Led Zeppelin 50th anniversary hype..anyone else really don't care?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ronm, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

To me, Zep hasn't aged well mostly in the lyric department but I have to almost erase 76 to the end because the output was so ridiculously mediocre. If you could give me that band that was on Led Zep II forever, I'd take it and MAYBE be excited about a 50th year anniversary, but mostly, I just don't care.

Frankh likes this.
  2. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Depends on what they release.

3. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Folk down there really don't care, really don't care
    Don't care, really don't
    Which, which way the pressure lies
    So I've decided what I'm gonna do now

Frankh, Sean and The Trinity like this.
  4. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I do care about the new Robert Plant album

It is fantastic

5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

People would've complained about the retail price if they went AAA. Maybe not the people on this forum but the general public would've and let's face it they really don't care.

6. I have an open mind and will pay attention but doubt if anything will interest me enough to buy. Such a great group so there is a chance these releases will be really good.

mrcond likes this.
  7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

They haven't even announced anything for the 50th yet, at least not in terms of details so how do you know it's underwhelming?

If you are referring to this RSD release, I'd hardly call it over hyping. All they did was put up a facebook post with a picture along with a time and date. Fairly understated. Unfortunately, what happened was, everyone else overhyped it, which happens all the time, and now people are underwhelmed.

They weren't going to announce details of a Sept celebration in February. Too early. There's probably going to be more events before that so I'd be ready for people losing their minds over and over again. :)

8. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Jimmy remixed the live Yardbirds album so I'm set forever...

9. Fa La La

Fa La La Well-Known Member

Based on how much reaction the limited edition 7” single for RSD announced the other day has gotten I'd say, yes, many people care.

Sean likes this.
  10. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Anybody don’t care that someone else don’t care (sic)?

bobcat, Sean, joshm2286 and 3 others like this.
  11. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Why would AAA vinyl be necessarily more expensive than digitally-sourced vinyl?

joshm2286 likes this.
  12. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Honestly, I haven't kept up, but I assumed the BBC Sessions and How The West Was Won are part of this reissue bonanza that the OP is referring to and that's not enough to make me pay attention. If there's more, I'll take a look (whatever happened to those songs with JPJ on lead vocals that were mentioned in the last round of reissues?), but the only thing I know about Jimmy Page these days is via this board and it just seems to be him hyping up how great Led Zep were and stamping a few books.

DrBeatle likes this.
  13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Since your post was 42 minutes after Chattanooga's post, that would be a NO. :tiphat:

marcb and WarEagleRK like this.
  14. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

This is the only thing that excites me at this point.

jay.dee likes this.
  15. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Love Led Zeppelin and think they very much deserve their legacy of still being quite popular among rock fans and most music fans in general. But anniversaries... Every tenth anniversary there's something going on if not the void has already been filled with reissues and I don't know what. Is there really much vault material left that cuts the mustard? Who knows.

16. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Well, they announced that they forced Jason to change the name of his show from "Led Zeppelin Experience" to "Led Zeppelin Evening", as "something" related to the 50th will use the "Experience" name.

17. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

If Led Zeppelin are going to do anything for their 50th, they should consider a documentary instead of the standard reissues and live recordings. Get the surviving members telling their story, talking about the music, and putting their remarkable career into perspective. It's not a reunion tour, but it is a way to celebrate and mark what's been achieved - something even the reunion-shy Robert Plant has been willing to do in interviews.

Of course, you need the right director for this project. Someone who will primarily focus on the music but also won't be afraid to ask the band tough questions about the accusations of plagiarism (or Page-arism?) that hang like a shadow over Led Zeppelin's massive legacy.

...and yeah, find all the lost footage, occasional interviews, and newsreel highlights. So many of us who love Led Zeppelin were too young to appreciate them as an active recording and touring unit...you know, wait for the new album to be released and line up for days to score tickets to one of their legendary live shows.

joshm2286, mrcond, ronm and 3 others like this.
  18. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Looking forward to anything they release. I’ve been buying every new release from the first album to Presence. Never could stand In Through the Out Door. So, Jimmy, bring it on.

Sean likes this.
  19. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

A good long "Running Down A Dream" or "History of The Eagles" documentary would be perfect.

mrcond likes this.
  20. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

I saw them a little over 40 times starting in late 1968 so they are about in the middle of my list. Given their past release history I'm not holding my breath........

Terrapin Station and asdf35 like this.
  21. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Same here!

22. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Forty times? I’m impressed.

showtaper likes this.
  23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I don't recall them saying anything about that. Wasn't all that from Jason only? Might have missed their official announcement though.

Even if they did confirm that detail it would hardly be a case of over hyping .

24. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

No neither of those two releases are part of the 50th celebration. They're just a continuation of the previous reissue campaign.

bobcat and Sean like this.
  25. timind

timind phorum rezident

This sounds like something I'd enjoy seeing; I think my wife would even watch it. I rarely listen to LZ anymore so any music released would not interest me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.