Jethro Tull – Heavy Horses: New Shoes Edition, 5-disc set (9 February 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Jun 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minor scuffs on my DVD 2 that I purchased from a Bullmoose music brick and mortar. I am not bothered by these minor scuffs as the disk plays fine and I don't intend to sell this gem anytime. It appears from comments here that most, if not all, the DVD 2s were scuffed in the production or insertion process.

2. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

My DVD 2 has a couple of "foggy" areas on it. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I am not confident that it will play.

slipkid likes this.
  3. ChrisH

ChrisH Forum Resident

That's it 'foggy'. I don't care as it seems to play OK, but as I said to Burning Shed just concerned it might get worse over time. That's the issue for me.

4. The Hud

I am glad it played for you.

I sent a message to Rhino Records. Maybe if enough of us contact them they will issue replacements.

shadlet likes this.
  5. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Mine probably has the same thing that you describe. Plays and rips perfectly.

The Hud likes this.
  6. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

7. The Hud

Pretty impressive for a $40 set, and well deserved!

tootull likes this.
  8. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

Hmm...I wonder then if it's some sort of Unicode issue (even though it's the 21st century)...

9. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Please share your contact at Rhino Records. If enough people complain they might do something about it..........

shadlet and Lands End Drums like this.
  10. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

Purchased mine from Amazon US and my DVD2 looks fine but seeing how many here are having issues I think it warrants a closer inspection, I just gave it a casual look after the first reports of scratches.

Seems production errors are the norm rather than the exception with bigger sets these days, shame. All part of the devaluation of music and physical media.

Six Bachelors and ParloFax like this.
  11. The Hud

I just went to the Rhino website and filled out the form on the "Contact Us" page.

12. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

Same here. Bought at Amazon UK. Haven't played it yet.

13. SGene

SGene Senior Member

Arrived!! My god this looks amazing! Probably the set I’ve been most psyched about out of all of them.
    I’m hitting Play now. I may be gone for quite some time :)

DaveJ, Tom34772, alx7 and 1 other person like this.
  14. The Hud

Here is the response I got from Rhino:

Hello Jacob,

We are very sorry to hear that. You will however need to contact your point of purchase on that item, and we sincerely hope they are able to help you assist in the matter. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank You,

Daniel
    Rhino Store - Homepage | Rhino

Not really a surprise since I did not purchase from them.

15. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

So, what’s going on with Ian’s voice during this period? I’ve heard him recently and know he’s having problems, but, he’s awesome on A, Under Wraps, Broadsword, Crest Of The Knave, etc. Why does his voice sound so weird on Heavy Horses and Bursting Out? (I guess I’ve never heard these albums before)

Also, I do not love the sound of the CD. It’s possibly my least favorite Steven Wilson remix. I haven’t heard the high resolution yet, but, the CD “layer” sounds too modern EQwise and compression wise. Maybe it’s not brickwalled down to 4 and 5 dB, but, the sound of the lookahead limiting is heavily effecting the vocal consonants and kick transients in a very unpleasant way.

Hopefully, the high res and 5.1 make this set worthwhile.

16. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

Another DVD2 foggy-blotches-under-the-surface recipient here. FWIW, received from ImportCDs. Will probably try ripping the disc first.

Doug

17. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Admittedly quantity verses quality of the new material this is the weakest of anniversary series but the album and Living in these hard times are so good that it doesn’t matter :D

18. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Well, my copy of DVD#2 also has the foggy quality others have mentioned. Haven't played it yet. And of course, my five-disc Aqualung's blu ray still won't play. Thank God I paid out the wazoo for a corrected copy of Thick as a Brick, otherwise, there would have been issues with all three of my Wilson Tull boxes.

19. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

Got it today. Great set. Actually, I bought it specifically for that alternate version of "Living In These Hard Times", but again, this is a fantastic reissue from the Tull camp.

20. This box set really makes Bursting Out redundant. Who prefers the flute improv from the Madison Square Garden show to this one?

deredordica and geodos like this.
  21. electronicpaperboy

electronicpaperboy Forum Resident

tinnox and tootull like this.
  22. electronicpaperboy

electronicpaperboy Forum Resident

Most of us here would probably think he vocally peaked with this album?

tinnox likes this.
  23. I think his vocals were most pleasing on Too Old...

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  24. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Tull is on fire, again!
    [​IMG]
    To join in the worship
    Of the light that never dies

Runicen, alx7, geodos and 1 other person like this.
  25. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'm sending a message too. They need to hear from many people on this to at least be aware of the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.