Pink Floyd RSD 2018 (mono Piper)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

None in Canada?

Hillel abramov likes this.
  2. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Didn't see that so far but I think it's likely some copies will be there, too.

3. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

That was my thinking - I was just surprised to read them using "cut from the analog masters" in the press release, which usually - not always - indicates the mastering engineer is cutting from tape, not digital.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  4. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that the "bonus tracks" are download-only and aren't actually on the LP itself.

5. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

I see a grand total of one (1) LP record in this photograph, not two (2) LP records as the stated included musical content would justify/make necessary. Can someone 'splain this lack of a pictured second disc? I refuse to believe that this release will have all of the content squashed onto one (1) LP, yet all the listing so far only make specific mention of a single, solitary LP. Color me concerned.

alx7, Jimijam, uzn007 and 3 others like this.
  6. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Nope, nobody can explain it because nobody knows yet. It's early days.

7. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

That is odd, though. Are you sure you saw ''Cut from the analog masters'' and not ''Remastered from the original analogue tapes''? If so, you may be onto something...

8. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

The Canadian copies will probably come from th US, like the previous reissues.

9. giantleech

That would make sense, considering the lack of a pictured second LP and the item's alleged price point. Download only tracks? If so, what a wasted opportunity for what could have been a swank, fleshed out double LP set.

rontoon likes this.
  10. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Awesome. My wish has come true - finally.

Natural E likes this.
  11. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

alx7, polchik, rontoon and 3 others like this.
  12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

As long as they're HD Audio files I'd be okay with that.

rnranimal likes this.
  13. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Actually, the double LP should have been done two years ago by releasing the stereo along with the mono, methinks. However, I do like the new cover that andrewskyDE posted. Looks gorgeous.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  14. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I saw something like that, too. But the announcement varies in many websites, same with the content (if there's a bonus disc or not).

15. giantleech

Canada is like the USA's attic (or America's hat) so we'll throw some copies over the border for you crazy kids up there to enjoy and not feel left out on.

The Ole' Rocker and rontoon like this.
  16. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

polchik and Paully like this.
  17. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

If not, we'll just get the Europeen pressings as we sometimes do - with better quality control.

alx7 and andrewskyDE like this.
  18. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Yup, on the superdeluxeedition.com blurb, second paragraph: "This is a new mono remaster by James Guthrie, Joel Plante and Bernie Grundman. The vinyl masters were cut in 2018 from the original analogue mono master tape." I'm not holding my breath, but then, I was surprised when the Beatles Mono Box was done all-analog after the digitally-sourced stereo vinyl remasters...

19. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

I don’t like the idea of Record Store Day involving downloads.

20. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I think it's important to remember that nothing official has been said about downloads. Frankly, regardless of the mock up photo, I think we're looking at at least two discs here, but I may be wrong.

Logically, there seems to be several possibilities:

1. The mockup picture showing only one LP may have been created before the decision to include a second disc.

2. There may actually be two different versions, one with just the Piper album and the other with Piper plus additional tracks. I have noted that it's the Record Store Day website that lists Piper plus singles and other odds, but the UK-based SuperDeluxeEdition site (at least I THINK it's UK-based) only mentions the Piper album. Perhaps the US-edition includes a second disc but the European version contains only the one LP.

3, Maybe there's two separate editions on both sides of the pond

4. Maybe the extra singles and other tracks are on alternative media such as CD or download.

However, it's important to keep in mind that NONE of this is known for sure at this point, and none of these options can be positively deduced from the information offered to date. Basically the information we have been given is incomplete and can seem contradictory. But it's not even been 24 hours and there's well over a month before the actual release date so I expect more will be revealed and clarified.

21. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I'll have to remember to bring a pan to hit you over the head if you're in front of me then.

Goldy, andrewskyDE and troggy like this.
  22. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I do want that poster, and the gold Columbia label is a nice touch.

andrewskyDE, 81531 and dkmonroe like this.
  23. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

I won't be there. I'll have it before RSD, :shtiphat:

andrewskyDE and Deek57 like this.
  24. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I may too. We'll just have to see how lucky the store I work for is.

andrewskyDE, troggy and rontoon like this.
  25. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

If you could please provide your review at that time, it would hopefully tell me whether camping out is worth it or not. :)

uzn007 and cwitt1980 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.