Iron Maiden Song By Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Nov 8, 2017.

1. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I have few shows from the close dates to this but unfornately I don't have the show you were in.

However, there's atleast one recording available from that show. Here's little synopsis of the recording that I found:
    A very great performance that the band delivers us here. Bruce is in his best shape and performs an awesome show. There's something that makes this bootleg kinda special: A drum solo from Nicko! The reason for this is that there was a problem with the guitars and Bruce said to Nicko: "A good idea to fill the time with a drum solo!" This bootleg could be one of the best from this tour but unfortunately the quality lacks big time. If you don't mind the quality then you might check this one out.

2. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

The vinyl for these are really expensive too. It sucks, because I really want to put them in album frames.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  3. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I know, especially if you're looking for anything in as good as possible condition. Maybe someday, or I just so hope that we get reissues somehow.

Zoot Marimba and The Hud like this.
  4. The Hud

Yeah, it is a real let down that they weren't apart of the reissue program. The CDs are still in print as far as I know.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  5. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

"A Real Live One", like I mentioned previously I got this on cassette when it was released. I blasted this and the dead one a lot around those days.
    I enjoyed this one and it's pretty good/ok still but now that I've seen and heard plenty more versions of the songs, I think I have to do serious revisit to this album someday.
    Seems like when the broadcasted and later to be released full Donington show, was showcase for the band showing that raw, energetic and hungry band performing great show.
    Then on Live One Steve somehow handpicked some songs from different shows and put them to the album. Not quite possibly the best way to compile live-album as it's so disjointed.
    Now, it just feels that it's really blend of good and bad plus the mix ain't really anything special, it's really in your face but not at all breathing, really jarring like @Cheevyjames said earlier.
    I won't go too detail about reviewing each song here, some of them are good and some ain't that special at all, now that I've heard many shows and seen aswell I can pick out best.
    You cannot bypass the song "Fear Of The Dark" on this album, it's absolutely the best version ever and the Finnish crowd just set the template for the others to follow on concerts.
    They should have done (like it was mentioned here) just release the full show from Helsinki and get it properly mixed by Martin Birch, now that could have been truly awesome live-album.
    Actually now thinking I feel little empty for this and the other live-album for some reason. This ain't bad at all but they got so good live-albums that compilation feels wrong way to listen to Maiden-live.
    Not sure what rank should I give but 3/5 shall be it for now.

6. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

I haven't had much to add.
    As I had mentioned earlier I was so out of touch with Maiden by this point.
    I never bought any of the live albums period, at that time I thought all live albums were just crap. You want to hear em? Go and see em then was my type of mindset.

Man how times change, I love listening to live stuff now. (like the recent Master of Puppets shows)

I want to tell everyone thank you for sharing all of your experiences during the time we are discussing.
    It is so much fun to read what you were doing, where you were at in life, the expectations, the disappointments.

Hell I even like your not so clear fuzzy memories :righton: Keep it up.

7. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

"A Real Dead One", I remember that the cassette and cd came with poster that had live-pics and other side was the Maiden family tree.
    The album entered Finnish-charts and something was played on radio then. But the best was for the single "Fear Of The Dark (Live)" from "Live One" and it had #6 on the Finnish charts.
    The pair of live-albums, this "Dead One" concentrating on the older songs performances was probably a bit more interesting for me. Something felt more right here for me.
    Also I think it's really like @Cheevyjames said here the band shows much more enthusiasm and fire in comparison to the more "don't give crap" feeling of the previous live.
    Of course it continued the same formula of picked songs from various shows and the mix was equally the same. So it was the same ideal package but with older songs.
    But there were couple songs that interested me really, "Prowler", "Where Eagles Dare" (with that Clint Eastwood mention from Bruce), Transylvania atleast..
    Basically, there were few songs that weren't played too often but also wouldn't be included on the Donington-album at all.
    I remember reading somewhere it was told what the roadies or was it Bruce talked over the "Number Of The Beast" intro-tape there..can't recall what it was, maybe someone knows.
    And if counted correct with the 2 albums and single, the total songs from the Helsinki-show is 5, I wonder would there ever be a chance of them releasing it fully?
    Need to revisit these "Live One" and "Dead One" much more often as it seems that there's been long time since last time. Maybe I will during the weekend.
    I think while these 2 albums have their meaning and place, somewhat both have lost a bit of their best shine. Maybe they've got too much bootleg-feeling and rushed or something.
    Hope that you get what Im trying to say with these lines here. As I kinda think this has a bit of more attitude and energy, I can give this the rank 3½/5

8. The Hud

Hallowed Be Thy Name from A Real Dead One was also released as a single with awesome artwork of Eddie killing Bruce with a pitchfork.

9. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

It sounds like Bruce to me. It's incredibly distracting, I forgot to mention that. It's also kind of disrespectful in a way. Yeah, I know he was out the door, but don't crap on the song.

SammyJoe and MusicMatt like this.
  10. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

[​IMG]
    I like the joke of Eddie killing off Bruce.

11. The Hud

Makes me wonder why they chose that performance. The rest of the song is performed solidly, but nothing spectacular. I am sure there is another recording that is equal if not superior.

