Would you consider selling off some of your prized vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Vinyl, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trace

Trace Senior Member

I have no need for 3-4 (or more) copies of the same album. I keep the best sounding one and all others go. I have strict rules on duplicates so I don't be come a hoarder. Of course, I collect to play, so this may not be everyone's cup of tea.

James Bennett, troggy and Gavinyl like this.
  2. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I don't have enough.

3. whodanny

whodanny The Who ! THAT'S WHO !!

I'm sure, but then they move on to the next thing. One day all the cool stuff will be forgotten. My 16 year old daughter currently loves early Syd Barrett Floyd stuff, her School friends all think her Dad is so cool because I have all that stuff, it'll pass. The sad thing is they don't really have anything quite so cool and remarkable of their own era.

Murph and Doggiedogma like this.
  4. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

That's my motto, but I am keeping my one collection of Beatles records as a collector. I suppose if I need the money, money talks....

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  5. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Well, coming of age in the mid to late 1980s, I didn't either. I was always looking backwards. REM was around, but not well known outside of college towns, I don't remember listening to them in high school. I discovered U2 fairly early, but then moved somewhere where everyone was listing to Starship, Night Ranger and Loverboy.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  6. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Yeah, I've sometimes thought of getting rid of my Beatles "collectors purposes only" records, like Introducing the Beatles, early Capital albums, The Beatles in Italy, 45s, and the like. I'd still have all the songs in mono and stereo and some extra dough in my wallet.

7. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Everything is for sale :)

zphage likes this.
  8. whodanny

So, did you stay with your own instincts or go with what was thought to be "cool" at the time. |I get from your post that you would pretty much go with your own likes rather than follow a crowd. I always tried to follow my own preferences, but once in a while I discovered something new from others.

9. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I sold some prized lps, and guess what happened? Over the next few years I purchased them yet again.

10. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Japanese, UK originals, German, old Impulse, Riverside, Atlantic, etc way out of print box sets, pristine 70s rock records bought in the day

NOPE

my kids will get a field day

11. Wingman

Wingman Bored of the Rings

I think I'd like to sell my LPs but I don't even know where to begin. Are there businesses that buy entire lots (my pile is about 900 strong)? I really don't have the time or patience to do something like the Ebay route.

12. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Sure...what's your pleasure?

13. dorium_tres

dorium_tres Forum Resident

i keep some records purely to flip down the road if I spot something in a shop I really want and that owner is open to a trade. It's how I recently acquired a rare hip-hop record from a small houston act.

14. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

I've had numerous instances where I discovered that something that I had was worth crazy money -- I found out that my copy of Miles Davis' Relaxing With Miles Davis that I bought for $12 at a NYC flea market was actually a fluke crazy thing, where the Prestige address on the label was different from the label address on the jacket, which meant that it had to be an original ORIGINAL first pressing, like from the East Coast in the very first month or two of its release (the album actually came out while the Prestige label were in the process of moving, and they used up the old labels on hand first, then replaced them with the new address labels when those came back from the printers). So by a fluke of timing, apparently to have this particular pressing, somebody had to be a somewhat hip Miles Davis fan buying the album in one of a select few stores in the East Coast area, within a few weeks or months of its release in 1958, right as the label was moving its headquarters.

And I had a small-label album by this '70s Austin band called Steam Heat that I sold on Ebay for crazy money, on account of some particular drum break on it. One day I was goofing around, and I searched Ebay Completed Items, sort Highest price to lowest, just to see what was out there, and I saw another copy of it go by, $400 or something crazy...I turned to my wife and said, wait a minute, I have that! I kind of regret selling that one, sometimes, but not really.

But there are certain other records in that ridiculous money category, that I probably won't part with, simply because they are special to me, or a personal favorite of mine. But when it came down to me sitting down and relaxin' with Miles -- hey, I love me some Miles, but not that much. Shipped it off to Japan. As they say in the blues, "some other gambler can have my room." If they want it, let 'em have it!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  15. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Woah, I totally get why you would have one or two - maybe occasionally even three - copies of an album but three as minimum? Seriously keep the original you personally prefer and one nice sounding audiophile reissue. Sell the rest. Especially the copies you have never revisited.

You know what it's like: Two ears, one life. Too many records.:evil::evil::evil:

pinkrudy likes this.
  16. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I feel your dilemma Johnny V! I don't need to move some of the items I have because I'm desperate to make ends meet (I'm certainly not well off by any means, but I'm able to afford my mortgage and vehicle), but I do continue to enjoy purchasing media and I had to accept that some of the items I have which are worth money, that maybe I might listen to once every 2-3 years, they're better off in someone else's collection freeing me up to move some cash towards something I think I might listen to 2-3/month.

I struggled mightily with it initially, but it's been quite liberating.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  17. Johnny Vinyl

Johnny Vinyl Vinylholic Thread Starter

I have like 6 copies of Deja Vu, 8 copies of DSOTM and 6 0r 7 APP-I Robot. I used to love comparing them, so my interest lay in acquiring better copies. However, I'm pretty much done with that, which is why I'm looking to sell most of the copies I don't really play any longer.

Neonbeam likes this.
  18. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWV

I was recently contacted by someone who was interested in buying a cassette I have in my Discogs collection. While I'm not interested in selling it right now, perhaps after I've retired from work I'll consider downsizing and putting some items, including music books, up for sale. About 12 years ago I was so desperate for funds that I sold an LP and a single at a London record shop. Really regretted having to do that, but I've since replaced the LP with a CD, and the single with a re-pressing.

19. Johnny Vinyl

Johnny Vinyl Vinylholic Thread Starter

You nailed it buddy! :wave:

phillyal1 likes this.
  20. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I sell stuff off all the time.

I sold my Tool OPs last year. They got so valuable that I was afraid to interact with them, anymore.
    Did a full clean and setup.
    Hoooked up the Dragon and Taped them while I playgraded.

Bought a ton of new vinyl with the proceeds.

Worked so well I sold off my Marilyn Manson LPs the next month.

zphage and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  21. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I was first exposed to Sabbath and Tull by my cousin who was both more social than me, and lived in Charlotte rather than Horseheads, NY. I liked these far more than what was popular at the time, and it started me on my ridiculous path of obsessive record collecting.

I had a few albums that I bought more because they were popular, rather than any great appreciation I had for them. Slippery When Wet and Open Up and Say Ahh, come to mind. In fact, I think I bought the Poison because of the cover art "controversy." But mostly, it was me chasing down songs I liked that I heard on oldies or classic rock stations.

My introduction to Zappa came from a fellow trumpet player who got a sampling from his instructor.

whodanny likes this.
  22. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Nice, and from what we've heard from Tool's Adam Jones there's a chance you can replace those Tool LPs for hopefully around $20~$30/pop and they'll best all the other versions. Fingers crossed!

23. whodanny

That's really how I went about things. I remember hearing Gordon Lightfoot's "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" I had to find out who that was and where to get it. My Who, Zeppelin and Sabbath friends thought I'd gone of my nut. But I liked it all. Sorry if this is getting a bit off topic.

seed_drill likes this.
  24. culabula

culabula Unread author.

If only more resellers took PayPal (like AMAZON!).

Gavinyl likes this.
  25. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I hate being referred to as a collector because I buy LPs to listen to not collect. I never gone done the road of 'completing' a collection, thankfully. I have to have an interest in the music!

JG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.