Just started, but should I start again?Marantz

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jimmy Mac, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac Zooropa... better by design Thread Starter

Try and make this as brief as possible as nobody replied to my first thread. Decided in December I was going to start building a theatre buying new equipment almost every month.

Started with a Yamaha Aventage 1070 and a pair of Klipsch RP-280’s. Next looking for a TT, I was thinking a Rega RP 2 or 3. Then I laid eyes on a Goldnote Valore 425+ and HAD to have it. That just quadrupled what I was thinking of spending on the RP2, and was now more expensive than my receiver. So before I get my next item, I want to make sure I have done this right? Am I getting the most out of my TT through a preamp (Rega Phono AD for now as a loaner) and the Yamaha 1070 or do I buy like an integrated two channel like a Marantz PM8005, or do I still want a phono stage with an integrated too? Or is an amp/preamp combo still the best for listening to vinyl? That’s my biggest concern right now, getting the most out of my vinyl.

Jimmy

2. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

Not sure how a TT fits into plans to "build a theatre."
    How about a nice little two channel all analog system?

That said, I'm in this boat at the moment for stereo vinyl listening.
    My TT is going straight into a Denon AVR-4520ci

3. Jimmy Mac

The TT was to “tide me over” instead of letting a receiver and speakers sit in boxes for months.

I have no problem with a “two channel all analog system” would it be considerably better than what I’ve got set up now? Which is kind of the question I’m asking?

Jim

4. Thouston

Thouston Forum Resident

How big is your stage going to be? Live performers can get pricey. :)

Definition of a theatre;
    Theatre or theater is a collaborative form of fine art that uses live performers, typically actors or actresses, to present the experience of a real or imagined event before a live audience in a specific place, often a stage. The performers may communicate this experience to the audience through combinations of gesture, speech, ...

Seriously; I much prefer a good 2 channel system over a surround system.

5. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

Ooooo, banks of Saul Marantz 150 amps, voiced by the master of the 3 martini sound...Cheers!! That's the way, just good ol vintage Marantz, dig it!!

6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yes, and be ready to pay for repair bills, unless you buy one that has been restored with new caps etc.

7. rednedtugent

Congrats on your turntable. I can say w/out hearing your setup you are not getting the most out of the TT.

I can't help you much other than that. What is your goal? Great HT system? How much movie to music %
    do you listen to? Budget? Do you have a lot of vinyl?

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  8. Jimmy Mac

Thank you RedNed for the response. I don't have a budget per se but that doesn't mean that I want to have a separate set up than from the eventual theatre. I went in an talked to my audio guy at the shop for an hour yesterday. I would be up for buying a whole new pre amp and an amp but I would like it to be a part of the same rig and not have to buy a whole new set of speakers either. He's trying to figure out if his guy can make me a custom switch so I can use the same two fronts for my theatre and then toggle the switch for when I just want to play my turntable. Do I have a lot of vinyl? Maybe 150 albums total, but I like collectibles and that's what most of my albums are, where I don't bat an eyelash at an asking price of hundreds and even thousands of dollars per copy. The theatre would get used by the whole family, the LP's only by me. That being said I think I've resigned myself after about three days of doing nothing but studying phone stages that I might just buy a higher end Slee or the GoldNote PH-10 (to match the TT) and be done with it for now. Whether it be in the Yamaha and I resign myself to this is as good as it's gonna get, or with an integrated down the road, either way I'm still going to need a preamp.

Jim

9. rednedtugent

10. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Yes, a great phono stage will be a huge game-changer... BUT your 2M Blue, while an adequate cart, can't hold a candle to a lot of other carts on the market which would cost a few hundred dollars and bring your entire "vinyl game" up, so to speak. :)

Your cart would essentially be your bottleneck. The cart doesn't need to be extremely expensive but there are loads of great choices and would *strongly* recommend the cart being the very next thing that its upgraded once you've purchased a new phono stage.

