Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Harold MabernJoy Spring (Sackville Recordings) — solo piano

[​IMG]

2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Forgive me for adding to the photographic obsession with Lester Young's last home and the place where he died, the Alvin Hotel on Broadway in NYC, overlooking Birdland across the street.

As I said earlier, the original location of the once legendary record store, Colony Records, was on the ground floor, below the hotel room where Lester lived. Colony was where many jazz musicians shopped, because it was right at 52nd Street. By the 1960's, all the jazz clubs were gone, and I suppose the musicians found somewhere else to shop. Colony maintained a massive collection of rare and out-of-print records, especially jazz. But over time, their prices became absurdly high in the era when Japanese collectors became well known for buying up rare jazz LPs in the USA (definitely all through the 1970's). Colony knew foreign collectors would pay the prices for records unobtainable in their homeland, and largely ignored the American collectors.

I remember going in there in 1970 with an obsessed Bill Evans collector. At that time, many of Bill's Riverside recordings were extremely rare. There were no reissues for many of them. When we asked about certain titles (always in the back room), the clerk said he had them, but he refused to get them out for us to examine. My friend debated with him, but the clerk explained that he would not buy them, so he wasn't going to waste his time getting them out. At a likely price of $50 (1970 money!), he was probably right, but I'll never forget the debate my friend put up.

But it was the same guy who many many years later pulled a valuable framed photo of Bob Dylan off the wall and gave it to me for free.

Exterior vintage shots of Colony are rare (on-line at least). Here is one. From the "stereo your car" sign, I would say it must be in the later 60's. Note the sign says "4 Track" tapes, not 8 Track.

[​IMG]

In its very last days in a new location several blocks south (it closed due to extremely high rents on Broadway) Colony was a pale shadow of its former glory, selling mostly souvenirs, collectible ephemera, and an occasional CD to tourists on Broadway. It moved to a new location around 1970, so if you were there later, that is not Lester's building. Most photos are of the second location

Here is a vintage shot

[​IMG]

And another circa 1962

[​IMG]

This image may be from about the time that Lester lived there. You can see the side entrance to the Alvin Hotel on 52nd Street. I believe Lester's window was out of the picture to the right, looking across Broadway to Birdland. Colony was just to the right of the corner Food shop

[​IMG]
    This may be the actual view from Lester Young's window. He died looking at this view.

[​IMG]

IF YOU ENJOY LOOKING AT EXTERIOR PHOTOS OF RECORD STORES AROUND THE WORLD, TAKE A LOOK AT THIS THREAD

Cool Vintage Record Shop Signs - Photos

3. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

[​IMG]

@Six String, I was looking for that Nat/Sonny live album you've mentioned the other day and stumbled upon this one:

Nat Adderley, 1978,
    A Little New York Midtown Music

It starts with his usual sound of the 70s a light taste of funk and soul jazz. But then it goes into this modern hard bop that I know you'll like. It's from 78 but it sounds like a late 80s early 90s album to me.

Guess this one will be easier to find on CD than others from Nat. Will look for it.

4. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Meridian Trio (Nick Mazzarella, Matt Ulery, Jeremy Cunningham) - Triangulum

Revisiting this 2017 release; mighty fine.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  5. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I wondered about Jamal's early life, so I looked it up:

"Born Frederick Russell Jones, July 2, 1930, to Baptist parents in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Jamal discovered Islam in his early 20s. While touring in Detroit, where there was a sizable Muslim community in the 1940s and 1950s, he became interested in Islam and Islamic culture. He converted to Islam and changed his name to Ahmad Jamal in 1950. In an interview with The New York Times a few years later, he said his decision to change his name stemmed from a desire to "re-establish my original name."

1980, age 50

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Doggiedogma and Jim Walker like this.
  7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

And these were also within Lester's view, on 52nd Street. That is where my aunt saw Bird. Look at who was with Bird that night!

[​IMG]

I am afraid this is the building that stands where Lester once lived in the Alvin Hotel. A sterile space with absolutely no friendliness to people on the street, no character. I think NYC has committed suicide with this architecture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Henry Please

Henry Please Forum Resident

Jeff Parker - The New Breed.