SammyJoe, CBackley and Cheevyjames like this.
  12. The Hud

This could have also been the cover for A Real Dead One. :)

13. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Until I hear otherwise, I'm going to assume that the Helsinki version is always superior.

So, since we're talking about Helsinki so much, here's the setlist from that show:

Iron Maiden Setlist at Jäähalli, Helsinki

It's the same setlist as Donington. It was totally over the top to release 3 live albums from this tour.

SammyJoe, Zoot Marimba and The Hud like this.
  14. The Hud

I remember reading somewhere what he actually is saying over the intro. I will have to try to find that again.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  15. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

It would certainly be a good callback to the original Maiden Japan cover.

16. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Raising Hell

Or my memories of it.

I was a member of the Maiden fan club, id been to see them at Wembley earlier in the year, was frustrated to see Bruce leave, what would happen to the band? But there was a notification sent out to fan club members, if you wanted to go see the final concert with Bruce being filmed you needed to contact the fan club, which i did. I was allocated 2 tickets, instructions were to turn up at Uxbridge London Underground Station at a set time, early evening, and you will be taken to a secret location for the filming. So i dragged along a friend, the only condition was you must wear a Maiden tee shirt so gave my old one for my friend to wear. Where would the show be filmed? Tried to guess but in reality it was a short 10 minute coach ride to Pinewood Studios.

I do have to caveat this, yes, i did go to the filming but there were two days of filming. The first was the full concert, the second (and Bruce's final show until he returned,) was the one i went to. At that second show they performed and filmed the Simon Drake tricks. The band were all there that second day and did perform a number of songs, half a dozen? I cant honestly remember what songs but it was all amongst the filming of the tricks. Certainly Be Quick or Be Dead and Iron Maiden were performed in full, I suspect the other songs were ones either side of the other tricks (please dont ask me to watch the full concert to see what the songs were, its really not a good show.)

When i turned the youtube performance on earlier this afternoon i clearly remember Simon Drakes intro which has to be repeated/filmed many times, also the cheap feel of the tricks. Definitely not high budget. My biggest memory of the evening was the bands body language. It was clear as day they didnt want to be there. Everything we know now about the band being very annoyed with Bruce could be seen on stage. No dialogue, it was very frosty. To be fair they played well but i can see it when i watch the youtube performance back. I assume as it was shown on TV that was its intended market but it did later come out on VHS. I bought it but its never warranted repeat showings. Bruce puts on a okay performance but you cant really fake it, they all wanted it to be over. Management again pushing them to do this or band decision, who knows, but as a show it sucks because you know their passion wasnt in it.

So there ends the era with Bruce. Sad for my first Maiden live performances to be on that final '93 tour which could never be called a high. I did stick around with Maiden until the first single of the next album.................well, we'll get to that soon enough. I now own the 90's albums and can look forward (if thats the right words,) to listening with an open mind. 1993 was an exciting time for UK music, US too. It was too easy to part ways with Maiden with the other new music on the scene. I am not surprised they faded during that decade, but class is permanent and they came back.

Onwards................

supernaut, 16s, Maidenpriest and 8 others like this.
  17. A Real Live One
    2/5
    A Real Dead One
    2/5

Sorry all, I don't like either. A band tired and sleep walking.
    Also the start of releasing way too many live albums...with next to no quality control.

SammyJoe, CBackley, izombie73 and 3 others like this.
  18. Almost Simon

This is very sad to see, an obviously unhappy 'Arry discussing Bruce leaving, the interesting part from 8:56 where talks about Bruce's lack of performance during the '93 tour, also announcing his leaving 3 weeks before. Ouch! Painful to watch.

Edit: just watched some of Bruce's performances during this interview. 'Arry may just have a point.

19. Almost Simon

After all this 1993 tour negativity i'm actually looking forward to the new lead singer!!!:eek: ;)

20. Almost Simon

There was a reason given why Live/Dead weren't included in the most recent vinyl reissues. I cant remember exactly. Rights? Different label? Either that or basically an excuse because the band is not fond of that 92/93 tour due to all the reasons mentioned over the past 2/3 pages of this thread. I remember live/dead were called out for not being included but didnt see a reason why Live at Donnington was also excluded. I believe its a band/management decision. They'd like to ignore this live era rather than celebrate. Though I might be wrong in this view, who knows.

SammyJoe and The Hud like this.
  21. Almost Simon

I've done my bit on Raising Hell, have a look if you want or ignore, happy to move on now. I'm all Bruced out to be honest.

22. I remember watching Raising Hell live.
    They were a shadow of the band I had followed from the very start. I thought they were done around this point.

23. Zoot Marimba

I’ve read that there was briefly a rumor of Di’Anno coming back once or twice. Not saying it would have happened, but could someone comment on that?

CBackley likes this.
  24. Almost Simon

Really???:eek: Can't see it myself. Surely Maiden had plenty of people they could choose from. I'd be interested to know the names of the other candidates who missed out to Blaze.

CBackley and Zoot Marimba like this.
  25. Zoot Marimba

Yeah, there’s no way in Hell Steve would have ever brought Di’Anno back. It could bring world peace, and Steve wouldn’t do it.