Rolling Stones Single-By-Single Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parachute Woman, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Yeah this EP is one of the cases where I'd much prefer to listen to the original artists sing these songs

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

A nice little EP with some high energy covers. Bye Bye Johnny is much better than Come On in my opinion. I believe it did not appear on an album in the U.K. until the Decca Rock 'N' Rolling Stones compilation. You Better Move On is one of their better early soul numbers. The song is actually based on Arthur Alexander's real life situation. I like it better than Time Is On My Side myself. The Stones apparently liked it well enough to include it on the U.K. version of Through The Past Darkly. I was glad when the bulk of these tracks finally appeared on More Hot Rocks in the U.S.

3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    I have this import cd which I assume is pirated. It is a useful compilation of their early singles and EPs.

1 Around And Around
    2 Good Times, Bad Times
    3 It's All Over Now
    4 Empty Heart
    5 Confessin' The Blues
    6 Not Fade Away
    7 Bye Bye Johnny
    8 You Better Move On
    9 I Wanna Be Your Man
    10 2120 South Michigan Avenue
    11 If You Need Me
    12 Poison Ivy
    Bonus tracks
    13 Money
    14 Come On
    15 I Want To Be Loved
    16 Stoned
    17 Little By Little
    18 Live Red Rooster
    19 Everybody Needs Somebody To Love / Pain In My Heart
    20 Route 66
    21 I'm Moving On
    22 I'm Alright
    Notes
    The German Mono LP "Around And Around" plus Bonustracks for the first time on CD !

Tracks 13-18 are from various singles (a & b sides) and British EP's 1963/64.
    Tracks 19-22 are from English only-Ep "Got Live If You Want It", July 1965

4. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Sorry, but I missed it. Who did sing the high part on Come On? I heard a radio live version sounded pretty on point.

5. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Brian and Bill used to do the squawky falsetto voices, thankfully they shut up after a few years of it!

ohnothimagen and Parachute Woman like this.
  6. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Bye Bye Johnny

Nothing much, but a fun little song. I'm finding myself impressed by Brian's guitar work.

Money

This one grooves, love the bass on this one. And anybody who says Charlie isn't a good drummer is not allowed in my house!

You Better Move On

This kind of sounds like "White Rabbit" to me. Nice guitar work, but this one doesn't do much for me.

The EP cover pic reminds me of the film Reservoir Dogs.

D.B. and Parachute Woman like this.
  7. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Of course, this EP was not issued in the States because, by the end of 1963, most record labels in the U.S. recognized that the EP was dead as a commercial format, and London was no exception.

"Money" deserves a mention because it was the only song covered by both the Beatles and the Stones in studio versions.

8. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

The Bye Bye Jonny EP was fab (not that I knew of its existence back then).
    Hell, everything they did in those early days was fab.

9. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's funny that it took them a little while to hit on the idea of Keith doing the harmony vocals, which is such a crucial part of so many of their early songs. I love Keith's raggedy voice very much but we'll get to that in time. :)

Ditto! Both times I saw the Stones live, the crowd cheered for Charlie during the band intros like he was a god. He is beloved by fans, that's for sure.

All Down The Line, Meyer and D.B. like this.
  10. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

I love the early Stones as an R&B covers band, but have always thought "You Better Move On" was incredibly lame - simply not believable and awkward. (I ordered a copy from the UK when I was living in Canada in the late 60s/early 70s, certainly never saw a CND pressing).

Meyer likes this.
  11. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Another of my favorite Stones imports. I played that LP to death in the early '70s. Wasn't that the only place to get the long version of 2120 at the time?

12. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Poison Ivy was also covered by Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs here in Australia. Not to derail the thread, but that era had some bands here doing great R&B covers.

John Fell likes this.
  13. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

The “Rolling Stones” 4 song EP is an early testament of the band’s deep roots and love for Rock and Roll, Blues and Rhythm and Blues.
    (Not to mention, a still developing ability to write their own songs.)
    Here’s a few general assessments:

Money: The train-like opening harmonica riffs give the song an ominous and slightly threatening tone, a kind of foreboding of similar themes in the Stones’ catalog. Parts of the song seem to be a glorious clatter of sounds and wailing.

Bye Bye Johnny: Not one of my favorite Chuck Berry tunes, the Stones try to replicate what they did with “Come On”...which was a better cover. Perhaps they viewed his songs as “sonic amulets”, and just good to have around.

You Better Move On: It sounds great to hear bands honoring their influences, and I’ve always thought it was amazing that Arthur Alexander was covered by both the Fab Four and The Workd’s Greatest Rock & Roll Band.
    Although the song is mawkish in tone, it’s still good to hear the Stones try their best on it.

Poison Ivy: A catchy, gimmicky cover with fun lyrics. The boys having fun.

While Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are testing and trying their sonic swagger, it’s Brian Jones’ instrumental versatility and innovativeness, that help distinguish a potpourri of a sonic sampler plate as The Rolling Stones.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    The MEZ and All Down The Line like this.
  14. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Really dig Bye Bye Johnny and Money, especially the latter which sounds very dark.

Was never really been a fan of You Better Move On.

15. Parachute Woman

I had never heard the original version by Mr. Alexander, so I checked it out:

His version is great, with a cool cha-cha rhythm to it. It's more convincing than young Mick, for sure. I pretty much just know his name from "You Better Move On" and the Beatles' cover of "Anna," but he's got a great voice. Funny, the description on this YouTube video says he was one of the biggest stars of America's "country soul scene," which is something I've never heard of. Apart from Ray Charles doing Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music, that is.

Alexander impresses me. Wikipedia says that he's the only artist to be covered in the studio by the Beatles, the Stones *and* Bob Dylan ("Sally Sue Brown" on Down in the Groove). Great pedigree.

D.B. and lightbulb like this.
  16. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

The last time was the first stones 45 i purchased. Ill be dead by the time we get to that era

Adam9 likes this.
  17. Malcolm Crowne

Malcolm Crowne Forum Habitue

I have to say the only "weak cover" of these four is Poison Ivy just because the original is so unbelievably cool when they come to the "whooping cough'll cool ya" part....
    You Better Move On is good. Real good. Jagger sounds about 13, and you gotta love that.

D.B. likes this.
  18. lightbulb

So, I guess...
    “Time Is NOT On Your Side”

:winkgrin:

19. lightbulb

Yes, I’d just read that Arthur Alexander is considered “country soul singer” which is a fairly exclusive title.

Also, I didn’t know that Bob Dylan joined the covers club.

20. Parachute Woman

I am posting a single every day around 12:00 PM EST. I believe we will be covering "The Last Time" next Friday, March 16. :)

I have laid out a calendar. We'll finish the whole thing on May 18.

21. lightbulb

Oh great!
    So, I’ve set my calendar alarm to alert me for March 12th, March 15th, March 18th, March 19th, March 22nd, March 25th, March 26th, March 28th, March 31st, April 2nd, April 3rd,
    April 5th, April 6th, April 9th,...

22. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

As I believe I've mentioned before, some of the decisions they made in regard to the Hot Rocks/More Hot Rocks tracklisting are real headscratchers...
    In The Great Escape, when McQueen and James Garner are handing out their homemade vodka, McQueen is exhorting everybody to "get good and stoned!" So it's not just a drug term...
    Open E, wasn't it?
    I admit I do prefer The Beatles' version of "Money" but I like everything else on the EP. "You Better Move On" I first heard on December's Children, where it sticks out as much as it does on the UK Through The Past Darkly!:laugh:

D.B. and Zoot Marimba like this.
  23. Parachute Woman

Next up (we are now getting into the songs lots of people will recognize!):

Not Fade Away (1964)

[​IMG]
    Released: 2/21/1964 (UK); 3/6/1964 (US)
    B-Side: Little By Little (UK); I Wanna Be Your Man (US)
    Charts: #3 (UK); #48 (US)

In 1964, the Rolling Stones' cover of "Not Fade Away", with a strong Bo Diddley beat, was a major hit in Britain. It was the A-side of the band's first US single.[4]

The Rolling Stones' version of "Not Fade Away" was one of their first hits. Recorded in January 1964 and released by Decca Records on February 21, 1964, with "Little by Little" as the B-side, it was their first Top 10 hit in Great Britain, reaching number 3.[5]In March 1964, it was also the band's first single released in the United States, on the London Records label with "I Wanna Be Your Man" as the B-side (It had been briefly preceded by "I Wanna Be Your Man" with "Stoned" as the B-side, but this was quickly withdrawn). The single reached number 48 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 singles chart.[6] It also reached number 44 on the Cash Box pop singles chart in the U.S. and number 33 in Australia based on the Kent Music Report. "Not Fade Away" was not on the UK version of their debut album, The Rolling Stones, but was the opening track of the US version, released a month later as England's Newest Hitmakers. It was a mainstay of the band's concerts in their early years, usually opening the shows. It was revived as the opening song in the band's Voodoo Lounge Tour, in 1994 and 1995.

24. Parachute Woman

Here's a great clip of the band performing the song on the Mike Douglas show in '64, featuring super awkward band introductions and screaming girls!

Not Fade Away: I love it. I think it's the best version of the song. The Bo Diddley takes a great melody from Buddy Holly and turns it into something really special. I always like when the Dead did it, but I think the Stones own this song. I first heard it on 40 Licks, which came out when I was 14. My dad is a huge, huge Stones fan and he used that compilation to get me interested in the band. I was in love right away and "Not Fade Away" fits right in among all their later hits.

Little By Little: The first Stones original to make it onto a single, with the Nanker-Phelge credit. It's pretty good. Better production than what we've had so far and a pretty solid guitar riff and a nice little solo from Keith and good blues harp. I like how it marries a pop melody with a blues arrangement. Mick has that laconic swagger in his voice...

25. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

Bo Diddley's problem was he created a sound and a rhythm and in terms of copyright it's a lot harder to make money off of it. The Stones mined that sound and rhythm pretty well and I think masterfully later with "Mona". "Not Fade Away" is a great single - you gotta love that acoustic intro and that amazing rhythm. The harp is also what separates the Stones from the rest of the pack at this stage as well. It's interesting that they chose to reprise "Not Fade Away" in 1994 to 1995 as the opening number on the Voodoo Lounge tour - an acknowledgment by the band of the importance of this single in their development. "Little By Little" is lightweight but enjoyable enough.

Malcolm Crowne likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.