Jethro Tull – Heavy Horses: New Shoes Edition, 5-disc set (9 February 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Jun 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

I gotta say Hard times version 1 still has the better flute line in the chorus :D

2. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

Oh joyful day, listening to this; car heater set to 77 in acknowledgement of year it was recorded
    [​IMG]

Runicen, johnny q, FVDnz and 2 others like this.
  3. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

Btw, anyone notice all the typos in the metadata. Come to think of it, I don't think I own a single CD where the metadata was entered perfectly. Don't they check that? How could no one notice at the record company? Irritating.

granata and FVDnz like this.
  4. georgwithoutane

georgwithoutane Forum Resident

Anyone know if this will be available on Apple Music, like all the other Steve Wilson remixes?

5. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

My DVD has visible marks on it, and won't play on my laptop's internal drive, though my external Blu-Ray handles it OK as does my home theater player.

6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The last few releases have shown up on streaming sites a few months after the CD release. For some reason an exception is War Child where the Wilson version is not on Spotify or any other streaming service I know.

7. electronicpaperboy

electronicpaperboy Forum Resident

You appraisal of these anniversary box sets are always welcome and usually worth the wait sir! (no pressure). Agree totally with Horse Hoeing Husbandry, it's already a lost classic, more so with each play.

Galeans likes this.
  8. electronicpaperboy

Me too, not on the surface, a cloudy patch of bloom to the layer beneath. I have yet to play it though.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  9. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I've only done a cursory sampling of the new mix, but I think SW managed another hat trick here.

The original was always a little to murky and indistinct to me. After the colorful party that was Songs from the Wood, this album always seemed like a drab, faded photograph. While it's certainly still a more laid back and a darker affair, there's a subtle vibrancy restored to the proceedings. Obviously, more time spent with it will either solidify or dash this impression, but that's my first blush.

Also, something that I was kind of hoping for... Ian's voice was uniquely hoarse for these songs. This made it both a little less "melodic" than was typical for him, but also gave it a really interesting texture. That tonal texture is very much buried in the original mix, but it's allowed out a bit more here. This may not be to everyone's liking, but I appreciated this sound from him and was curious to see the vocals brought out front more.

10. Jwag1

Jwag1 Forum Resident

Got mine today. Just finishing up CD1. Sounds great so far. Interesting that Rover and Moths was slightly slowed down...I thought I noticed it being slightly different. Steven Wilson has again delivered a steller remix.

deredordica, DaverJ and FVDnz like this.
  11. electronicpaperboy

I've always felt Ian's vocal has been 'lost' within HH. It's great to hear him sounding to the fore and hearing the lyrics. To me The new Wilson mix has opened up a very compacted dense sounding album. As you, I need to spin it a more few times for a proper assessment too. It's a special album for me, first Tull record etc., and very close to my heart.
    I should say as an album though, to me it's far more interesting than the 'pseudo folk rock' of Songs from the Wood, which sounds great, dynamic, but a bit obvious. Heavy Horses is more grow up and stands the test of time, IMO.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  12. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Wonder why the drums in Beltane sound flat. They sound louder than before though. Did Barrie use a different kit like he did in Velvet green?

13. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Got mine today from ImportCDS. Odd as some people bought from Amazon and won't get there's next week.

footlooseman likes this.
  14. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Anybody knows what would be the cheapest option for the EU right now?

15. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

A well respected man likes this.
  16. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

17. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

:righton:

18. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

Got mine delivered right to my office yesterday. Finally had time to open it now, listening to the 5.1 remix first. I'm on the extra tracks now. It sounds great on my modest HT system! The concert DVD will be up next.

Heavy Horses is probably my favorite post-1974 Tull album.

19. alx7

alx7 Forum Resident

They don't ship to Canada and Amazon.ca is delivery to me April 02. :confused: Too bad I could have saved big on this and got it 2 weeks.
    I gotta keep looking. 1 month to deliver in my own country?

20. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Did you try Burning Shed? The final invoice including shipping to Canada is 36.56£.

alx7 likes this.
  21. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

alx7 likes this.
  22. No. Heck, the meta data on ITunes is pretty awful at times as well but I believe sometimes that's created by whomever loads it up to iTunes.

deredordica likes this.
  23. I have the same problem. Honestly, did they drop these before they put them in the cardboard sleeve?

sound chaser likes this.
  24. alx7

alx7 Forum Resident

Thanks guys, I'll be checking into those two.

Nycademon likes this.
  25. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

They do that from time to time. For example one or two of the Warchild-era tracks that came out later weren’t included in their original mixes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.