rory possessed by his stratocaster with hair flying on the right is just amazing...

Here is a blowup:

[​IMG]

(ignore the white speckles - that is dust on my scanner!)

laf848, Man at C&A, Greg Gee and 25 others like this.