Led Zeppelin 50th anniversary hype..anyone else really don't care?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ronm, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Only thing I'd be excited for is all analog vinyl reissues.

aakko, joshm2286 and SirMarc like this.
  2. Leggs91203

Leggs91203 Forum Resident

The hipsters see irony too

Record companies tend to do that. Which is why re-releases have some previously unreleased track (because it sucked) or different album covers etc. Just a way to milk a little more money out of albums.

3. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

I understand why Jimmy Page remastered the catalog in the 1990's... even if the results were mixed at best, and had they been done correctly back then (and released as mini-LP vinyl replicas from the outset), they wouldn't have needed a remastering and reissue two decades later, except maybe as AAA vinyl reissues!

I understand why they released BBC Sessions in 1997... it was getting released with or without their co-operation. And again, if it had been done correctly first time out, it wouldn't have needed a remaster and reissue years hence... and especially not with three bootleg tracks of unacceptable quality for a major official release.

I understand why they released DVD and HTWWW in 2003... to have a proper live representation on the official canon. And as far as the latter goes, if it had been done correctly back in the day, it wouldn't need... etc, etc. Anyone sense a pattern emerging here...?

I understand why they remixed, remastered, and reissued the TSRTS film in 2007... it needed it, although they should have left the original album alone.

But it seems to me now that Page is in full-on 'legacy' mode; dredging the archives for every lick and spittle to be released when there's so very little left. I'm not interested in 1968 tapes (if that's what gets released); they were still raw and rough and finding their feet to a degree, a work in progress. I'll settle for Earl's Court and be very happy with it too, but really, what else of substance is left for release?

Jimmy clearly still loves being the center of attention, being looked to still as The Old Magus, the elder statesmen of rock with the magazine covers, the interviews, the radio specials, the online articles... but he clearly has forgot the lesson of late that his former friend, mentor, manager, and confidante Peter Grant (R.I.P.) knew only too well... namely about being over-exposed; that familiarity very much breeds contempt.

I LOVE Zeppelin, I still contend they're the greatest rock band of our age and they will never be equaled much less exceeded, but I'm getting a little bored and restless myself at Jimmy's strip-mining of the archives. Maybe he'll surprise us all and release something mind-blowing... but I'll not hold my breath, time has moved on, it's a little sad that James Patrick Page apparently hasn't.

Earl's Court? Yes please, sir. Anything else? Nah, we're good with that.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  4. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

They have a book coming out this fall, and Record Store day special editions.

5. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

They need to do a "How The East Was Won" with the early 70's Japan shows.

gelin, jay.dee and rockclassics like this.
  6. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

It's all good, but they shouldn't be cryptic and make fans hopeful for stuff like a 7" record.

7. The Hermit

The urban myth about a possible release of the Japan '71 multi-track tapes came from one single unverified source - Dave Lewis of Tight But Loose - as far as I'm aware, nobody has ever asked him where he got his info from, and he was also the one who stated the aforementioned multi-tracks had been wiped... which we know isn't the case, as Jimmy confirmed their current existence in the recent Uncut interview.

Maybe Lewis' info was correct, maybe it wasn't, but the fact that Jimmy still hasn't released them, and in fact went out of his way in the aforementioned Uncut interview to say they are not on the table at present for an imminent release, indicates to me that he's still not happy with how they sound, and thus not considering them as a potential future Zeppelin album... not in 2003, not in 2018, and likely not anytime soon.

Would like to be proved wrong, however; even though the '69-'73 live era is more than well covered in the Zep canon already, those shows in '71 are simply too good to ignore...

Chris Schoen likes this.
  8. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Yeah I bought the remasters for the bonus material, which to me wasn't as bad as everybody says, at least in some cases.. The BD/JS original masters are my go to's for the albums......

9. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

this does not move me...

Dynamic Ranger and Jimmy B. like this.
  11. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Me too.

