Nilsson's PussyCats album *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Greg Smith, Jan 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Good to see this album is getting a vinyl reissue for RSD in April. But it looks quite limited - no UK or Canada listing. Hopefully it will find its way onto the general market later. It's not Nilsson's best album by any means but it's an important historical time piece, the results of Nilsson's somewhat chaotic recording sessions with John Lennon in LA during the 'Lost Weekend'.

2. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

There is a wistful melancholy on ***** Cats that is unique in Nilsson's catalog. Lennon was still in a similar vein on Walls & Bridges. I see them both as a kind of double album that has a particular mood I really enjoy.

Harry's vocal chord disaster is really sad. But when I hear Old Forgotten Soldier, I don't want it any other way than how he delivered it.

3. Mt.Elga

Mt.Elga Forum Resident

Yes.. Wistful indeed...released in August 74....sounds so much like a late summer lp...Mucho Mungo reminds me of looking up at the sun blurred through multicolored dying leaves...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  4. Chippoh

Chippoh Senior Member

...Wow!...Now that was poetic...Nicely done!

Lewisboogie and Mt.Elga like this.
  5. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I would include Ringo's Goodnight Vienna LP for a 1974 wistful melancholy trilogy. At least two tracks with Lennon, two tracks with Harry, plus the definitive version of Harry's Easy For Me.

Mt.Elga, Lemon Curry and jmxw like this.
  6. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

During this period we came within a few hours and a missing left handed bass of a potential Lennon McCartney Starr and Harry??? session.

7. RoryMcBride

RoryMcBride Forum Resident

I love this record. It sounds so sad and desperate at times.

8. Skokiaan

Skokiaan Forum Resident

Keith Moon's assistant Dougal Butler wrote that Moon bought a new drum kit for these sessions. At the end of "Rock Around The Clock," which featured Moon, Ringo and Jim Keltner on drums, Moon smashed all three drum kits. It is not audible on the record.

9. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Didn't Harry supposedly re-do some of his vocals for the quad mix? I think I've heard the quad but don't remember noticing a huge difference on the vocals.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  10. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I don't know if he re-did any vocals, but there certainly are different vocals between the quad and the stereo.

Mt.Elga likes this.
  11. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

12. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

PussyCats is covered starting at an hour seventeen minutes in .....

13. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

My favorite Nilsson album ! Absolutely fabulous ! Great bonus tracks on the CD as well.

Guy Smiley and Shawn like this.
  14. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Nilsson is one of my favorite singers, and has been for over 20 years. Love everything from "Pandemonium Shadow Show" up to "Nilsson Schmilsson", and the next 2 are not bad either. Having said that, "Pussycats" is one of the most painful albums I can remember listening to. All that throat-ripping is extremely difficult to listen to, you're basically hearing him self destruct on record. I have never heard anything like this before. Usually, when a singer is drugged or drunk, they can still perform reasonably well (otherwise, there wouldn't be much music from the 70's left I'd imagine).
    I just can't listen to it. Could barely make it to the end of "Many Rivers to Cross". I Will stick with his earlier albums, almost all of which are my favorite albums

15. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

I tried tonight to listen to the original pressing of this album. For maybe the third or fourth time since I paid a nice premium price for a sealed original.

I hate it, other than the first track this is very very very much a throwaway album.

I like everything Nilsson did up to this and I love Lennon's career, but this album is just a pure miss...

16. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Liked for both your post (Immature me always sings the next part as p**** p**** because that’s how it sounds) and your avatar.

We reach!

PhoffiFozz and petem1966 like this.
  17. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

I love Harry’s “Subterranean Homesick Blues” too.

18. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

It’s one of those Dark Night Of The Soul Albums in the same company as Neil Young’s TONIGHT’S THE NIGHT, Big Star’s THIRD, Leonard Cohen’s SONGS OF LOVE AND HATE and Nick Drake’s PINK MOON.

Harry’s is just disguised as a drunken party in the studio.

19. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I love this album because it doesn't take itself too seriously. The darker tunes are balanced perfectly by sillyness and boys just having fun with music.

Nilsson's throaty vocals never bothered me either. I think he sounds good. Just different. Tons of emotion in his voice. The grit helps that.

All the Nilsson originals are killer here, and sure the covers are hit-or-miss but "Many Rivers to Cross" makes up for the lot of them because it's a masterpiece.

Reader, DTK and Guy Smiley like this.
  20. Listened to this album via HDtracks purchase for the first time over a month ago and it's all 'Save The Last Dance' and 'Don't Forget Me", for me.

As a lifelong non-smoker surrounded by smokers, I'm glad there's 50 years and a couple continents between me and this recording studio.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  21. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

was gonna post the same thing, i think he recovered his voice by sandman....I think if you compare the schmillson voice and post pussycats voice its not that different

Tord likes this.
  22. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It's the only Nilson I own and have listened to. Love the raw vocals and the original songs and Rivers.

Mt.Elga and Guy Smiley like this.
  23. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Harry’s doing his best Lennon impression at the end of Many Rivers To Cross. Even the way he pronounces “I am” as “ I yam” and the POB “Mother”-like primal scream “losssst”.

24. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Just post the cover and we’re okay!

[​IMG]

Guy Smiley likes this.
  25. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

I adored Harry, from fairly early on, thanks largely to the Beatles promoting him, saying they dug his stuff...& a few radio hits in the 70s.. I think Pussycats is decent but suffers from drunkenness & his ripped damaged vocal chords..kind of sad...

But what I really wanna hear, if they exist are Lennon scratch vocals on Mucho Mungo & or Many Rivers to cross....Lennon demoed both after the Pussycats album....so maybe for whatever reason, he sang a pass or two....supposedly Lennon tried an earlier version of Mucho Mungo, with Spector, maybe during sessions for Here We Go Again, or that period. Possibly just a home demo...it's not clear.

Love Nilsson I dig Pussycats,, but by any measure it's a partial failure, he literally crippled his vocal chords..damaging them severely...permanently....Harry liked a drink..not sure if he ever took a hiatus to regain his health.

Guy Smiley likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.