Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Got this SACD the other night. It's only stereo and has some detractors but I think it's great. Only heard the CD layer so far but through my Fisher receiver it's pretty stellar, especially on this snowy night.

[​IMG]

royzak2000, EVOLVIST, Wes H and 6 others like this.
  2. Byrdsmaniac

Byrdsmaniac Forum Resident

I consider shoveling snow to be relaxing light exercise. Using a snow blower would turn it into a noisy, stinking, annoying chore. Maybe when I’m old and feeble, I might resort to using one, but I doubt it. My mom shoveled snow into her late eighties.

Mowgli, Wes H and Eigenvector like this.
  3. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

No snow-blowers down here & not much shoveling.

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

cheers mate

5. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

On the TT....:tiphat:

[​IMG]

6. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    1989 CD reissue of recordings made in the Basilica di San Marco, Venice, 9/67 & issued on LPs in 1968. Producer: John McClure. Engineers: Ed Michalski & Hellmuth Kolbe. Remastered by McClure & engineer Larry Keyes.

bigstar87 and Wes H like this.
  7. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Overall, this is my favorite "Hammerklavier" Sonata from both an audio and performance standpoint.

[​IMG]

8. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I really like that as well. Talk about bringing out the titanic rage in the fugue.

SteelyTom and Bachtoven like this.
  9. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Unless I'm mistaken, the only US CD release of this recording was in this set. They've been issued as a cycle in Japan though.
    [​IMG]

Eigenvector likes this.
  10. Moth

Moth fluttering by

Recently, I've been listening to this experimental classical tape, 12 Elegies for Pierre Boulez/Ústí OST. The first half is made up of short, spooky pieces meant to resemble listening to Boulez's music from the inside out, disregarding structure and focusing on sound. The second half (a soundtrack) is similar to the first, but it's more pleasant and in long form. I really enjoy it, and the digital version is free!
    [​IMG]

scompton likes this.
  11. WriteFace

WriteFace Well-Known Member

Listening to this on KDFC
    Monteverdi: Vespro Della Beata Vergine / Suzuki, Et Al
    - Haunting

[​IMG]

Wes H and royzak2000 like this.
  12. Thomas R

Thomas R Forum Resident

Ha ha, he was a perfect gentleman when he digged into my bearded face :)

EVOLVIST likes this.
  13. Now for a few late night Fux.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A great teacher and composer.

14. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Decca Universal Japan UCCD-51093 SHM-CD) 2017 .... recorded January 1993 .... whichever material he tackles Radu Lupu simply can`t disappoint ....

bigstar87, crispi, Wugged and 3 others like this.
  15. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Another present of the Great Dane
    [​IMG]
    Nielsen: Concertos Decapo sacd.
    Lovey live performances from Lincoln Centre, N.Y.C

16. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the Argo Years box.

[​IMG]

Mowgli and Eigenvector like this.
  17. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

One of the few advantages of reel-to-reel tape...
    Beethoven's 9th Symphony won't fit on a single-LP unless the 3rd movement is split between sides. In the case of this LP, the engineers not only split the 3rd movement, but also omitted many repeats from the 2nd movement.

With this tape release (which I bought new in 1971), Columbia included the full Scherzo movement (which runs 3:20 longer) and placed the side change just after the 3rd movement. They also included Beethoven's 8th symphony.

[​IMG]

But maybe after shoveling all that snow, one compact LP of Beethoven was enough! :)

crispi, bigstar87 and Eigenvector like this.
  18. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Very true! The LP is indeed edited and the third movement is split. I'm less bothered by these split movements than some are.

I won't, however, be getting back into RtR tape again! I sold my last RtR deck (an Akai) back in the early 90's as I wasn't using it very much anymore. Now reel to reel tape is just too expensive to even consider. LPs are killing me financially as it is!

But I admit to getting a bit jealous every time you post a photo of a tape you are playing! :winkgrin:

19. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Stop encouraging me to engage in fiscal irresponsibility!..... Actually, I like his Wagner record, too--enough to pull it out now and post it here....

I'm curious why he's such an infrequent visitor to the recording studio (the same goes for his sister). Ars Produktion should be recording him at least as frequently as they record Vincent Larderet.

[​IMG]

20. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

I saw Lupu perform the Mussorsky Pictures at Symphony Hall here-- and even up on the second balcony center (best seats in the house, acoustically), I'd never heard a pianist produce such an enormous sound in concert-- I mean, Loud. I'd always thought of him as the most introverted of pianists.

crispi likes this.
  21. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Now that's what I'm talking about - I wonder how many people in the UK have shovelled snow for 4 hours!
    You should be fit as a fiddle by now ... :laugh:

22. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I don't blame you for not getting back into RtR. The cost of the tapes these days is nearly prohibitive and maintaining the machines can be frustrating if you don't know how to do it yourself. But for me it's fun-- a labor of love, like any hobby. And there's a certain nostalgia about it, just like records, when you've grown up with these things. ;)

23. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

The snowblowing took me no more than half-hour as it was a slushy mix of snow, ice and water. My wife had to file a claim for damage from the nor'easter as part of the aluminum siding and the rooftop antenna were ripped from the house. There goes my last chance of listening to classical FM station from NYC. :( Wonder how many of you still listen to AM/FM broadcast? While I am not a big fan of rooftop antenna, it appears there is nothing else out there that is better and more cost effective ...

24. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

One of my favourite vinyl labels, Fone, also produces new R2R recordings which I'm sure will be of sublime quality if anything like the vinyl - prices around £400 though ...

Analog Master Tapes - Fonè Records Shop

Wes H likes this.
  25. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

RTR is generally still much more durable than a cassette deck. With proper use, it would last a bit longer before service is required ...