Would you consider selling off some of your prized vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Vinyl, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Vinyl

Johnny Vinyl Vinylholic Thread Starter

I would only sell them individually and yes, it can take a long time.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  2. mrwolk

mrwolk One and a half ears...no waiting!

Already have...my ears ain’t what they use to be....made a fair profit on my collection.
    No regrets....I have most of it on cd and audio files....sold the cow...but i’m still getting my glass of milk.

Crimson Witch and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  3. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

depends

4. Johnny Vinyl

Don't think I ever mentioned a car payment or a weekly grocery bill as a price I'd set for any album, although I may have a few. I am talking about albums worth more than $20 though.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  5. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

I doubt The Beatles ever go full Elvis. Elvis never really gained new generations of listeners like the Beatles did. The Beatles and Led Zeppelin's collectibility will never be in doubt. This would make an interesting thread. What extremely popular classic rock band's collectibility will not last another 20 years? My vote would go to Pink Floyd.

Morton LaBongo and Crimson Witch like this.
  6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

i sold about a thousand vinyl records about twenty years ago (my collection at the time, not including the cd's). it seems like a terrible thing, but i bought three guitars for doing some studio recording. there was a lot of great stuff in there. half speed master bridge over troubled water, original three disc woodstock and tons more ... to the point where a second hand vinyl record store guy asked me why i hadn't seen him because blah blah blah .... every album in like new condition because i was insanely careful with my records and never touched the faces.
    did i do the wrong thing? no. better to step out and fail than spend your life wondering. i now have a couple of hundred vinyl discs, certainly a lot less collectable. about three hundred 5.1 discs of various formats and thousands of cd's. i still have one of the guitars. moving countries seven years ago required some trimming down on stuff.
    i love my music in every way, but i will never let the things i own, own me.

7. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

What are you looking for?

8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

elvis did get a lot of folks collecting later. the beatles and zepplin may well start losing popularity, as well may floyd, but that will probably be from poor business decisions regarding too many special sets at big bucks and not enough substance or love, for the products being shifted, by the companies involved.

9. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Sold off over 2000 LP's in the eighties and nineties when I made the switch to digital. Never looked back.

Kingsley Fats, Johnny Vinyl and rod like this.
  10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Umm... no. Probably not.

11. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

You know, as I saw your Déjà Vu collection in the other thread, Johnny, I thought of some of my repeats, too. Over the years, I’ve just given mine away...to my students mostly...and it’s given me great satisfaction.

But I get what you’re saying about selling them...and that’s what I would do, now. I’m only listening to my best version these days.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  12. Johnny Vinyl

Nothing specific at the moment, although I'm keeping my eye on future releases of the MoFi One Steps.

13. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Just keep the stuff that is really meaningful to you or the stuff you actually play.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  14. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I sold mine in two lots of 75 LPs... single LPs, double LPs, box sets. All absolutely mint, I go an average of $11 each for them. I am purely a vinyl man and initially found it hard to part with them.

One thing I want to say is that I wish people would get away from the notion that they are sitting on a goldmine or a pension.

Discogs has ruined it for a lot of.people. I always say...

The person who is going to pay a lot for an LP is as rare as the record itself.

I have asked dealers what they would offer for a collection, telling them what i had and generally they say $3 to $5.

I know a couple of record stores who are struggling to get good secondhand stock. They know what i have and would kill to get their hands on it.

Will they pay me Discogs prices, like hell they will.

This is not my opinion, it is my experience.

JG

15. Johnny Vinyl

Excellent post James! I fully concur!

16. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

I'm doing it this very moment in the classifieds! I've decided there's not much gain for me to have more than one copy of the nice ones. For me it's as much about freeing up some physical space and getting back some cash for other records. To be honest I would rather just trade my extras but that seems less simple though I've tried.

If you have more than one copy of something, do you really think you'll miss the doubles that leave while listening to your favorite copy that you kept?

Dave S and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  17. Johnny Vinyl

I've come to the conclusion that I won't, hence this thread.

SandAndGlass and James Glennon like this.
  18. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Yes, I would have thought space was a bigger issue.

19. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Umm...no,but if it was a last ditch thing where I had to have the money as in life or death....!

20. James Glennon

Just want to mention that before I sold off the LPs I checked them all on Discogs. The prices ranged from $25-$90. I wanted more space so I went ahead and sold them. Do I regret it? Not for one minute, life is too important to get hung on it.

JG

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  21. joshm2286

joshm2286 Forum Resident

I'll sell some of my doubles to free up cash for records on my wish list. After cataloging my music i have more doubles and triples of albums than I knew or thought.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  22. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I already have. I sold it all!!!

joshm2286 likes this.
  23. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

OTOH, letting the retail market decide on what you parted with for $3 is a measure towards making sure your stuff will find "a good home".

If I had to let that much of me go (and I inevitably will, probably at a price I don't want to think about), my inner voice says to the retailer, "Charge as much as you can. Godspeed."

24. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

I had three spells when I sold a lot of my LP collection:

1) mid 90s - I sold about 500 LPs I thought I would only need on CD - turns out I was wrong
    2) around 2012 - I sold about 800 LPs I though I wouldnt ever want to listen to again - turns out I was wrong in some cases
    3) 2016 - moved into a new house and sold around 500 LPs due to space considerations (they were mostly duplicates or VG LPs, I only have new or mint titles in my collection now) - have probably added around 300 new titles since then as I am working on a one in one out basis, I figure I have space for another 200 odd LPs

I have decided that a well curated collection of around 3000 pieces will do me.

4) since 2000 I have sold / given away approximately 95% of my CDs - haven't missed them

25. James Glennon

I would say it was easier in the 80s, vinyl has taken on a whole new life and the attitude towards it. Vinyl is now 'perceived' as being valuable.

JG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.