Jethro Tull – Heavy Horses: New Shoes Edition, 5-disc set (9 February 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Jun 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I always edit his flute solos down to about a quarter lenght :D

JulesRules likes this.
  2. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

I've got the cloudiness issue on my DVD as well. It was made in the EU, as I presume they all are. However, it plays absolutely fine so I'm not complaining.
    This is a really great set - it seems like they keep getting better and better with each release.

Galeans likes this.
  3. hugo.polo

hugo.polo Forum Resident

I was also a bit puzzled when I first heard the album 20 years ago. I grew to love his voice on here though. The roughness adds to atmosphere.

Yes I’m not sold on the mix myself yet. I feel there is too much separation in the EQ, which adds clarity, but sounds too different from the original. It’s like the bass EQ was all concentrated on Cornicks’ bass and the rest is all mids and highs. And there is some weird compression going on like you mentioned. Mind you the mix is fine, but it doesn’t impress me like Minstrel did or Aqualung and others.

Joseph LeVie likes this.
  4. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

Add me to the growing list of cloudy & scratched DVDs. Got mine from Deep Discount. Played fine on my Oppo BDP-103. Concerning, but I'll wait and see if a recall or replacement is offered.

Listening to this Berne show brought back memories of seeing Tull at Madison Square Garden in '78. As I recall, John Glascock was ill at that time and Tony Williams was filling in on bass. I Wish I could have seen John play as he is one of my favorite bass players.

5. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I haven't listened to the CDs yet, but I love the 5.1 DTS 96/24!

FritzL and DaverJ like this.
  6. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I listened to the stereo remix on the CD yesterday. I like it myself. It definitely beats the remastered CD from several years ago. No Lullaby was enjoyably crank-able, and Rover still brings a tear to my eye.

As for Ian's voice, didn't I read earlier in this thread that he was fighting a cold at the time he was laying down vocals?

Galeans likes this.
  7. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

You were sold a disc that would play on a DVD player, not one that didn't look "foggy" to your eyes when you shine a bright light on it. That side is for a laser, not for you to worry about how pretty it is.

8. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

My copy arrived today. DVD 2 has some smeary spots, but the video element played on my player which is all I care about. (I don't have a surround setup, so I wasn't going to listen to the 5.1 mixes.)

The book with the set names five live tracks that ended up on Bursting Out. I'll need to listen some more, but there are some other tracks that, to my ears, sure sound like the Bursting Out versions.

Great news about the chart position, but there's a caveat: I believe chart positions count every disc in a set, in which case every Heavy Horses set counts for five Justin Timberlake CDs.

9. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I agree.

But it is an unpopular opinion on this board...

Vaughan likes this.
  10. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Graham, tinnox, keiron99 and 2 others like this.
  11. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Jethro Tull - "Heavy Horses" (New Shoes Edition) to be released in February 2018! - Page 7
    The artwork for this six track EP is based around the original single 'Moths', using the same shot of Ian Anderson on the cover and replacing the original black and white for colour. This title comes out following the 40th anniversary release of Heavy Horses, which ‘Moths’ first featured on, and also coincides with it being Jethro Tull’s 50th anniversary year. Worldwide run of 6500.

[​IMG]

12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

True. But the DVDs in the Heavy Horses set could possibly become defective over time due to a pressing issue. Certain pressings of Blu-rays included in the DSOTM Immersion set have stopped playing after playing fine for an extended amount of time. So there is a cause for concern IMO.

13. jirie123

jirie123 Forum Resident

Yesterday I've played my New shoes edition 24/96Khz stereo.
    Absolutely stunning sound quality!
    Jethro Tull invited my living room!
    Great job Mr. Steven Wilson :righton:

Runicen and DaverJ like this.
  14. electronicpaperboy

electronicpaperboy Forum Resident

There must be someone on a SH forum who works or worked as a technician in a digital pressing plant who knows what caused this marking and whether there are any short term or long term issues related to it. There's probably a name for it? The optimist in me thinks they would be pretty stupid not to notice this visual disfigurement especially if it led to playback issues. Then we can all relax and move on. Then again.......

Bill Mac and shadlet like this.
  15. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

I feel the same about the original mix flat transfer.

16. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I think I am reading what you are saying correctly, so I will say I respectfully disagree. I think the unreleased bonus tracks here are as strong as any of these releases and I have them all. No problem, all Tull fans...........

DreamTull, DaveJ, Nycademon and 3 others like this.
  17. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I sometimes dream that a new release will get universal praise. Instead, if something is drop dead gorgeous, we seem to spend cycles trying to come up with things to complain about. A particular track missing from a CD that runs at 75 minutes? The DVD has a mark on it? The DVD looks slightly cloudy? No video?

I love a good moan myself, goodness knows. But if ever there was a release undeserving of angst it's this, surely? £30 for a package that is the definitive, and final, physical release of Heavy Horses you'll need this lifetime. That this is a labor of love is write large over every aspect of the release I can hardly believe that with this level of care and attention, we're complaining about the opacity of a DVD that, actually, plays fine. Bravo! Call me surprised.

Jimijam, Runicen, rikki nadir and 7 others like this.
  18. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

19. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

I think people are concerned this opacity or physical damage, or whatever it is as I haven't seen it, will damage or interrupt playback in the future, kind of what happened to the DSOTM disc from the Immersion Box Set. To tell you the truth, this is a concern for me too, and I am generally not picky with slight physical damage from the packaging, but I suppose it's a possible concern. The price is excellent, agreed, but what about its availabilty in the future if something does meddle with playback. After all, these are limited editions.

Jimijam, bobcat, slipkid and 5 others like this.
  20. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

The DSOTM discs are different, both of my failed BD's look perfect, totally visibly defect free, one day they would play the next day they didn't. The Heavy Horses problem is different, foggy scuffed discs.. Fwiw my HH DVD 2 is perfect..

Plan9 and raimiz1991inc like this.
  21. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

I imagine that in the future it may cause playback issues if the discs are scuffed, correct?

22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Why superficial scuffs that don't affect playback now would affect playback in the future?

If you're thinking about "disc rot", it is actually invisible until it renders the disc unplayable (e.g. the DSOTM Blu-Ray).

raimiz1991inc and Pete Puma like this.
  23. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

This is what I don't get.

Of course... I've never understood the mysterious disintegrating Floyd DVD either... so I'm no expert.

24. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

That's because the polycarbonate plastic layer that protects the metallic layer containing the information wasn't fixed properly, so oxygen gets in gradually between the two and oxidise the data layer, effectively destroying it over time.

25. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

In my experience, no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.