Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Thanks for the report. I'd looked at the Cutting Room gallery and it looked like a very interesting venue. Still sorry I couldn't go! I take it the whole thing was longer than the 18 minutes on the YouTube channel?

2. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Oh yeah, just having fun, can't get enough Jimi posts! can't wait to pick my copy up tomorrow!

3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

:righton:

So Electric Lady Studios was Eddie's idea. Boom goes the "conspiracy theory" that it was part of a Mike Jeffrey masterplan to exploit Jimi.

tedhead and Maidenpriest like this.
  4. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Forum Resident

I recently looked for both of them as potential gifts, and did locate them on Amazon US.

They were a little on the expensive side, but not prohibitive for someone who really must have them.

Not sure if they are still there though.

smoke likes this.
  5. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Whoever's idea it was, sadly Jimi only got 4 weeks to record there, mostly while it was still under construction. Imagine if he had just a few more months to complete his vision..

6. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

He was so happy it was there, he dragged Winwood and Chris Wood in to jam and got his engineer out of bed to play drums! He had two months there from mid June to end of August, taking time for weekend shows and the July-Aug vacation. Far too short.

7. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Thanks for the video!

J.Lucas and EVOLVIST like this.
  8. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Sorry Jim, I still disagree. Eddie's account here doesn't differ from what he's been saying in interviews for a while:

Eddie Kramer and the Early Days of Electric Lady

Eddie was the one that suggested they make just a recording studio, while Jimi and Mike Jeffery had the idea to make a nightclub with a small recording studio built into it. Kramer even says in the YouTube video that Jimi and Mike has already purchased the space six months before he suggested the idea of a recording study (only) to them. John Storyk was pissed off because he'd already been drawing up plans for the nightclub and had to start from scratch. It wasn't until construction began that they ran into issues and costs began to escalate. So, Jimi was going to be "into Jeffery" for money, regardless of what was ultimately being built.

J.Lucas and Gordon Johnson like this.
  9. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

True, but the nightclub would likely have been a far cheaper establishment either way - think of the soundproofing and all the expensive studio equipment Electric Lady required. What's the inventories for a club - a bar and chairs? :)
    I don't think Jeffery had this evil concept of snaring Jimi with a club or studio; he probably just saw potential in it being a good businessman.

Gordon Johnson and Purple Jim like this.
  10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yes but the night club idea was more containable. A nice little way to jam and create a scene (no pun intended) and hey, a little studio at the back. It hardly reeks of big plans to exploit Jimi.
    Obviously when things went over budget, what could the partners (Jimi and Mike) do except step-up the revenu ? Tour of course. Nothing exploitative or machiavelic there. Hell, Jimi was a rock artist and Jeffrey was his manager. I can't see other ways that they could have used to generate more funds. Mike even agreed to let Jimi play only weekend gigs.
    That said, Jeffrey and John Hillman were syphoning money off to the Bahamas from the very start. I just don't see Electric Lady Studios as being specifically part of the Jeffrey master plan. Once it was becoming functional, Jeffrey just coudn't wait for Jimi to turn up, so he booked other artists in (much to Jimi's dismay when he wanted to turn up and jam/record) in order to keep the studio business running.

11. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I'll have to agree to disagree with you guys on this one (this is probably not the thread for it anyway). The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. The construction costs would've been high regardless (I recall reading they ran into structural problems when they started excavating but I don't have time to find the quote at the moment). I don't doubt the studio was ultimately more expensive. I've not read much saying Mike Jeffery ever had Jimi's best interests at heart. Jimi certainly made a lof of bad decisions on his own that put him deeper in debt as well (just read a piece from 2013 on P,H&A where it states he paid for '69 Record Plant sessions out of his own pockets instead of billing his record label).

Edit: I should have added that this "consipracy theory" has been floated in books on Jimi (not an original idea of mine). I will admit to not being a Mike Jeffery apologist though :D.

DTK likes this.
  12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

OK but would Mike go into a venture knowing that the costs would escalate and that would be a good way to further enslave Jimi? Nah.

DTK likes this.
  13. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Mike took his magic wand and rerouted the Minetta Creek straight through to Electric Lady, causing the flooding. Show me proof it didn't happen....

jhm, RPOZ51 and Arnold Grove like this.
  14. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Electric Lady was a brilliant financial idea, the club? Well that would have been short lived regardless.

The fact is, the only reason EL studios failed [if that term can be applied here] is that Jimi died!

BTW, Electric Lady Studio is an ongoing financially viable studio to this very day, but you all know that :)

Footnote; The origins of this and all other Hendrix threads are long gone by page 102!!!! Just surprised BoG topics have not really surfaced here, yet!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Hey, you know your geographical history of NYC! Excellent!!!

RPOZ51 and DTK like this.
  16. Sharp 1080

Sharp 1080 Well-Known Member

I recently read that also in the new RAH book. I believe it also states that Mike Jeffrey had to get mob approval for another nightclub in their area. He had connections for sure.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  17. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

What everyone here is forgetting is that Mike was a 50% owner of the studio. Even if Jimi fired him as a manager in late 1970 he still had to deal with him regarding the studio and negotiating 3rd party artists who wanted to book recording sessions by the week and how they would effect Jimi's ability to record when inspiration struck.

Mike had Jimi over a barrel.

BTW, a nightclub would be a similar cost. It was escalating price and delayed because they discovered an underground river(?) when excavating.

18. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

You've got to love Amazon. I actually got my cd copy of BSotS tonight, ahead of the official release (by a few hours at least :))! Happy listening, everyone!

Edit: Anyone besides me getting tired of digipacks?

ffracer, Christopher B and RockRoom like this.
  19. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Mine is on its way for arrival by tomorrow. And I’m right near an Amazon warehouse!

jhm likes this.
  20. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

Cant help but wonder what tapes people keep approaching John McDermott with to make him go " where were you 10 years ago".
    Was that concert footage from Dallas 70 ever located?

21. I think that's probably just the PC PR coming out if him, knowing that anything concrete he says about future releases might hurt the sales of this releases. That means the next time EH comes out with an album similar to BSOTS, they can say that some of it was recently found. I mean, that's just smart business, if it's true or not.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  22. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Minetta Creek flooded the building site.
    Well, one if them could have sold their share in the studio? Of course Jimi could have opted out. Lawsuits etc but that's part for the course in that music business.

23. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

All about Mike Jeffrey here (4 pages):
    Mike Jeffery - part 1 - Ready Steady Gone!

vmajewsk and marmalade166 like this.
  24. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I didn’t expect a coherent album. I didn’t get one. Taken on a song by song basis it is an ok archival (frankensteined or not, i don’t really care) release.
    It is what it is....

Pete Puma likes this.
  25. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Yes, they made contact with the owner of the tape.

New stuff crops up all of the time, various formats and quality. Some worth securing some not.

Some is secured while some is not.

dee, DrBeatle, oneway23 and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.