Help me find the right Kinks compiliaton

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jason Manley, Jul 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Don’t expect any sonic marvels from this period Kinks, but the Kinks Anthology box set has adequate sound in my opinion.

sunking101 likes this.
  2. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Most Kinks kompilations sound thin/shrill, etc. ... 'cos the recordings are.

Ultimate Collection is my go-to for a 2-CD comp; Singles Collection for one disc.

3. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

I have this one...sounds like Pye to me (a bit thin on the bottom but otherwise okay). Not sure that Pye's studio was to blame though, considering all the Searchers and Pet Clark recordings done there that sound much better overall. Perhaps Shel Talmy needed to have his ears cleaned?

4. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I've been listening to Kinks comps on Spotify and although not the best way of telling you can hear whether one is brighter than the other etc. The Anthology sounds the best to me, followed by The Ultimate, and then the bass-light Singles bringing up the rear.

I already have the Village Green 3CD box and I'm not sure whether I should just bite the bullet and buy the other PYE deluxe boxes.:confused::shh:

bhazen likes this.
  5. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Anthology is what, 5 discs? That should be everything you need from a compilation standpoint; and if it sounds good too, well, I'll have to check it out myself.

6. jneilnyc

jneilnyc Free Range Responder

Kink Kronikles is peerless as an overview of classic late-6os Kinks, though the sound quality might not be up to cork-sniffer levels.
    That and a good single album collection of early hits might be the best bang for the buck.
    Anthology is a great fan set - no matter how many Kinks records you have already there's probably stuff on there you need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.