[​IMG]

9. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Miles In Berlin (Sony/Legacy) cd from 2005
    I had never heard this performance until this s cd was released. I see that Speakers Corner has a vinyl version out. Does anyone here have it that can comment on the pressing? I'm not sure I "need" it on vinyl.

10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I've never thought of Nina as a singles artist so I'm a little surprised someone has released this. Shows you what I know. I also don't know what is in print these days but I'm pretty happy with the collection of lps I have for now. On the other hand, when I check her bins in local shops it seems all they ever have are compilations of her music and I'm amazed at how many of those are available. Sometimes it seems there are as many comps as there are complete albums. :crazy:

11. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Art Ensemble of Chicago Third Decade is wonderful. Just picked up and listened to a SHM cd Japanese import.

lschwart and Noisefreq1 like this.
  12. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I think the Bethlehem and perhaps the Colpix singles were jukebox targeted. I was too young to know if these were in local Philly jukeboxes of the time (I was in a predominantly black neighborhood, but not even a tween!) but I don't remember any of these on the radio. . . .

Anyway I really like the Bethlehem material, and some of the Colpix so I ordered the Colpix singles collection as well. Those two and the stereo version of "Little Girl Blue" are probably going to be my most played Nina items in the future. Her RCA and beyond just really don't do as much for me.

Six String likes this.
  13. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I've never quite been able to get into Simone. Often I will be pleased & then displeased at different points in the same song. Happens over & over. Maybe she's not for me.

14. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip Rob. It took a while but I finally scored a used copy cheap. Love this quintessential 70s vibe.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Nina Simone's version of Don't Explain (from a bootleg) is among the greatest versions of that song ever.

16. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Classic records release (Bernie Grundman)
    I love this record. Great mix of ballads and swinging bop
    Kenny Drew piano chords and Kessels flowing runs are a really great smooth foil for Sonny’s clean biting alto

rxcory, bluemooze, Joe F and 2 others like this.
  17. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

All of these recent posts of Lester Young made me want to throw on some Pres.

NP: Lester Young - The Alladin Sessions

[​IMG]

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Earlier edition on the short-lived Aladdin LP label, later pressed in France with the same cover

[​IMG]

the 10 inch LP:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

an EP

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Joe F, Doggiedogma and 2 others like this.
  19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I like quite a few beyond Bethlehem and Colpix and I'm not real crazy about her Sings Duke Ellington album on Colpix but I'd have to play it again to remember why.

NP Sonny Clark - Leapin' And Lopin' (Blue Note) Music Matters 45 RPM Pressing
    I owned the cds before but hearing his music on these MM reissues made me appreciate him even more.

rxcory, bluemooze and Morbius like this.
  21. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Indeed! I bought all three of the CR reissues before they went out of business. Those Imperial albums are my favorites along with Sonny's Dream. He plays with such amazing energy.

Stu02 likes this.
  22. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Thanks. I've seen that one before on lp but that's been a decade if not more. The Theresa label that the other one is on is a small label out of the SF Bay Area so it might be harder to locate. I'm not sure about cd releases though I have seen other titles on cd from the label so it is possible I guess. The pianist John Hicks recorded for the label too and they are also good imo.

23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Sorry for this additional obsession with Birdland

This is the same spot today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A painting based on the image, but the artist removed the most interesting focal point. He probably thought buyers of his print would avoid it with a jazzman in the picture
    [​IMG]

The original building still stood recently, but maybe not for long. The joint is still a bar/eatery (with the added feature that the staff removes their clothing, especially when it is hot)

[​IMG]

It recently become a strip club...that is Birdland

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

But today, the infamous sidewalk sheds are in place, an omen for a short future for one of the meccas of bebop. A new sterile glass tower rose next door, an indicator that this will be the next phase for Birdland. But the strippers still have work. That white building to the right replaced the cluster of the greatest jazz clubs of NYC and the world. When you walk down 52nd Street today, you will not be bumping into anyone on the sidewalk.

Real estate barons killed the life of this city. Now, most of the shops are the same that you find in any suburban mall.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Doggiedogma and jay.dee like this.
  25. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

At least we still have the vanguard

:cool: