Jethro Tull – Heavy Horses: New Shoes Edition, 5-disc set (9 February 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Jun 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I thought the problem with the Floyd disc was the packaging. That styrofoam insert eats away at the disc somehow?

2. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Could be, I haven't followed the issue. Then again you have an oxidation problem.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  3. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

I'm listening to this for the first time through headphones. The detail and clarity and balance are just astonishingly good. No Lullaby blew me away, and then Moths . . . words are inadequate for describing how good this is.

As for the DVD 2 fog, if there will be replacement, I'm in, but in the meantime, I'll do what I've done with the other sets, and rip the files.

Getting a better sense of what a great drummer Barriemore Barlow is/was . . .

4. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

Not true. At least certainly not in the UK.

5. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

As it turns out, my internal DVD drive won't play DVD 1 either, even though the playing surface looks flawless. No problems on my other players. I don't know what that could be about. I used that drive to play another DVD last night.

6. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

So what caused the foggy DVD spotty apparence? Dirt, humidity, finger grease, oxygen or whatever trapped inside?

Reminds me of someone leaving a hot coffee cup over a varnished piece of wood. The warmth will get the humidity inside the varnished wood...

Still not acceptable IMO but that is just an opinion not a life and death situation...

7. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I don't know (certainly not finger grease as nobody actually touches the discs when they are pressed), but I don't think it is actually inside, it looks like it's part of the outer layer or the surface, at least on my copy. I have had DVDs looking like this. They still play fine after years. Maybe a sign of a rushed pressing? Only time will tell I guess. I'm not concerned.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    alx7, Norco74 and johnny q like this.
  8. I’ve made it through both DVDs and both 5.1 and stereo layers. To my ears, everything sparkles in a stunning way and these new mixes really highlight the skill of the arrangements.

As with the other deluxe sets, the bonus material is strong and it holds up well next to the proper album.

The booklet is also a home run and extremely illuminating in terms of understanding the context, motivation and processes regarding how these songs were written. It makes me happy to see this catalog (much of which has been brand new to me as these sets have been released) treated with such respect and attention to detail. As a fan, I couldn’t ask for anything more.

Looking forward to the next set(s)!

FVDnz, Runicen, DonnyMe and 7 others like this.
  9. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Just had a listen and it's indeed top notch, which is to be expected at this point.

FVDnz, The Hud and alx7 like this.
  10. alx7

alx7 Forum Resident

My set showed up today from Amazon.ca!! I checked the DVD 2 and found the markings that have been mentioned. To me I don't see scuffs or scratched but maybe... pressure marks? Kind of like what you might see on LPs sometimes. As for example "Sticky Fingers" at zipper location. They are visible but not audible.
    I dunno, my copy isn't a concern for me due to fact I can't see it unless I look for it. Probably would have never noticed.
    Anyway I'm going in for listen!

11. geodos

geodos Forum Resident

Just finished listening to the Berne concert in 5.1. It is long so it took two sittings. Great recording. Nice and clean sounding. The surround mix is very good. I usually find live recordings don’t benefit from surround mixes, but this one is pretty immersive. Very enjoyable. I don’t think I’ll be listening to Bursting Out anymore.

FVDnz and hugo.polo like this.
  12. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I'm noting the inclusion of "A Stitch in Time" on the RSD Moths EP. That bodes well for Stormwatch, if history repeats itself. The first clue we had about the Benefit remix was an RSD EP that included a new mix of "Teacher."

For any trainspotters out there, the new EP combines the aborted Moths EP with both sides of the "Stitch" single. On the original single, "Sweet Dream" was the version from Bursting Out (and the single's A-side in Germany). I wonder if this EP will have that same version of the track, or if they've substituted the newly mixed Berne recording.

Runicen likes this.
  13. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

We should get 6 extras at least. Stitch in time, King Henry's madrigal, Kelpie, Crossword, Broadford bazaar and Blues instrumental. Hopefully we get Apocalypse and others too

Plan9, Kim Olesen, Runicen and 2 others like this.
  14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Foggy is an interesting description. The markings on mine that look under the surface are "blotchy" looking. Weird shapes like clouds. Mostly cumulus but some are longer/narrow (cirrus? I 4get my basic weather stuff from college)....

The Hud likes this.
  15. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Fog and clouds?

Hidden message pointing towards “Stormwatch”

Doug_B, spondres, Plan9 and 7 others like this.
  16. kevnhuys

kevnhuys Forum Resident

So, what's the ratio of posts here discussing fogging of the physical media (which I rip once and forget), to discussing the content?

10:1 maybe?

Ugh.

17. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I always had a soft spot for Crossword.

18. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

So I finally got mine in my hands and once again, Mister Wilson has delivered another stunning achievement. Need to listen to the album a few more times so I can pick up on all the improvements but for the meantime, Rover, Heavy Horses and Beltane are sounding phenomenal! Will get on the surround mix tomorrow... :)

Runicen likes this.
  19. Snow2

Snow2 Forum Resident

Just another first class achievement. Cant praise this enough….great value! It was interesting to read Anderson's comments about the photo shoot session for the album cover - and - as always with these editions - love some of the unseen photos (well I've not seen all of them!)

May favourite out of the "folk trilogy" is actually Stormwatch…so here's hoping for the same quality!

20. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

Marvellous guitar work from Barre on that.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  21. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

My set arrived this morning. After sampling select tracks it seems like Steve Wilsons mix is another homerun. He is less faithfull to the original sound on this one (which is good because damn that drum sound on the original was strange, particularly the snare which sounded like it had ADT on it).

The live show.....well the mix seems a little too dull for my tastes. I might have a go at nudging some gentle high end in myself, just like i did with the show on the SFTW set.

22. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

can't add much more than everyone has said....mine is in perfect condition

this is the standard of what I would like for all artists when reissuing past albums, book is brilliant and an entire show from the tour

as far as the show....wow what a band...special mention to Glascock/Barlow (now if I could only watch them on the dvd perform this wonderful show)...also can I get a show from the USA leg please?

John Manning likes this.
  23. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

Set is nicely done. All the new mixes are impressive.

24. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

Here's a pic of DVD2's scuff/smudge/fog, exaggerated by the flash - this cannot be wiped off.

[​IMG]

slipkid likes this.
  25. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Exactly what mine looks like. Plays fine though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.