Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Deerhunter - Microcastle/Weird Era Continued
    [​IMG]

2. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Same thing as being down to the roach. Not much left in the tank. Is there gas in the car? Maybe there's gas in the car. At least that's my guess - never heard the term applied specifically to an LP before, but in the parlance of the times among a certain group of friends, "roached" was a general term for things that had gone in a southward direction.

wavethatflag, bzfgt and budwhite like this.
  3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Did they use the original version of Into the Mystic with the tambourine? I would expect they would... I had only heard the alternate take that was incorrectly included on most reissues including the original CD release until the recent CD re-release with the 3 extra discs. Pretty different takes, I like them both but am still more used to the incorrect take...

wavethatflag likes this.
  4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

The Doors - Singles collection.

Man, I used to adore The Doors when I was in school at the age of 14-17. I still like them but I don't listen much and I wasn't really into their live stuff.

5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Overall I prefer studio Doors, but they were still a great live band. I haven't kept up with most of the last decade or so of live releases but the very recent Isle of Wight Blu-Ray DVD/CD is very cool just to see a full performance (Morrison on the mellow side but not wasted and the rest of the band in fine form) and the Aquarius Theater vinyl release from RSD a couple years ago is a fantastic performance and sounds amazing.

6. budwhite

I was planning to get the Isle of Wight blu-ray but then I read about the modern guitar overdubs and drum sampling. I'm mostly fine with overdubs if it's done within the same time frame, but when it's done 47 years later I find it hard to except.

I did stream the show though, but I was at work and couldn't really focus on the music much

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  7. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I bought the Isle of Wight release and didn't even give it a try yet. Some production decisions made in the making of it are a bit irritating.
    Incidentally, a great Doors live album is Pittsburgh, 1970. Morrison is sober and focused, and the band sounds great, one of the best archival release in the band's catalogue. The Felt Forum box set is pretty great too.

8. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    The beginning of what I consider Santana's peak years: 1972-1974. A brilliant album by all means.

9. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I bought the IOW release too. I’ve been following the discussion of the issues with it in the IOW thread (until it was shut down) and the more recent live Doors thread, and I agree with the criticisms. But my Amazon preorder price was only $18 and I was curious so I didn’t cancel my order. I watched it last weekend and enjoyed it. The CD may not get much play because of the modern overdubs, etc. but it's nice to have the video.

I bought Pittsburgh last year after reading you and others recommend it in a different Doors thread. That was a good pickup.

10. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    More peak-era Santana.

11. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Still a much more enjoyable listen than Waters latest in my opinion.

12. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Eh, just buy it and enjoy it. In the end it's all just puppets and stew meat, anyway. I can't conceive of all the trickery that went into the Led Zeppelin DVD, but it's great.

Erik B., adamos, Crispy Rob and 2 others like this.
  13. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Bob Dylan, John Wesley Harding
    2016 Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab
    Ultradisc SACD hybrid

upc : 821797218368
    Limited edition of 3000 copies

Erik B., Rne, notesofachord and 3 others like this.
  14. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I didn't know about the overdubs. That's a bummer, but at least wasn't really noticeable.

adamos and Crimson Witch like this.
  15. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Gene Clark Two Sides to Every Story

16. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Big fan of X, they were a one and only that really worked for me. I also like the Blasters and Los Lobos... all talented west coast bands that were part of a great early 80's renaissance of sorts (Paisley Underground included). All three of the above named seemed to rotate Steve Berlin, the sax player, and Billy Zoom seemed to switch around too; so did Dave Alvin. Wild Gift is nothing short of a masterpiece, Big Black Sun had some Doors influence with Ray Manzerak producing. I got to see their Unclogged Tour when they appeared here unbelievably, all those years ago. I love the Live at the Whiskey A Go Go... power not to be believed. eXene, John Doe, Bonebrake and Billy ZOOM, hats off to them all.

17. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

A like a handful of Fleetwood Macs, but this is the one that takes a ride in
    the transport the most.

[​IMG]

18. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

[​IMG]
    Yeah, they're a great, great band. I'm also a Blasters fan. I listened to More Fun In The New World last night also. I've seen X three times dating from the early 00s. Ray had great taste!

I just listened to Van Halen's first album, and now I'm trying to bring it down a bit with Thelonious.

19. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Topping off the evening with a pair of Miles...

[​IMG][​IMG]

Erik B., Crimson Witch, Rne and 5 others like this.
  20. cedarbrew

cedarbrew Forum Resident

[​IMG]

In the earphones the past hour, Michel Petrucciani Trio - Pianism

I saw Michel live at the old Yoshi's in Oakland in the 1990s. He appeared with the great bassist Dave Holland and a drummer whom I can't recall.

He had a medical condition similar to dwarfism, and was very small. It was astounding how he could play jazz piano like a master with such short arms and hands.

After playing awhile, I think just before intermission, Holland lifted him into his arms and held him aloft to wave to and recognize the audience applause, before carrying him off to the intermission break room.

His condition caused other medical problems, and he sadly died in his 30s. Quite a talent.

21. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

just looking at vinyl online with this on the headphones
    [​IMG]

Crispy Rob and wavethatflag like this.
  22. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Spun records tonight:

Ty Segall - Twins
    Mac Demarco - This Old Dog
    Fleet Foxes - Crack-Up
    Sturgill Simpson - Metamodern Sounds in Country Music

23. budwhite

[​IMG]

Going through the catalog for Satuday night show in Göteborg

24. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Awesome album.

25. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I haven't bought this one yet, and it's five years old.

Erik B. likes this.