11. Jimmy Mac

So up to a 2M Bronze Strat-Mangler, or even higher, or get away from Ortofon alltogether? I can always move the blue to my Project Primary, which was my first TT and that I still use to listen in a hundred sq foot room when everybody is in bed.

Jim

12. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I'm a little surprised the dealer didn't suggest the (sort of) common solution for setups like yours.

Your Yamaha AVR is perfectly respectable for HT.

If you're determined to have a pure 2-channel setup built into your home theatre (HT), all you need to do is add an integrated amp (or a 2-piece pre- and power-amp) which has a HT Bypass connection. This will enable you to control volume in the most convenient* manner when switching back and forth.

It's a chore to understand and set up, but it will achieve the goal. If there's a subwoofer in the system, it will require even further consideration; ie, are your front speakers adequate for your 2-ch playback etc.

You can add a phono pre as needed, but any number of upscale integrateds may include very good phono sections built-in. You might check such makes as Marantz, Parasound, Rogue. Arrange auditions if possible.

*Also know this: no matter how streamlined this might seem to you, it's most common for wives and kids to be less adept at operating remotes to access what they want (as opposed to what you want). Probably moreso if there's a dealer-made "custom switch" which might require powering down, or some other inconvenience. Just sayin'.

I'd suggest first returning to your dealer and see if this approach resonates with him.

Happy hunting.

13. Jimmy Mac

Thank you for your help too. Those are exactly the words he had used HT Bypass (he even mentioned a company like QED? Making on back in the day.

We talked about Marantz Integrate and even though he’s a dealer of them he suggested no and moving up to a Unico Nuevo or the higher model, as I like the idea of a hybrid but he suggested even if we got the Nuevo which has an optional phone stage...I’d still want a separate preamp and is actually suggesting the Black Cube SE. So that’s where I’m getting the no matter what is next, a new preamp is in order.

Jim

14. Strat-Mangler

No need to buy a preamp. Your current integrated amp has a "Straight" button on your remote control. Pressing it will put your unit in Pure Stereo, meaning it will bypass all audio processing done by the DSP chip dealing with surround sound and other effects.

You want to listen to 2-channel stereo? Press the Straight button. Now, you want to watch a movie with surround sound? Press the Straight button again to put your unit back to its surround sound mode. Basically, it'll switch between these two modes. No need to buy a preamp to do that.

15. Strat-Mangler

Oh, forgot about the cart. Entirely up to you to decide, really. Ask anybody and you'll get about just as many answers.

One guy will say to go for an Ortofon, another will say, Audio-Technica, another will chime in with Hana, etc.

Myself, I have a Dynavector 20X2L and am *very* satisfied. For a lower-priced alternative, their 10X5 is a solid choice and due to its stylus shape, it's quite forgiving of pops and ticks. No idea what your budget is for that, but the higher you climb, the more options you have.

I had the 2M Blue before getting the 20X2L and can assure you the difference was enormous in every way imaginable.

16. Jimmy Mac

Okay, so “straight” is better than the 2.0 stereo music mode I was listening in. I do detect a slight difference.

17. Strat-Mangler

The difference is that the audio isn't processed by that DSP chip so theoretically, it should sound better.

The main point is there's no need to sink money in purchasing an additional component (pre-amp) you don't need. :)

18. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Wow, I'm surprised (and pleased) that such a feature still exists on any AVR. I was under the impression that most/all analog ins were being quietly directed to processing on newer AVRs.

Good catch.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  19. rednedtugent

To use Stereophile ranking parlance,

I'm not sure using a class B TT and a class B phono pre (I may be selling them a little short) into a
    class C ARV with class C speakers are going to give you the desired result.
    As mentioned by others above, I'd just finish building your theatre with the TT going into
    that for now and enjoy that. If you get the audiophile bug you will know what to do. :winkgrin:
    If you already have it...:-popcorn: I'm sure there are plenty of knowledgable people here to help
    you spend your money.

Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.