Chemguy likes this.
  12. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It is unclear what the issue is with the Japan '71 tapes. Clearly JP is not happy with them. One suspects it is the sound quality rather than concerns with performance quality.

The Hermit likes this.
  13. Leggs91203

Leggs91203 Forum Resident

You mean like NOT digitally remastered or just vinyl, period?

As far as vinyl reissue, I have a very hard time imagining they HAVEN'T done new pressings.

Not that this matters but in 1992, some guy I went to HS with at the time wanted to trade me something and all he had was a LZ III LP that had some kind of spinning circle thing inside that you could change the look of the LP cover. Of course at the time i was only into metal so God knows what I did with that LP. Would be cool to have today for sure.

driverdrummer likes this.
  14. Spinmeout

Spinmeout Forum Resident

Haven't got decent copies of 2 and 3 on vinyl yet so maybe. But I always seem to buy new music and this classic stuff gets pushed further down my list. I'm happy with my original CD copies.

15. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

It’s hard to get excited when the company directors either do not care (Plant) or embarrass themselves by hyping up something that’s clearly underwhelming (Page).

ronm and ohnothimagen like this.
  16. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Id only care about unheard NEW unreleased songs from 1, 2 and possibly 3.

I always thought zep was way too indulgent live...

My 5 cents.

17. joshm2286

joshm2286 Forum Resident

I have all Zeppelin albums except Coda and three are represses and two are original 1st press on record. I have the first 4 albums on 1994 CD and Complete Studio box set. I personally like how the west was Won.

18. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Now a new Page solo album, containing NEW material.......I could get excited about that.

A regurgitation of old stuff yet again.......nah.....If you've nothing new musically to say, please close the door behind you.........

19. The Hermit

If you mean the recent studio album reissues, they HAVEN'T cut any new analog vinyl masters for them, Jimmy Page confirmed that fact in an interview during their release campaign... and the reason was... you guessed it, money... ol' Led Wallet strikes again; as if cutting new AAA vinyl masters straight from the original mixdown master-tapes would break the budget!!!

If you want Zeppelin on relatively recent AAA vinyl, the Classics reissues (mastered by Bernie Grundman) are recommended... be prepared to mortgage yer house to pay for 'em though!

20. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I don't care that much just because I'm not expecting anything significant from it. The recent, two-disc remasters were very underwhelming to me, especially compared to what they could have been with respect to the bonus material (which is all I really cared about--I almost never care about remasters of material I already have).

I'll get excited if some exciting release, with a lot of previously unreleased (including possibly new) material, or at least an official, good sound quality release of a show (or shows) previously only available via a not-so-great-sounding bootleg is definite--I'm still as big of a Zeppelin fan as always, but otherwise I'm not going to worry about it.

Olompali likes this.
  21. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

This is precisely why I'd be interested in 1968 tapes. Seriously if you hear about a case of spontaneous combustion on the day those tapes are released, it'll be me exploding in excitement. That first rehearsal is as far as I'm concerned, one of the top 3 most significant moments in music in the last 75 years. I'd love to hear Scandinavia '68 or the early UK gigs too.

I bet there's something early going to "emerge". E.g. Zep played Klooks Kleek in West Hampstead in March '69, and Cream were bootlegged there in '66, so bootleggers were clearly active in the UK, albeit less than they were in the US.

22. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

some of those new yardbirds shows may be interesting too

John Rhett Thomas likes this.
  23. Hillel abramov

Hillel abramov Forum resident

Instead of getting more remixed, remastered, etc, I would like them release the Medley-Communication Breakdown/Good Times Bad Times/For What It's Worth/I Saw Her Standing There/Communication Breakdown from LA 1970

Isaac McHelicopter likes this.
  24. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

I must admit I'm not too bothered. The chances of hearing something 'new' that is comparable to anything that has been officially released before are pretty slim by now I would have thought. I'll be interested to hear anything that is dug up but I'm certainly not on the edge of my seat!

25. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

I've got all the original pressings in good nick. I'm good.

Dynamic Ranger and ronm like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.