Would you consider selling off some of your prized vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Vinyl, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Then again, I got 1,495€ for three Irish U2 45s.

And last week, 43GBP for one Irish 12 ".

So, you know, keeps me in 2* Michelins.

2. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

There are pop-up record fairs here in Ireland. You can take a table to sell your stock, usually held on Saturdays 10.30am-5pm. Believe it or not hey are held in pubs, where people are coming and going all the time. Not sure how much it is to 'take' a table, but it is a nominal amount.

This might be the best way to sell a lot of records in a short space of time. You can ask your own prices for them and you will soon find out what the market is really like out there.

I am contemplating trying this out at some stage.
    JG

Defdum&blind and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  3. Johnny Vinyl

Johnny Vinyl Vinylholic Thread Starter

You can do that here as well, but I never looked into it. Also, at this point I have no desire to sell in bulk.

4. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

i sell records all the time, always have. my tastes change. ive sold off rare folk albums to buy more of what I'm into at the moment. my collection is always moving and paying for more stuff

5. James Glennon

Are you selling privately? that is the only I can see you getting those prices.

I am a vinyl... nerd, fanatic, lover, obsessive, compulsive... but I have never or will ever pay big money for something I want. I don't need vinyl THAT much.

That type of collecting doesn't interest at all thank God.

Each to his own I suppose.

JG

Tommyboy likes this.
  6. James Glennon

I hear you and strangely I have no desire to sell individually!

JG

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  7. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I got rid of 800+ albums before retiring and relocating. I did the same about ten years earlier to make room for my ever-expanding CD collection. I knew the limits of my storage space before relocating and I didn't see the point in having 1000+ albums in the basement storage room.

I was somewhat brutal about it; if I had the album on CD, the LP was on the block. I listen to CD's almost exclusively. I ended up giving the vinyl to a friend who survives doing eBay auctions.

If I could go back, I might approach the culling differently. My vinyl collection is now an odd mix of things that I have a sentimental attachment to, and things that I have only on LP [sometimes rare, usually stuff that I didn't like well enough to re-buy]. These days, my vinyl collection is not representative of my tastes; I have three times as many CD's as LP's.

It's fun to have rare stuff, but after a while, I think it makes sense to pass it along and make another collector happy. If you can get some decent money for it, all the better.

davers, forthlin and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  8. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Space? That`s my problem. No more room at the Inn for CD`s or LP`s. I too sold approx. 1,000 LP`s in the late 80`s, hang on sold? I bloody gave 95% away regardless of value! The great CD con was responsible for that. So here I am again, only this time the problem is acute. I have to make room for the hundreds of LP`s and CD`s that I`ve bought in the last 2-3 years. I`ve made my decision and have started with the CDs but I doubt that I`ll be able to create enough space. I don`t have that many doubles and those I have are precious to me and they are staying. My rule is will I play this again? If the answer is no then that LP/CD/DVD goes.

I understand your pain @Johnny Vinyl, see my comments above. :rolleyes:

That`s the problem with collecting @gdo, I`m into too many artists/bands, so have never bothered to have to get the original mono of `Rubber Soul` for example. This time for me Im going to have to make hard choices and be sure I regret don`t them. :biglaugh:

mmmm! Suspicious @florandia, very suspicious! :shake:

Nah, The Beatles catalogue is safe. :edthumbs:

I don`t know about Pink Floyd @ndoheny, I reckon they`re a safe bet. How about The Eagles, Boston, Chicago, Radiohead, Black Sabbath. Please don`t think I`ve those bands because I don`t like them, that would be wrong. :hide:

gd0 likes this.
  9. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

For space's sake, yes. Also the fact that I mostly listen to rips of the vinyl rather than the actual vinyl istelf (pretty damn good rips, in other words) means that I still 'have' the vinyl I've off-loaded.

10. culabula

culabula Unread author.

The U2 singles were all sold on eBay, within 15 minutes of each other.

I HATE selling vinyl. I’m only doing it occasionally because I realise that I probably have about 17 years left on the planet and there’s no point in keeping all this. In addition, I buy far more than I sell and new vinyl costs a lot of money.

That said, putting things up for sale on eBay is such a drudgery.

BDC, Tommyboy, dobyblue and 1 other person like this.
  11. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

selling rare vinyl was *very* different in the days before the internet. Selling off to a retail dealer or in bulk was never the way to go, not even then. It all depended on contacts with fellow collectors and how rare an item happened to be; one could in most cases get what others were willing to pay for something that might not have turned up again for years

12. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

I've been selling duplicates on Discogs for the past year .
    When I buy something new now, it's free money from my PayPal account...

showtaper, Johnny Vinyl and ndoheny like this.
  13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I'm keeping everything, right now.

14. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Many times:cheers:

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  15. James Glennon

I can certainly re
    I can relate to all of the above!:cop::targettiphat:

JG

16. James Glennon

How have you found it, selling on Discogs? Slow or reasonably fast?

JG

17. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I would be curious to find out why some folks here would sell their vinyl on e-bay rather than here in the classifieds. Do you make more money on e-bay or Discogs?
    Seems more likely that forum members would have more of an appreciation for records put up for sale here, than the "general public" on e-bay or Discogs.

ndoheny likes this.
  18. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

Been really good , couple orders a month, sell mostly to Aussies because of postage costs
    Get to recycle all those boxes I kept from online purchases on Discogs and EBay
    I definitely get much more selling this way than the trade in credit I used to get at my local shops

Dave S likes this.
  19. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

I'm not at that point yet. I do have some "rare" first pressings and few limited edition older boxes etc. but I still enjoy pulling them off the shelf and listening to them. If that ever changes, or my circumstances take a dire change, I'd have no problem parting with them as they are only material items :hide:

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  20. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

I sold of almost all my vinyl (@ 2,000) back in the late 80's early 90's. I am not & have never been a collector. I have no need for duplicate copies of the same music although I do have some duplicates due to not knowing what I already have or because I have bought the expanded/remixed version & haven't sold off the original copy.

21. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

My definition of VG or M is probably different from the discerning collector on here, and I don't want to run that risk. eBay has a more forgiving market in that respect.

To the OP's question, I work off of Discogs' minimum value feature, and if I ever get to the point where I need a large injection of funds (at the moment thanks to the wonders of national free health care, would be for a house or something), it's going, in bulk, under the assumption that the lowest amount I'll accept in payment would be the minimum value on Discogs.

22. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Please keep us (well, us Irish) updated about this.

23. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

I owned & operated a second hand record store (1984 - 1990) rare records were..well they were rare. 99.9% was run of the mill cheap quick turnover.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  24. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

id find it weird for anyone with any kind of collection to not be selling bits to buy new bits, be it records, cds or anything. everyone must have old bits they no longer need. at one point i was getting so many records at boot sales i always had at least 20 things on ebay weekly, i didn't have to pay for anything new for years.

25. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Yes. You should read this:

Can’t help falling in price: why Elvis memorabilia is plummeting in value

I was born in ‘64, the Beatles broke up when I was 5 years old. I’ve always been a huge fan, but I believe I’m in that very last group of Beatlemaniacs, and by the time you get to people born in ‘74 who started taking music seriously and could buy their own LP’s it’s 1990 and the Beatles aren’t anywhere near that level of popularity.

Point being, today there may be 5,000 people on the planet interested in my original copy of “Hear The Beatles Tell All”. In another 10 years there may be only 50. Anyone who was 16 in ‘64 is 70 now. I don’t know many 80 or 90 year olds who pay huge money for collectible vinyl. Full-Elvis happens to every artist, it’s just a matter of when.

showtaper and Crimson Witch like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.