Travis - The Man Who

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Harmonator, Mar 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harmonator

Harmonator Forum Resident Thread Starter

They really did nail most of their cover versions...

AaronW likes this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member

Indeed!

3. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I have that single; though mine has 1) Why Does It Always Rain On Me 2) Village Man 3) Driftwood (live) 4) Baby One More Time

4. VatiBobo

VatiBobo A Scotsman in Canada

I loved The Man Who when it came out - I was at uni in Stirling at the time and it was played regularly. Liked The Invisible Band, too. Always good to see some fellow Scots doing well. I vaguely remember them becoming more political after that album, and I didn't keep up with their stuff. Looking back now, it's funny to think, given how things turns out, that Coldplay were initially dismissed by some as Travis wannabes.

I haven't listened to The Man Who in a long time - maybe once in the last 15 years - but I think I'll go stick it on now...

TheMovieRad and Harmonator like this.
  5. Harmonator

In the UK there were 2 versions of the cd single:

WDIAROM?
    Village Man
    Driftwood (Live)

WDIOROM?
    The Urge For Going
    Slide Show (live)

Baby One More Time was one of the B Sides to ‘Turn’ over here

6. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

Great album
    They also had a great single called Closer, I think it was maybe a few years after.

andrewskyDE and Harmonator like this.
  7. Harmonator

This is perfection.

More Than Us. The final single from the debut album ‘Good Feeling’. A sign of what was to follow on The Man Who

John Adam and Surly like this.
  8. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Here's the scan of mine:

[​IMG]

John Adam and Harmonator like this.
  9. QuickDrawDave

QuickDrawDave Well-Known Member

Great band, I've seen them a couple of times live and they were superb.

I'd go see them live again but the ticket prices for their new tour are over £50 each. It would have cost me £170 for three tickets in the stalls / balcony of an all seater town hall, which is extortionate for a theatre-style venue lacking any real atmosphere.

Also when they announced the release of a £50 box set last year, it was only publicised on Facebook, with preorders taken for one day only. Therefore anyone who missed out had to pay ebay prices of at least £100.

As I said they're a great band, I'd love to see them live again and buy more of their stuff but they make it so expensive for fans!

lightbulb and Harmonator like this.
  10. Harmonator

Standing tickets for Glasgow were £45 which for the Hydro is relatively cheap!

Gutted I missed out on that box set too

11. Harmonator

Thought I’d post the other singles for anyone unfamiliar with this album

12. Harmonator

I’ll skip the official video for Turn as it’s dreadful :doh:

13. QuickDrawDave

QuickDrawDave Well-Known Member

I'm sure you'll enjoy the gig, I saw them at Newcastle Arena back in the day and also at Newcastle Academy on their last tour and they were superb both times.

I remember a few people saying they'd travelled down from Scotland as the tickets there sold out straight away!

14. Harmonator

Saw them a number of times since 1997 - always a good show

QuickDrawDave likes this.
  15. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Now, can someone please re-release this on vinyl in a normal standard edition? Not some obscure 'special' limited edition that came & went so quickly 99% of us only heard about it when it sold out.

16. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Thirded......

AaronW and Harmonator like this.
  17. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Yes, The Man Who is a very decent album. Travis did go very dull and MOR but they had a good sound and a good collection of songs on this outing.

18. recordman33

recordman33 Forum Resident

One of my favorite albums of that era. My favorite somg from it is actually one of the bonus hidden tracks.

19. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Great record. And because a Scottish friend of mine knows the drummer, I love it, too!

20. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

I love this band, OP.

They did a switcheroo on me - I got into them because I had discovered Oasis and sought out further britpop material. The first album was right up that alley.

Then I heard all the rest and was like "huh?". Their first album is one of their only ones that really "rocks" in your typical rock manner.

Of course once I came to terms with that I eventually became a big fan of the softer, melancholy sound they had going on for most of their other albums. Fantastic stuff for chilling out.

Love Travis. :)

Harmonator likes this.
  21. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Yes, that's right! Just like Suede, they have a metric crap ton of b-sides/non album tracks to the point that I'm still not sure - even with internet help - that I've got them all. :)

Harmonator likes this.
  22. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I don't have this album yet but it's on my wishlist.

Harmonator likes this.
  23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Yep, that's on The Boy With No Name. (Also) a great album IMO.

Rick Bartlett and EVOLVIST like this.
  24. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Loved the album when it came out. Saw them in Houston on that tour, lots of brits in the audience who couldn’t believe they were seeing them in a small club since in England they were playing huge places. I do think Coldplay took their momentum, had a similar sound at the same time. I remember thinking travis’ follow up was ok, nothing special. Then Rush if Blood came out and was loaded with great songs like Man Who did, and Travis’s career pause came at a bad time.

I haven’t thought of them in ages as my tastes changed, but I’ll play the Man Who tomorrow.

Harmonator likes this.
  25. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

I adore this album. It was released in the US a little later than in the UK (I believe) so I didn't get hip to it until 2000, but I moved from Minneapolis (where, by that point, I had only lived 1 year) to NYC that year and this album was my soundtrack for that big move. I agree that it should have been much, much bigger in the US. Favorite songs are "Turn," "Writing To Reach You," "Driftwood," "As You Are," and "Why Does It Always Rain On Me?" I really can't listen to just one of those songs without playing the other 4. It made me go back and get Good Feeling which is just OK, but "More Than Us" is as good as anything on The Man Who. Saw them a number of times in the '00s in NYC (including Radio City, with Remy Zero opening, and also at Irving Plaza in 2007) and they're always incredible live. I also love the Singles DVD because they've made some great videos - many of them are quite funny. Singles doesn't cover the late '00s and the '10s, but I've downloaded many of those later videos from iTunes over the years because they're videos I can watch again and again.

I went to Scotland in 2007 and stopped at a pub in Glasgow that appeared to be their "home base" of sorts - the bar itself is a big round oval (if I remember correctly) and in the center, above the bottles of liquor and the bartender's various tools, were various Travis items (like gold records, etc). I had no idea going in - it was late in the day and I just wanted a drink. It was a nice surprise to see!

Harmonator and longdist01 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.