New turntable advice

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Oatp1b1, Mar 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatp1b1

Oatp1b1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello. I'm currently looking at upgrading my turntable, but being fairly new to the vinyl thing (I've had a plastic Denon fully automatic for 4 years) I would really appreciate some advice.

What I want is to buy something that will last me for long without any hassles, and I want to buy locally (i.e. not from the internet or used). I would also prefer if the turntable had some kind of speed regulator without having to move the belt manually.
    My budget is 2.5K EUR/3K USD including pickup. My current setup is fairly laid back, so I think that I could introduce something more dynamic/energetic sounding to keep things interesting. The pickups that I'm primarily looking at is the Audio Technica OC9/III and Dynavector 10X5, but I'm open to suggestions since I've just based this on what I have read in reviews.
    I'm currently using Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grand SE with a Marantz PM15S1.

The options that I am looking at so far is:
    • Professionally restored Thorens TD125 with a Jelco 750D and AT OC9/III, ~ €2.5K
    • Professionally modded Technics SL-1210 MK2 (Jelco 10,5" arm, linear power supply, sorbothane feet, antiresonance platter etc) + Ortofon Quintet Black, ~€2.3K
    • Linn LP12 with Akito tonearm and Goldring G1020, ~€1.6K (demo from a local store, recently serviced)
    • Gold Note Valore 425+ with a Dynavector 10X5, ~ €2.3K
    • Avid Ingenium with a Jelco 750D and AT OC9/III, ~ €2.5K
    • Rega Planar 6 with either mentioned pickups or the Ania MC, ~ €2K
    • Music Hall MMF 7.3/9.3 with either mentioned pickup, ~€2K/~€2.5K
    • Acoustic Signature Primus with Jelco 750D and AT OC9/III, ~€2.3K
    • Some of the numerous Pro-Ject offerings
    • Clearaudio Concept MC, ~€2.5K
    • Audioblock PS-100+ and DV 10X5, ~€2K
    • Technics SL-1200GR + ?
    • Or take the cheaper route and buy a Rega RP3 with Planar3 parts that a local shop is selling for €500 (RP3 base plate, RB303 arm, P3 glass platter) and buy a very good pickup, Neo PSU and phono stage.
    Are there any of these alternatives that seems better or worse than the other?

Thanks! :)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  2. russk

russk Forum Resident

I'd go with the new Technics 1200GR. Not sure what it costs in Europe but in the U.S. it is definitely the best you can get for under 2K. Should leave you plenty of money for a nice cartridge and even a decent phono preamp if you need one.

McLover, dconsmack, bluemooze and 5 others like this.
  3. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Michell Gyro SE combined with a Michell TechnoArm might be worth adding to your list- a killer deck in its price bracket IMHO.

4. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

My eyes instantly go towards the Clearaudio and Linn. But if my intuition is right then you seem like the kind of person that would most appreciate something like a Technics, preferably the new GR.
    The problem with buying a pickup that is worth more than the table itself is that often times the table wont be able to let the cart perform like it should. With more expensive carts and styli profiles accurate installation becomes even more essential. Thats why the Planar 3 might not be an optimal route.

Also remember that at some point one option is pretty much just as good as another. Dont lose sleep over min maxing superficial differences because whatever you decide from that point is sure to make you happy.

5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I don't know about Swedish prices, but some of those look a little expensive, anyway considering how long and varied your list is I think the best advice is for you to demo as many decks as possible, with the same tracks, that way you will soon narrow the list down, some of those decks sound very different from others even with the same cart in the same system, I'm sure you will soon get an idea which approach you prefer.

I'd also second GyroSE's advice and add the Michell to the shortlist, also the Elac Miracord 90 Anniversary is a fantastic package within your budget and deserves an audition.

Cyclone Ranger, Pancat and GyroSE like this.
  6. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Since you are looking for dynamics / energy get the new Technics table. Suspended chassis and belt driven tables present a more lush, laid back sound.

bluemooze likes this.
  7. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Technics table with a Denon DL-110 cart. Get a neutral sounding phono pre-amp (Cambridge Audio?) :righton:

Robert C likes this.
  8. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Get a new Technics.

bluemooze likes this.
  9. glide

glide Forum Resident

“without any hassle”

I have owned a GyroSE and the setup alone is maddening. It is an excellent table but maybe not what OP is looking for.

10. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Setup is why you pay a good dealer and once setup the Gyro stays that way, just look at all the posts on here from people trying to get their carts properly aligned on the new Technics, yet nobody is saying it shouldn't be on the shortlist, because in reality most people don't have issues or dealers install the cart.

As I previously stated the only person who will know what's the right sound for the OP is the OP, so he really needs to spend the next few months auditioning decks, Linns and Technics do the same job in very different ways and sound very different, there are many good decks on the OPs list, but only he can decide the one that sounds most right for him.

