Bob Dylan "The Bootleg Series" – overview and possible future projects

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by My Echo My Shadow And Me, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I wouldn't count on either one this year. Next year, maybe. They like to space out the Bootleg Series. There might be some kind of Legacy release this year, but I wouldn't count on that either.

2. My Echo My Shadow And Me

My Echo My Shadow And Me Forum Resident Thread Starter

I totally agree about 1974. My personal favorites are the Toronto and Largo shows. I included New York/Seattle/Oakland/Los Angeles, because those are the only 1974 shows that were recorded on multitrack and thus could be given a new mix that is closer to what the shows sounded like in the arenas. Lets hope they at least have mono line-out recordings of the earlier shows.

Richard--W likes this.
  3. Richard--W

Of course. You're right about the four venues that Columbia recorded on multitrack, but I've never seen anything to suggest that Dylan or Columbia made line-out tapes at the board of Chicago / Philadelphia / Toronto / Montreal. We're in the wishful "what if" realm about other 1974 concerts.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  4. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Love Before The Flood. My favorite live album. Absolutely in my Top Ten Dylan albums. It's just a monster.

maui jim likes this.
  5. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

They've released a Bootleg Series every year since 2013, except for 2016 which is when we got the big 1966 live box set. A Bootleg Series or multi-disc live set is very likely to come out this Fall, as the "source" suggested in Rolling Stone:

What's Next for Bob Dylan's Bootleg Series?

Sean, Dark Horse 77 and Richard--W like this.
  6. Richard--W

Okay, the regularity has tightened up but it's still not every year since the Bootleg Series started. If that's the case, however, they may need more time to complete a Rolling Thunder Revue collection. They're talking about live shows, studio outtakes, and a video documentary.

I hope they get someone better than whoever was in charge of the Trouble No More documentary; the concert footage is fine but the assembly stinks. The concert videotaping made a better film before they started editing it. That documentary is a major screw-up. Cutting Dylan's raps and audience interaction was a bad idea, and replacing them with Michael Shannon's raps was an even worse idea. I can't believe they went ahead with it.

Taxman and Jimmy B. like this.
  7. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

:) More like wishful thinking on my part. I mean, the person who has the soundboard of Carnegie Hall 1965 hasn't coughed-up yet so it's early days to expect the JWH outtakes to surface.

bobcat likes this.
  8. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

BTW, re your avatar, time to change it to: "England - in the rain & the wind & the snow?"

Percy Song likes this.
  9. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Yea, that was my only disappointment with that set.

10. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Indeed. In the rain and the wind and the snow, with my friends from beyond the hedge....

[​IMG]

...but if you think I'm going to stand on my head in this weather you must be crazy; I wouldn't do it for all the farms in Cuba. :)

#

11. Richard--W

If a Blood On the Tracks set becomes a reality I would expect them to include the Columbia Half-Speed Master as one of the discs:

[​IMG]

Dylan ordered the regular edition of the album speeded up by two or three seconds, which is how we've all heard it since day of release, but the Half-Speed Master is the only edition that plays at the natural speed. What a huge difference that makes.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  12. mark winstanley

the speed of the blood on the tracks master .... this is the first i have heard of it and i am looking but cannot find any information anywhere. do you have any info?

Richard--W likes this.
  13. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Are you saying that only the Half Speed Master has the correct speed? Or do you mean that's the only vinyl that's correct? Because I could swear I've heard "Tangled Up in Blue" at both speeds--I have that track across multiple CD releases-- and it's been years since I listened to the original vinyl.

Richard--W likes this.
  14. Richard--W

I'm saying that the tapes rolled at the usual speed when the album was being recorded, but Dylan ordered the analog master speeded-up for the pressing. The speeded-up pressing is the correct speed because that's what Dylan wanted, but the actual speed at which it was recorded is the correct speed because that's the speed at which reel-to-reel tapes roll.

For example, the outtakes, a couple of which have appeared officially on Biograph and several which have appeared unofficially, play at the actual recording speed. No speed-up on the outtakes.

Half-speed masters were an early attempt at audiophile pressings in the early 1980s, involving the use of master-tapes and a slower-turning lathe. The upgrade in sound quality was quite distinct even on non-audiophile systems. Perhaps Steve Hoffman could explain the technology better than I can.

The Half-Speed Masters series was priced higher than the standard editions, limited in number, and only in business for a short time. By 1984 the series had been discontinued.

I did an ebay-search and found other titles in the Columbia Half-Speed Master series:

columbia half-speed master LP in Music | eBay

Trust me: if you're a vinyl collector, you want these.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    Sean and redsock like this.
  15. mark winstanley

i understand what you're saying, i used to work in a studio and had my own for years.
    i am saying i have never heard this before, and looking around could find no info on it.
    for example kind of blue, one side of the record was mastered incorrectly and was off pitch for years, until the remaster was done. lots of people were talking about that, i have never heard that about this album anywhere. i'm just curious

Richard--W likes this.
  16. Richard--W

Wish I could offer further documentation and technical info, but I don't have any. An explanatory paper describing the process was included inside the album. But this was a long time ago.

mark winstanley likes this.
  17. Richard--W

Mark, check out this page on discogs:

Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks

There is a brief explanation on the page.
    Click on "more images" at upper left. The explanatory page included with the album is there, although not so easy to read.

mark winstanley likes this.
  18. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I'd love to hear complete remixes of those poorly produced 80s LPs, like Empire Burlesque. Strip off the gating and reverb, EQ Bob properly so he's in THIS room not THAT room... it could bring some tunes new life.

Bootleg Series-Returning the 80's

Sean, redsock, Mr. Explorer and 2 others like this.
  19. mark winstanley

thank you sir

Sean, Mr. Explorer and Richard--W like this.
  20. I agree with you! I watched it once and it might as well be a drinks coaster now. What a complete and utter waste of time. Why did they bother? As bad ideas go this one rates somewhere close to the top!

21. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

It's well understood that Dylan wanted it this way. Probably not the best way to go about it but it's his artistic decision. I'm with you though, it could have been better.

SteveM likes this.
  22. Muddy

Muddy Large Member

Strange that you actually missed one that was rumored in the works at one time:

The complete sessions for Good As I Been To You and World Gone Wrong.

TBH, I would have much preferred that to this last one.

Just my opinion, of course.

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

When was that rumored? I completely missed that one. The Bromberg Sessions, in particular (if they count) would be very welcome to hear.

Fred1970 and Sean Murdock like this.
  24. Muddy

Muddy Large Member

Several years back. I think it was before the release of Another Self-Portrait or just around that time. I don't know how far along they got with it, but I heard about it from a very reliable source (pretty sure it was reported in Rolling Stone, too).

25. Richard--W

I just received my vinyl copy of Bootleg Series 7: No Direction Home - The Soundtrack. Still sealed with the stickers on the front. Big hefty box shipped in a bigger heftier box with form-fitting cardboard squares to protect the corners and neatly unrolled bubble-wrap to protect the shrink-wrap. Apart from the fast-shipping (which I paid extra for) let it be said these vinyl packages with the big pictorial covers can be habit-forming, if not addicting. The CD set is the same, of course, but it doesn't compete with the impact of the size. Several more are incoming. I'll wait til I pull together the new vintage analog system before I open it. Finding the speakers to match my The Fisher are the problem.

Sean, Hep Alien and Mr. Explorer like this.