Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Great photo! Who's the photographyer?

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I believe it's Herman Leonard.

A fellow jazz traveler sent me a blow up of the pork pie hat making article that I had framed on the wall in my office for the final years of my career in state employment. 99 percent of the people who saw it. . . had no idea who Lester Willis Young was.

rxcory and Carraway like this.
  3. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Oscar Pettiford Orchestra – Deep Passion (ABC–Paramount / Impulse! — GRP Records)

[​IMG]

1956 sessions: Art Farmer, Ernie Royal (t), Jimmy Cleveland (tb), David Amram, Julius Watkins (frh), Gigi Gryce (as, arr.), Jerome Richardson (ts, f), Lucky Thompson (ts, arr.), Danny Bank or David Kurtzer (bar), Oscar Pettiford (vc, b), Janet Putnam (hrp), Tommy Flanagan (p), Whitey Mitchell (b), Osie Johnson (d).

1957 sessions: Ray Copeland (t), Art Farmer or Kenny Dorham (t), Al Grey (tb), David Amram, Julius Watkins (frh), Gigi Gryce (as, arr.), Benny Golson (ts, arr.), Jerome Richardson (ts, f), Sahib Shihab (bar), Oscar Pettiford (vc, b), Betty Glamann (hrp), Dick Katz (p), Whitey Mitchell (b), Gus Johnson (d), Betty Glamann (hrp).

Originally issued on two LPs: The Oscar Pettiford Orchestra in Hi-Fi, Vols. 1 & 2 (ABC-135 & ABC-227). Cover of Volume Two:

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Joe F, Stu02 and 6 others like this.
  4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Herman Leonard (legendary photographer), circa 1948.

Did you know that (at least in the Google Chrome browser) you can right click with your mouse on any image and select "Search Google for Image". Sometimes you get similar "almost look alike" images, but often, you get it, bingo!

You probably have seen many Herman Leonard images. He definitely had a style and made a great contribution.

For some fun, search Herman Leonard and select images.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Essential for Lucky Thompson completists.

Herman Leonard on Lucky Thompson

[​IMG]

6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Notice the audience for Ella. You'll see Duke right away, then you will see Benny Goodman. Any others? Duke is having a Coca Cola. Who is the fellow at the head of the table?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  7. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Richard Rodgers

bluemooze, Mugrug12 and Tribute like this.
  8. Six String

Six String Senior Member

WP Paul Desmond - Take Ten (RCA) Japanese cd

NP Richie Beirach Elegy For Bill Evans (Storyville) cd
    1981 recording with George Mraz and Al Foster in a tribute to the pianist who had passed rhe year before. They do a lovely version of Peace Piece and finish the album with Nardis.

bluemooze and cedarbrew like this.
  9. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Hmmmm... might wait for the CD as the price for this seems high but if it sounds as great as the Wes Montgomery in Paris recordings I might have to grab this when it comes out on Record Store Day.

Grant Green - Funk In France: From Paris to Antibes 69-70.

Grant Green - Funk In France: From Paris to Antibes (1969-1970)

10. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Yes, a great photographer!

11. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Cecil Taylor Quintet / Septet – Mixed (Impulse!)
    — Cecil Taylor - piano; Jimmy Lyons - alto saxophone; Archie Shepp - tenor saxophone; Henry Grimes - bass; Sunny Murray - drums; plus Ted Curson - trumpet and Roswell Rudd - trombone; this CD includes the Cecil Taylor tracks from the Gil Evans supervised album Into The Hot (which is half of the LP tracks) plus the Roswell Rudd album Everywhere.

[​IMG]

Roswell RuddEverywhere [on the Cecil Taylor / Rudd CD Mixed] (Impulse!)
    — Roswell Rudd - trombone; Giuseppi Logan - flute, bass clarinet; Robin Kenyatta - alto saxophone; Lewis Worrell, Charlie Haden - bass; Beaver Harris - drums.

[​IMG]

rxcory, bluemooze, Joe F and 10 others like this.
  12. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Ralph Sutton Trio featuring Barbara Sutton Curtis – Home Again (Gaslight Records)
    — Ralph Sutton, Barbara Sutton Curtis (pianos), Keter Betts (bass), Frank Capp (drums); recorded live at the Bistro Europa, St Louis, MO; nice!

[​IMG]

Barbara Sutton Curtis was Ralph's sister.

bluemooze, Starwanderer and jay.dee like this.
  13. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Sonny CrissPortrait of Sonny Criss (Prestige Records / OJC)
    — With Walter Davis, Paul Chambers, Alan Dawson

[​IMG]

rxcory, markp, Joe F and 5 others like this.
  14. Six String

Six String Senior Member

WP Joey Calderozo - Secrets (Audioquest) cd

NP Johnny Coles - Little Johnny C (Blue Note) RVG cd

Secrets was arranged by Bob Belden and it has a feel like Herbie Hancock's Speaks Like A Child. It uses a small section of strings and woodwinds that gives it a stately feel.

15. Six String

Six String Senior Member

It has my attention as well.

16. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Little Johnny C! One of my favorite Duke Pearson albums (seems like it was really his date no?). The final song of the record is one of the best and most beautiful ballads in the BN catalog imo. "So sweet my little girl". Heartbreaking....

17. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

A hidden Duke Pearson album you say? I didn't know that. Hmm...moves up higher on my "to buy" list then.

18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Well he wrote all the songs so yeah, Johnny just played trumpet on it. ;)

NP Marty Ehlrich- The Welcome (Sound Aspects) 1989 cd
    Recorded in 1984, a trio with Anthony Cox and Pheeroan Aklaff on bass and drums respectively.

bluemooze and xybert like this.
  19. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Gary Burton Quintet – Dreams So Real — Music of Carla Bley (ECM Records)
    — With Mick Goodrick, Pat Metheny, Steve Swallow, Bob Moses

[​IMG]

20. Lonson

Nina Simone "Mood Indigo: The Complete Bethlehem Singles"

[​IMG]

21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I'll have to look into this one. Does it have any titles not on the common variants of her Bethlehem recordings, or does it have a sound upgrade?

Nina may be the premier example of a singer whose reputation and recognition skyrocketed since death. Though she made many records, and was "known", she was largely ignored during most of her lifetime (especially in the USA). Now, a very high percentage of singers name her as a primary inspiration. It's sad that she did not live to see that.

22. Lonson

It's very easy to answer the content question by looking at amazon etc. It has a few items that are not on the "Little Girl Blue" LP but I don't know enough of Nina's discography--I'm really not a big fan, the earliest material is my favorite--- to know if those are commonly available. The sound is really good, mono, in my opinion. The recent versions of the album from Verse and from Solid Records Japan also sound very good imo so if one has those one won't be reaping any real sonic benefit.

rxcory likes this.
  23. Lonson

So to add to the above: three titles that were released on singles are included that were not on the original "Little Girl Blue" album. The eleven tracks that were on the album are here, about half of them edited a bit for singles All tracks are original mono mixes.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    rxcory likes this.
  24. Lonson

Santana "Festival"
    [​IMG]

rxcory, bluemooze, markp and 3 others like this.
  25. Moebius

Moebius Forum Resident

Coltrane - Impressions (1976 Japan lp)
    [​IMG]