Record Store Day "RSD" April 2018 Releases*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cwd, Feb 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Thanks. Interesting. I'll have to put that one on the list. I enjoy the sound on my old compact disc of Mixed Up, will pass as well :)

2. Totti is god

Totti is god Forum Resident

Bowie Live in London 1978 3lp , and other Bowie stuff
    Tom Waits

3. Dr-Winston

Dr-Winston Forum Resident

I see some releases that I’m interested in on the lists but just as an exercise I took a look at the availability and price on Discogs of everything that I bought last year.

Everything is widely available still and most if it is quite substantially cheaper than the prices I paid so I feel a little ripped off to be honest. It seems the exclusive nature of these releases for the most part simply doesn’t hold true anymore and they are sold at jacked up prices on the day only to be discounted by retailers who still hold stock months later.

I can still support independent retailers by buying from them on Discogs when the queues have died down and the pricing becomes more realistic.

I think RSD is the one day a year that I’m unlikely to visit a record shop. That’s a real shame, I take no satisfaction from it.

4. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

c-eling and JeffMo like this.
  5. Chris S.

Chris S. Forum Resident

I saw a list yesterday. This was on on it.

izgoblin, edenofflowers and Boognish like this.
  6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Thinking same thing, and I would buy Mixed Up on vinyl since I have that thing on cassette!

c-eling likes this.
  7. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

The Bowie 78 and Grateful Dead Fillmore 69 guarantees I will be in line early on rsd!

RiRiIII, LeeGriffin and scotti like this.
  8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

In hindsight everything changes doesn't it?

On the other hand if you had waited till now, or later (however long that would have to be) to get the items you bought for substantially cheaper you wouldn't have the music to listen until later. Buying at the time means you got to enjoy it. If that has no value to you (and it's ok if it doesn't not everyone can afford to buy right then right there all the time) then waiting is a better option.

I waited, then realised I actually didn't want many of the things I had put on my list to begin with. After not having them for months and months it became a non-issue and in some cases they were available later on anyway in some other form or other.

So far there's one thing on my list, the Spiritualised "F**ked Up Inside" release. I have the original but the reissue was mastered especially for vinyl so it might be worth it. I'll need to peruse the official list on Tuesday though. I keep things pretty tight these days on RSD. It's easy to get caught up in the frenzy and spirit of the day and walk away with more than you really need or want.

9. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Unless it's something I'm really interested in and I feel the list price is reasonable (that Baroques reissue from last fall, for example) I can almost always wait. In most cases, they end up in the remainder bin at Newbury Comics and I can pick them up for short money. That's how I got all those Parlophone mono reissues. Those Animals 10" EPs were at $1.99 before they finally disappeared.

In short, there's no reason to stress over Record Store Day pricing or availability, since with a little patience, you can buy damn near any of the releases for less than list price.

10. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

What is it?

11. cwd

cwd Forum Resident Thread Starter

I would like now to officially change this thread title to "Why I Don't Like Record Store Day"/"How I Can Get Everything I Want Anyway Later I f I Wait So I'm Not Going And It's REALLY Important For Everyone To Know that Valuable Data So The World Doesn't End."

12. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Matrix 1967. There's a list from Warner on page 12

Jim B. likes this.
  13. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Sorry to offend. And anyway, I'll be there on the day for the Redd Kross reissue, so...

troggy likes this.
  14. cwd

cwd Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not offended and not a personal thing-I just don't like seeing an update and checking in to learn something just to learn about someone's personal philosophy. Just saying.

jonj and Mr. Explorer like this.
  15. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I love that store. Been there 2x on my last 2 trips to the Golden State.

markp and Mr. Explorer like this.
  16. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

One item I bought last year for $16 is still much more on Discogs/eBay. Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit ‎– Live From Welcome To 1979 is running at least $80. There are other examples as well. I can't recommend waiting unless it is something that you only sort of want. If the early lists are correct, there's already a couple items I have to have. So I'll be there as well.

matt79rome89 and Mr. Explorer like this.
  17. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Great titles for A and B-side of a RSD "7 on colored vinyl, indeed.

Jimijam, Mr. Explorer and cwd like this.
  18. c-eling

You do Jeff? Good grief, sell it man while there hot! :laugh: I'm waiting for compact discs to be cool again :cool:
    Wasn't a follow-up supposed to done at one point? Maybe it's that- I'm definitely in!

19. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Yeah I bought it and Kiss Me x3 on that format for the "one additional track"....

Kiss Me I also bought on other formats, but not Mixed Up!

c-eling likes this.
  20. c-eling

oldturkey likes this.
  21. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

It's really annoying that this is a RSD... I've been waiting for the vinyl since the album was released late last year and then they have to make it an effing RSD limited edition -- which I'm pretty sure won't be on the US list.

ToEhrIsHuman likes this.

22. The only MUST from that list for me is Bradley's Barn......

23. I have the last Doors Live from the Matrix. What is different here????

24. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

That’s the thing, I buy records every other week, but the one day of the week I pretty much can’t go Record shopping is a Saturday, I just have too many commitments on that day eg, taking the kids to and from various activities. However that doesn’t mean I haven’t been able to get any RSD release that I’ve wanted, and without paying over the odds either.

Last year I was actually out the country on RSD but I still managed to pick up a copy of Cracked Actor, the only thing I really wanted and was prepared to pay over the odds for, about 4 weeks later in a local store, and subsequently on a visit to my inlaws a few weeks later the two record stores in the town where they live had three copies of it still in stock between them.

I have in the past done the whole queueing up outside the store for it to open, but experience of the past 3 or 4 years has shown me that in reality there are very very few things that genuinely sell out and become scarce and 3xpensive after the initial hype, and for me it’s actually more fun discovering that “elusive limited edition” weeks after the event.

As a wise man once said “unlimited edition, with an unlimited supply”

turnersmemo and Dr-Winston like this.
  25. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Different? You don't have the one that is being sold to you at inflated costs on RSD in 2018. Duh.

(I actually don't know...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.