Which 2mm Spacer for Rega RP1?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stereoguy, Jan 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo! Thread Starter

Guys,

Does anyone know exactly which 2mm Spacer is the right one for the Rega RP1?

I'm going for a spacer, Subplatter and white belt for mine.

Many thanks!
    The Stereoguy

2. tiller

tiller Forum Resident

The spacer is not essential unless you plan to run a taller, non-Rega cartridge. And in that case the height of the spacer will depend on which cartridge you want to run.

When I put a DV20x on my old P3-24, I opted for Michael Lim's 4mm spacer. It worked well.

3. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

You can just use washers for the spacers. Personally I think it a waste to modify. You should do better selling the RP1 and then taking that money and buying a new Planar 2. The better tonearm, motor, and platter make it a killer value and way better than just more money spent on an RP1. The heavy glass platter makes way more of an upgrade than one to the subplatter, and the belt is also a very subtle upgrade. The tonearm upgrade via a new Planar 2 however, is huge, and you also get the 24v motor and glass platter with the Planar 2, then you have a nice upgrade.
    -Bill

4. stereoguy

Bill, thank you for that post, that is great advice.
    Much appreciated.

5. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Bill makes a great point.

It depends how long you will keep the RP1 too. I heavily upgraded mine which was extremely enjoyable for a couple years. Subplatter and cartridge made the most impact.

After I got my RP6 I could really hear the limitations of the RP1 table, arm, and motor and at that point decided to replace it (with another RP6). But I got plenty of bliss out of the RP1 for sure. No regrets, it is a nice little table.

6. stereoguy

Thank you both. I appreciate the advice very much.

Anybody looking for a nice entry level table with a nice Shure cart?

7. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Keep the cart. :shh:
    -Bill

Waffle likes this.
  8. stereoguy

Bill, just as a follow up, I took your advice and ordered a nice Gloss Black Rega Planar 2 with the new RB 220 Tonearm. It looks great in the pictures, I'm looking forward to getting it.

And yes, I will be installing my 1960 GE VR-1000 cartridge in it for a real 1960s Blast! The VR-1000 sounded aces in my RP1, so it should sound even better with this one.

Thanks for your good advice.
    Retro

9. stereoguy

Bill.....I guess I need a 2mm or 4mm spacer to run the VR 1000? Its a tall cart.

10. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

Personally I think it a waste to modify. You should do better selling the Planar 2 and then taking that money and buying a new Planar 3. The better tonearm, motor, and platter make it a killer value and way better than just more money spent on an Planar 2

Sorry :D

punkmusick likes this.
  11. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

I used these on 2016 Planar 1, specifically the 1.5mm for a Nag MP-110.

12. stereoguy

rtrt: I'm sorry, but I dont understand your post. I'm not modifying the RP1, I bought a brand new 2018 Planar 2 (Gloss black). I need the spacer to run the GE VR-1000 cartridge.

13. stereoguy

Thank you. I'm thinking I need the 4mm spacer...as the Vr-1000 is a "tall" cart.

14. stereoguy

I didnt have time to post the whole story today: What really pushed me to go ahead buy the Planar 2 today was the events of the past week:

A few days ago, I thought I would see how good my old DUAL 510 would sound with the VR-1000 installed. I havent used the DUAL 510 in a few years, it basically got retired when I bought the RP1.
    So I rigged it all up, put on an album, and......Zilch.....one channel not playing. I futzed around with it a little and then I remembered, thats the problem it had when I retired it. So thinking it HAD to be the old 70s DUAL sled, I ordered a new unit from one of the on line places. Rigged it up and...same problem! I noticed that if I bent the sled a certain way I'd get a little volume in the missing channel, but it just wasnt making it. I said, enough nonsense and ordered the Rega. I'm happy I did that, because having used both Duals and Regas side by side, none of the Duals I had (510 and 1210) even came CLOSE to the sonic output of the Regas.

15. stereoguy

UPDATE:

The Rega Gloss Black Planar 2 has arrived!! The TT came today, I spent an hour setting it up, and connecting it.
    One thing: The instructions say to move the counterweight so that the arm is floating 1 mm above a record on the platter.
    I simply could not get this float without pulling to the right. So, I got as close as I could, then set the tracking weight to 2.00 per the manual. The digital gauge really came in handy.

First off...the Gloss Piano Black looks HOT. Great color. Looks like a 1982 Trans-Am.

OK!! So, onto the table went the first LP, the Horzu version of The Beatles "Please Please Me". I chose this LP because I know every nuance and every facet of the production.

Right off the bat, I could hear the quality difference from my old RP1. The sound is simply meatier, fuller, with more weight, and has a nice forward presentation. I am sure the glass platter has something to do with that, plus of course, the newly designed RB220 tonearm. There was an amazing clarity in the instruments as well.

I know that the Rega Carbon cart (which comes with this table) is certainly a budget cart, but it really does a nice job.
    There was plenty of air around the Beatles, and I could plainly hear Georges lead guitar noodling.
    At some point, I plan to replace the carbon with the 1960 GE VR-1000. But it sounds pretty darn good as is!!

I need to listen more this week, but at this point I'd have to say the new Planar 2 is one of the biggest bargains in Audio. To think you can get this kind of performance in a turntable for under $700 is pretty amazing.

SpeedMorris and Art K like this.
  16. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Dont listen to the P3 and you will remain blissful, especially the white ones, they sound better. :D

17. stereoguy

Oh, I'm blissful with my new Planar 2...

PhxJohn, jphabc54 and Art K like this.
  18. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Did your Planar 2 come with dust cover? Says optional on most descriptions.

19. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Congrats!

20. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

All Rega turntables come with a dustcover as standard, and included in the price of the table. It's several of the other brands that you have read those to be optional.
    -Bill

PhxJohn likes this.
  21. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

from Rega UK
    Other features :

• Re-designed feet - New improved foot assembly to increase stability and reduce vibration transfer.
    • Carbon cartridge - supplied as standard on all Planar 2’s for simple plug and play convenience.
    • Motor cover tray - with integrated cooling.
    • Optional lid / plinth protectors - supplied to prevent marks on the plinth and keep it looking its best.
    • Instructions - Easy to use multi-lingual quick start guide for easy set up.
    • Packaging - New improved packaging.
    optional and supplied in same sentence.....

22. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

What that is trying to say is that they include some little. clear, self-adhesive rubber dots as lid / plinth protectors, and they are installed or not installed at the end user's option. Nothing is "optional", as it's all included. I suppose they could have worded it more clearly...
    -Bill

PhxJohn and struttincool like this.
  23. stereoguy

Hi Strut:

Yes, it came with the typical Rega plastic Dust Cover. Nothing to write home about, but thats ok....its one of the things that keeps the price low.

24. stereoguy

Yes, those little plinth protectors are two TINY L shaped pieces of plastic. I installed them, but they are so small I dont think they are doing much. I'm going to replace them with the small rubber dots you see in stationary stores. Those work really well, they absorb any shock if the dust cover comes crashing down on the plinth for some reason.

25. stereoguy

Thank you Cheerleader....the table really sounds great and I havent even put my "Go To" cart in it yet. I'm Really pleased with the product , especially at this price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.