Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

It looks like the best way to receive the streaming is still via the computer since my internet tuner may only be able to receive MP3 streaming. I have never received streaming in FLAC format. Do I need some decoding software on my computer to receive the BBC broadcast streamed in FLAC format?

2. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the second Vivarte box.

[​IMG]

3. Stunsworth

Stunsworth Forum Resident

No software required, just a web browser - Safari on a Mac in my case. Other than that just a USB cable from the Mac to my DAC. As I mentioned the BBC only used FLAC for the duration of the Proms, so I’m hoping they’ll repeat the experiment this year.

4. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the Argo Years box. Includes the String Symphony #12 in G Minor.

[​IMG]

5. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Now streaming on Amazon, "Frederic Chopin: Valses" performed by Laure Favre-Kahn on Transart Live.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. coopmv

So is this Marriner Argo Years box essentially the Argo Original Jacket box?

7. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

More or less. The back covers aren't reproduced, nor are the original liner notes in the booklet.

8. coopmv

The LP jacket front covers are far more attractive and relevant. The back covers with the super-small font size is almost impossible to read as I found out with the Glenn Gould Original Jacket box ...

9. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

True, but it looks cool. The third Living Stereo box has the best of both worlds-back covers are reproduced and the original liner notes are in the book.

bigstar87 likes this.
  10. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

NP. A fierce Sonata and a rather withdrawn view of On an Overgrown Path.

[​IMG]

royzak2000 and bluemooze like this.
  11. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I bought the original LP of that in 1977 and played it often back then. I should play it more now. Inspiring music, as I recall.

[​IMG]

I hope the CD includes the original notes of producer, John McClure, who describes the incredible difficulties CBS encountered in making this recording.
    They brought choruses from America, recording equipment from Switzerland, brass players from Germany and a Rieger organ from Austria... all of which was met by resistance from officials of the Italian customs and the Church. It's a wonder it was ever made.

vanhooserd and bluemooze like this.
  12. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

"Haunting" indeed! Glad you found it on the radio-- which is a rare thing to find such music played on-air these days.
    My preferred recording is this German/Telefunken LP, with Nikolaus Harnoncourt conducting.

[​IMG]

13. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Most radio stations have a web simul-cast which you can tune in with your web browser. I have an old "Squeezebox" network music player (originally made by Slim Devices, later taken over by Logitech) which I use to help sort/surf through classical stations from all over the world.

bluemooze likes this.
  14. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

One of the biggest problems with cassette is the cassette itself. So much can go wrong--over time--with those little plastic cases and ruin the tape.

vanhooserd likes this.
  15. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

A wonderful recording.

[​IMG]

WHitese, bluemooze, Bubbamike and 2 others like this.
  16. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I may have your machine! Did it look anything like this?

[​IMG]

That's a Tandberg Series 6x; one of two Tandbergs in my collection. I restored it to working condition, but still need to clean it up better.

The other Tandberg I have is a solid state deck from about 1971 -- the model 6000x:

[​IMG]

The Norwegians made some great, well-built machines back in the day.

McLover, Eigenvector, crispi and 3 others like this.
  17. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

I'm not sure how, but today I came across this YouTube video of a guitarist taking on Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor ... Normally I run I mile from these kind of things (anyone remember Dave Mustaine murdering The Four Seasons? :eek:) but this guy does a really good job IMO ...

I felt inspired enough to buy a copy of the real thing ...
    I reckon Mr Richter will give my Tannoys a good work-out! :laugh:

[​IMG]

18. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

What a beautiful cover, looks like an El Greco painting ...
    I already have this work on Archiv or else I'd be buying this!

19. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Columbia apparently realized that when planned the second (rematered) Glenn Gould Original Jacket Collection. The CD jackets still have the original LP content, front & back, but a large (10"x 10") book is included which reproduces the cover art and complete liner notes for each album.
    Of course, this makes the box large and heavy, but it makes everything far easier to read (especially for this geezer)! ;)

crispi likes this.
  20. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I have that Bach/Richter album! Super performance and recording. :righton:
    Yes, it will definitely give your system a workout!

julesd68 likes this.
  21. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I was listening to a cassette tape made from a library CD in the 90s. I had to do some detective work to determine the CD it was made from. I have a 1996 Sony Essential Classics CD with music from the two LPs worth of recordings made at those sessions. The contents of the 1989 CD & the one from 1996 overlap; how much I have yet to figure out. I didn't know they had to bring the organ in. Engineer Kolbe was based in Switzerland. The Wikipedia article on him is interesting.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    bluemooze likes this.
  22. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Ha! I think you are correct about it being an El Greco painting... at least, if I'm reading the German text correctly:
    "Titelseite: 'Maria Verkündigung' Gemälde von El Greco (1541-1613)"

You know, when I bought this album in 1976, I felt like I was the only person on the planet listening to Monteverdi. I never could have imagined that 42 years later (assuming I would still be living), I'd be communicating with people from San Jose, California, and London, UK, about it as I have today.
    When I bought my first home computer, my father (rest his soul) said: "What in the world would anyone want a computer at home for?" Of course, that was before the internet. I wish he could have lived to see the communication exchange that is possible today.

julesd68, crispi and vanhooserd like this.
  23. bigstar87

bigstar87 Forum Resident

From the Bernstein Remastered box set:
    [​IMG]
    Not my favorite performance of this piece but unique and in very good remastered sound (from the original master tapes)

24. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Wilhelm Backhaus, 1907. Reminds me of Barry Melton, lead guitarist of Country Joe & The Fish.

25. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

If I'm not mistaken, there were three LPs issued from that San Marco recording project. In addition to the one I posted earlier, I also bought this album in 1977:

[​IMG]

And in 1978, I bought the one below:

[​IMG]

Regarding the organ, the liner notes provide this info:
    "The organ used in this recording was lent by the Rieger Company of Austria. It consists of ten stops, voiced in the Italian manner, distributed over two manuals and pedals.
    It was transported by land and water to Venice especially for the recording, and hauled up, piece by piece, to the gallery where the organ stood in Gabrieli's day."

They have my sincere admiration. Who today would go to all that trouble??