Cyclone Ranger and GyroSE like this.
  11. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

• Professionally restored Thorens TD125 with a Jelco 750D and AT OC9/III, ~ €2.5K (I'd say this is too much money, plus I'm not a big fan of the 125 and I think that Jelco has now been replaced.)
    • Professionally modded Technics SL-1210 MK2 (Jelco 10,5" arm, linear power supply, sorbothane feet, antiresonance platter etc) + Ortofon Quintet Black, ~€2.3K (Again too much money for what you get and if you want a Technics get a GR either stock or modded.)
    • Linn LP12 with Akito tonearm and Goldring G1020, ~€1.6K (demo from a local store, recently serviced) (Listen for yourself, Linns devide opinion and I don't rate them, but many do and you might.)
    • Gold Note Valore 425+ with a Dynavector 10X5, ~ €2.3K (I might be getting my hands on one of these in a couple of months, but for now I can't comment, definitely worth auditioning.)
    • Avid Ingenium with a Jelco 750D and AT OC9/III, ~ €2.5K ( Would be a great comparison with the Thorens.)
    • Rega Planar 6 with either mentioned pickups or the Ania MC, ~ €2K (Good deck, definitely audition, may be outclassed by others listed.)
    • Music Hall MMF 7.3/9.3 with either mentioned pickup, ~€2K/~€2.5K (No idea, never heard one.)
    • Acoustic Signature Primus with Jelco 750D and AT OC9/III, ~€2.3K (Another I've never heard.)
    • Some of the numerous Pro-Ject offerings (Got to be worth a demo.)
    • Clearaudio Concept MC, ~€2.5K (Decent deck, but I've never heard one properly).
    • Audioblock PS-100+ and DV 10X5, ~€2K (No idea.)
    • Technics SL-1200GR + ? (If DD is your thing the Technics may be for you, also has upgrade possibilities, I'm tempted, but not as my main deck.)
    • Or take the cheaper route and buy a Rega RP3 with Planar3 parts that a local shop is selling for €500 (RP3 base plate, RB303 arm, P3 glass platter) and buy a very good pickup, Neo PSU and phono stage. (If you buy a cheaper deck you will always be thinking about what you are missing, go for the best you can afford.)
    Plus the Michell Gyro SE/TechnoArm (Beautiful and great performance.)
    Elac Miracord 90 Anniversary (Great all in one package, excellent performance and value.)

Pancat and GyroSE like this.
  12. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Check the Pioneer PLX-1000 out.

13. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

W
    well, i fitted a 10X5 to the TP13 arm on my Thorens TD150
    And found it to be a match made in heaven.
    The TD150 Mk1 (in my example) being IMHO The top of the tree sonically.
    Don,t go mad souping it up .
    Running properly in stock form it will see off much of the opposition

14. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

IMHO it's not very complicated to set a Gyro SE or an Orbe SE up as there are very informative and pedagogic instructions (including pics) on the internet. As Dubmart writes, it's pretty much set-and-forget- you (or the dealer) do set it up once and then it stays like that.

Pancat likes this.
  15. Oatp1b1

Thanks for your responses everyone (and your very informative PM GyroSE, thanks!). A lot of your views matched mine concerning the tables listed above, and I think I'll have to start auditioning some of them as soon as possible since my guess is that it will take quite some time to digest the list in practice. :) Really appreciate your opinions, since not very well versed in this area.

GyroSE and Dubmart like this.
  16. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

circa 2,500euros Funk Firm LSD or Pro-Ject Xtension 9 with a ortfon Quintet Black or AT33Sat

17. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The Funk Firm is a nice deck, but I doubt the OP can buy it locally in Sweden, it's not exactly common over here, however if it is available there it deserves to be on the list.

18. Just Walking

Just Walking Forum Resident

The TD150 is what Ivor Tieffenbrun based the LP12 on. The TD150, either I or II in a bolted on bargain as compared to an LP12. The weakness is the TP13 arm - both the vertical and horizontal "bearings" are pretty awful with very high friction and play. Replacing that with something period like an SME3009, or something more recent like a Jelco will (does) make the Thorens sing.

The only thing that is a must-do with a TD150 is to remove the bits of foam rubber from inside the suspension springs. Otherwise leave well alone.

19. Oatp1b1

There's a demo unit available for about 1k EUR without pickup but including arm and acromat platter .

20. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

You dont happen to live in Uppsala?

21. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Depending on the model and which arm that sounds like a bargain, the decks are very good and the arms can be excellent, though as I keep on saying you need to listen and compare it with other decks before making a decision, we all have different opinions on what sounds right, hence so many options.:)

22. Quogglot

Quogglot Well-Known Member

Hi there, I actually have a setup similar to the one you are interested in: the new Technics SL1200G with a Dynavector DV 20X2 L. Very good combination but be careful to the total mass of arm+cartridge+headshell....with such a heavy cartridge and medium-low compliance the headshell weight does the trick!

bluemooze likes this.
  23. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Happy (and relieved) to see so much support for the Technics 1200GR!

I'm picking mine up with a 2M Bronze installed this Friday...

24. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

Nottingham Analogue!

GyroSE likes this.
  25. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Yes
    . Yes, my other TD150 has the 3009 arm and a Shure v15 mk3
    Which is a superb combination.
    I am amazed at the TP13. It sounds a lot better than one would have a right
    To expect .good tracker!

Thread Status: