Travis - The Man Who

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Harmonator, Mar 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harmonator

Harmonator Forum Resident Thread Starter

Got tickets today for Travis’ anniversary tour of the The Man Who.

Any fans of this album from 1999 or the band in general? They became a touch ‘middle of the road’ come the 2000’s but I was a huge fan of them in the 90s particularly this album and it’s predecessor Good Feeling.

They suffered from having that one ‘big hit’ song syndrome in Why Does It Always Rain On Me? but for me there are far better tracks. Driftwood is exceptional.

The fact that it’s almost 20 years old is scary. Feeling ‘auld’ as we say here in Scotland :)

[​IMG]

2. Harmonator

3. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

I "Luv" the entire album! Every radio station in the USA should be ashamed for missing out on this wonderful band.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  4. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

I love a later track called big chair....sends shivers down my spine when I hear it. I don't however like the song "sing" and they fell off rather quickly. The man who is great as well.

Parkertown and Harmonator like this.
  5. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

Always liked this album. As You Were, Slideshow and Writing to Reach You in particular.

Definitely brings me back to being 17!

6. Harmonator

Yeah I agree, I think they got caught up in trying to recreate a sing a long anthem like WDIAROM and never quite managed it.

Side and Re-Offender are 2 of their best later efforts

Golden Richards likes this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It’s a really good album. I should play it more often. It was a massive album back in the day, wasn’t it?

8. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

“The Man Who” is one of my favorite albums from the Nineties.

Upon my very first listen at a Tower Records’ store kiosk, with the ringing guitars opening “Writing To Reach You”, hearing the songs through tinny headphones, I was enraptured and astounded by the songs. I literally stood for 2 hours listening to the album on repeat, thinking I’d get bored by my infatuation.

As You Are, Driftwood, Last Laugh Of the Laughter (beatlesque), Luv (languishing), Turn, She’s So Strange, all held me by the ears...

1862 plays later, I have not lost my appreciation of their classic album.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  9. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Great album! I also collected their singles from this album too. I always said to myself they were the band who released more b-sides than their album tracks! Which was fine because their non-album tracks on the CD-singles were really good/interesting too!

10. Harmonator

They weren’t bad live either

paradox55 likes this.
  11. Harmonator

Some of the b sides were superb. My favourite is probably Standing On My Own which is from the first album, possibly the Happy single if I remember correctly. Still got most of them somewhere

12. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I really thought they had the potential to kick on and become as huge as (for example) Coldplay eventually became, but never quite happened after this album, despite them still making some great songs.

First time I saw them live they were supporting Oasis in Newcastle in '97 on the Be Here Now tour, I was really excited for them to be on stage, hardly anyone else in the arena seemed bothered which was strange, and I don't think I was particularly early to the Travis party.

Allen Michael and Harmonator like this.
  13. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I bought the The Man Who based solely on the cover! I kid you not! I saw it at Best Buy in like 1999-2000 and thought it looked interesting. And it was a good choice! Best Buy also carried their singles and I bought those too.

14. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

I didnt like them back in the day but I like them now, especially this album. Also they seem really good live from what I've heard.

15. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Hmm - I don't have anything from their first album.

16. onlyacanvasky

onlyacanvasky Your guess is as good as mine.

I really liked this album too, still perfect when the mood strikes (normally winter)

vonwegen, George P and Harmonator like this.
  17. Harmonator

I’d recommend it. Most people actually think The Man Who was their first album :doh:

18. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Be My Baby
    River
    ...Baby One More Time
    The Urge For Going

...were some of the BSides that I’d frantically tracked down...

Rick Bartlett and Harmonator like this.
  19. Harmonator

I forgot just how good this was

John Adam and lightbulb like this.
  20. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

Some have suggested that Coldplay effectively stole their audience from them.

21. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

I always thought thought it was a good album and it's too bad they were defined by Why Does It Always Rain On Me. Loved the other singles off it in Writing To Reach You, Turn and especially Driftwood more.

At least Sing would top WDIAROM and reach #3 in the UK off the next record. Side was a good single also. I lost track of them after Invisible Band.

Saw them opening for Oasis and was impressed.

OptimisticGoat and Harmonator like this.
  22. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I absolutely LOVE 'The Man Who'. And 'Good Feeling' and 'The Invisible Band'

How I wish there was a good mastering of their 3 first albums. They're classics, full of great songs. But the sonics aren't good.

Maybe one day AF will start picking up 90s bands (Radiohead, Oasis, Travis, Kula Shaker, etc) and we'll see a decent mastering at last

Up to 'Invisible Band' they were among the greatest bands back in the day. I still enjoy the Glasgow DVD and all their songs from the time, incl 'Coming Around'

:righton:

23. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

hmm - don't have this one.

24. Harmonator

B side to Why Does It Always Rain On Me. It’s available on Spotify

25. George P

George P Notable Member

I really love this album. I tried the earlier album and some of the later albums but they never really clicked like this one.

stodgers and vonwegen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.