Mary Poppins Returns (???!!!!)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by feinstei9415, Mar 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Possible names for the sequel:

Mary Poppins - The New Batch
    Mary Poppins - Electric Boogaloo
    Mary Poppins - Judgment Day
    Mary Poppins - Apocalypse

2. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I'm still holding out for the Shary Bobbins movie.
    [​IMG]

3. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

I don't understand all the negativity towards a sequel film.
    There are a number of sequel books written by P.L. Travers, including "Mary Poppins Comes Back".
    The teaser trailer appears to at least have some connection to "Mary Poppins Comes Back".

Mary Poppins - Wikipedia

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

New here, eh? ;)

People love to bitch about sequels period, but when it's a sequel to a very old, much-loved film like "Poppins", the knives come out even more.

I don't see the problem. Even if the movie stinks, so what? Forget it and move on! :shrug:

5. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I don't think I agree. A drag would be Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Ignatius likes this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I was hoping for "Sherry Bobbins" as the new rebooted character...

7. Oatsdad

More than one movie can drag, y'know! ;)

But I do agree that "CCBB" suffers from terrible pacing issues:

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang [Blu-Ray] (1968)

8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

She's not a bloody Jukebox!

9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I read all the books when I was a 2nd grader. Don't remember a great deal about them, but I obviously must have liked them. Given all this source material is available, this will (hopefully) not be a case where they make a sequel that's a lame quasi-remake of the original. There's absolutely no need for that, because they have a wealth of material by the character's creator. I've often wondered why Tim Burton did not take this approach with Willie Wonka. Instead of his tepid remake, he should have done a film version of Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, which I always thought was a better story anyway.

Runicen likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

Yeah - I loved "Glass Elevator" as a kid! Can't remember a darned thing about it now, though, but I did really enjoy it back then - and suspect I agreed with you that it topped "Factory"! :righton:

czeskleba likes this.
  11. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

I read somewhere (though I can't find a source right now) that Roald Dahl hated the changes the Wolper film made to 'Chocolate Factory' so he barred anyone from making 'Elevator'. A position that his estate is still adhering to.

12. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Have yet to see the original

:hide::hide::hide::hide:

eric777, Solitaire1 and Encuentro like this.
  13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I know that was true during his lifetime, but I wonder if it is still true now? I wish he had made a provision barring sh**ty remakes also. Burton's insertion of the corny and contrived backstory about Willie Wonka having a dentist father and unresolved daddy issues was quite horrid, far worse than any changes made in the original film.

goodiesguy and Runicen like this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I swear to god, I read an article about P.L. Travers in the 1990s (she didn't pass away until 1996) where she was still so angry about the 1964 Disney film, she put a clause in her will forbidding anybody to take any of the rest of her Mary Poppins stories and make new movies out of them. A Broadway producer did successfully convince her in the early 1990s to let him do a stage musical, but the stipulation was that it was only a version of the 1964 film, not any new material.

I'm very curious how Disney got around this problem. I'm glad they did, because they literally could do five or six more Poppins films out of the material in the four or five books Travers wrote during her lifetime.

Steve Carras and SandAndGlass like this.
  15. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I'm right there with ya.

16. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I work at the New Amsterdam Theatre where the Broadway version of ‘Mary Poppins’ played. The creators added the basic plot from the movie with additional material taken from the books with new songs included. The plot line again centered on the stern, distant father learning to appreciate and cherish his family. The show tours around the country and I highly recommend for folks to catch a performance of it if plays in your area.

Vidiot likes this.
  17. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

My son was in the pit band when it played in our area, so I saw it many times. It is a decent version--and it includes flying!

John K.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    MikaelaArsenault and FredV like this.
  18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I love the original movie and all I ask is that this one not suck. I know it probably won't be as good as the original, but I just don't want it to be awful. That isn't asking too much, is it? I wonder if it will be a musical? I hope the songs are good.

19. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Dick Van Dyke speaks out about the new Mary Poppins....

Brian Mc and Encuentro like this.
  20. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident Thread Starter

And here's Julie Andrews....

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  21. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

"It's time." - Julie has spoken.

22. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

The original is indeed a mixed bag. It goes on too long such as the I Love To Laugh sequence and the whole Jolly Holiday set piece. Some judicious editing was sorely missed. Another problem is having the character of Mary Poppins disappear for long stretches of the film. All the much loved parts and songs though, make the film an enjoyable viewing but yeah, that's a long couple of hours. I would expect any re-imagining to be darker and less cheery.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Walt Disney said in the 1960s that Mary Poppins was <paraphrasing> "the greatest film I ever achieved, the sum total of my career," since it encompassed fantasy, cartoon animation, and a heart-warming story with memorable songs. I think it's a really, really great film. "Practically perfect in every way," you might say.

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

SandAndGlass and Runicen like this.
  25. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

in this year of 2018, they should have made this a male version.....equality and all.
    :uhhuh:

Jack Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.