Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That is great.

You should have met Max Gordon (the owner of the Vanguard). His very presence, his conversation was pure jazz

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It was on this spot out in front of Birdland, in 1959, that Miles Davis was beaten up by police for being who he was

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Doggiedogma like this.
  3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

But at the grand opening in 1949, an all star line-up played at Birdland. Lester Young AND Charlie Parker. Notice Harry Belafonte's name there, years before he became a big star, singing with Bird! Hot Lips Page and Getz and Tristano, Warne Marsh too. 8 hours of music until 4AM. All for 98 cents. Parker probably got the sweet spot at midnight.

But Lester opened Birdland, which was probably on his mind as he spent that evening looking out at the door to the jazz mecca.

By the way, they had cages of birds all over the club when it opened, but they could not survive all of the smoke

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

A very unusual 1949 image of Lena Horne by Herman Leonard. What a powerful woman. She might have enjoyed today's movement.

[​IMG]

5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It's late, just time for that last 3AM set at Birdland on opening night in 1949. Charlie Parker and Lester Young are blowing together. Simply unbelievable.

It is time for me to start up the imagination machine and enjoy their music together

[​IMG]

Blue Note, bluemooze, peter1 and 2 others like this.
  6. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Looks like lennie tristano on piano no?

7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

yes

Mugrug12 likes this.
  8. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Cannonball revisits several of his career favorite tunes, just a few months before he passed away.
    [​IMG]
    I'll revisit this one today:
    Cannonball Adderley - Phenix, 1975

9. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

NP: The World of Cecil Taylor - Candid/Tokuma 32JDC-103

[​IMG]

It was recorded at the Tommy Nola’s penthouse studio onto 2 track recorders.
    IMO this 1987 CD is the best digital mastering that sounds powerful, clean and well articulated.

bluemooze, xybert, Joe F and 6 others like this.
  10. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

A thank-y0u to the late Nat Hentoff...

yasujiro likes this.
  11. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

12. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

[​IMG]
    Tenor Saxophone, Soprano Saxophone – John Coltrane
    Bass – Art Davis (tracks: 1 to 4), Reggie Workman
    Drums – Elvin Jones
    Piano – McCoy Tyner
    Alto Saxophone, Flute – Eric Dolphy (tracks: 5 to 8)

John Coltrane - wow! In 1961, was there anyone else that was stretching songs to 20+ minutes and having extended solos as long as Coltrane? I believe that Coltrane might have been the man who began the "jam" band form. Hearing his improvised solo's (and Dolphy as well to a lesser extent) are just so far ahead of what was happening in not just jazz, but music in general. I know that Hindu music can have long sitar passages, but in America was there anyone else at this time period that was improvising and extending solos and stretching songs like Coltrane?
    I just can't get enough of Coltrane from late 1960 - 1963.

rxcory, bluemooze, xybert and 8 others like this.
  13. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Mingus' bands with Dolphy were doing it, albeit a bit different, but they were definitely stretching things out. I think it was pointed out earlier in this thread how Dolphy was a common participant in all of the new movements in jazz during this time frame.

rxcory, Gabe Walters, Stu02 and 2 others like this.
  14. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

15. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Hampton Hawes - The Seance (Contemporary) gold/green stereo label
    Red Mitchell and Donald Bailey complete the trio recorded in a club in L.A. 1966.

rxcory, bluemooze, vanhooserd and 2 others like this.
  16. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Never seen or heard this before but I'll have to remedy that. The cover art is outstanding. Does anyone know the artist? Was it Phil Carroll who created it or was he serving more as art director for this, using someone else's art?

17. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Serge ChaloffBoston 1950 (Uptown Records)
    — With Nat Pierce, George Jones, Joe MacDonald, Sonny Truitt, Joe Shulman, Rollins Griffith, Al Vega, Jack Lawlor, Sonny Tacloff, Milt Gold; Hi-Hat, Boston; Celebrity Club, Providence, RI.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, xybert, Joe F and 4 others like this.
  18. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

This photo gives me a headache. I know it's using any available space possible for advertising and adults can make any choice they want but seriously how am I supposed go to Yoga, drink a beer, drink less beer and drink kombucha instead while finding my soul mate while sucking on a e-cig in a strip club. ahhhh America.

bluejimbop, NorthNY Mark and Mook like this.
  19. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Keith Jarrett "After the Fall" Disc 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze, xybert, cedarbrew and 4 others like this.
  20. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

How is it?

21. Lonson

I think it's great. But I'm a big fan of this trio.

22. Lonson

Paul Motian "Conception Vessel" ECM

[​IMG]

23. Lonson

Bob Dylan "Blood on the Tracks" Sony Blu-Spec CD2

[​IMG]

Such a powerful album. This version sounds very warm and analog-like.

24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

This event in front of Birdland where Miles was severely beaten by the police, essentially for being a smart black man with a white woman, occurred on August 25, 1959. Miles was punched in the stomach and then hit with a stick on his skull from behind by another officer. Miles was charged with Felony assault, then sent to a hospital for many stitches in his scalp. Miles was starting a suit in court, but gave up and accepted a plea bargain when he realized the police could withdraw his Cabaret Card (a license to perform in New York), even if he won, and he would not be able to work again.

Miles was not the only jazz legend to suffer such abuse. It is just that there are not photos of the other artists who were victims.

Notice the handcuffs.

Oh yes, Miles was at Birdland to record a special session for the Armed Forces Radio Service at the end of his week long gig to celebrate the release of Kind of Blue one week earlier.

The blood stained shirt and suit jacket should be on display in the Smithsonian.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That gives you a different sense of the mood when this masterpiece was released. The brand new release was almost certainly on display in the window at Colony Records, the jazz store at the time, right across the street from the beating.

[​IMG]