Anyone else see the new McIntosh TT? $2500

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by McGuy, May 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dylanjr9

Dylanjr9 Active Member

Really interested in the MP-100 & MC-275 combination. Im looking at the MP-100 and wondering how it would pair with the MC-275, any feedback or input is highly appreciated.

James Bennett likes this.
  2. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

I have a C47, MC 275,Mt-5 combo and love it :)

3. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Could buy a Clearaudio Concept for and have a nice chunk of change left over.

Of all turntable specifications, few are more important than S/N. Yet this figure is conspicuously absent in the specifications listing of all McIntosh turntables on the Mc site - either in specifications or owner's manual downloads. o_O

HiFi Guy likes this.
  4. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

McIntosh MT-2 Turntable announced officially today on Mcintosh's website. What a beauty. Definitely not going to be $2,500 USD. From the Absolute Sound:

'Suggested retail price (VAT, shipping and any customs duties related to current standards of individual countries are excluded): $4,000 USD'

McIntosh MT2 Precision Turntable

5. James Bennett

Photo please.

6. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

I’ve posted it a bunch of times. Just search my posts :)

If you will can’t find it, I’ll be glad to once I’m home.
    Thanks

7. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music

Sure is a beauty though & for someone entering vinyl or upgrading from something else & who own a McIntosh system or building one, it will have a nice appeal.

[​IMG]
    Best Sirs,

Bob

Wired4Fun, Lucca90 and beowulf like this.
  8. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

Hmmm... for that you could get a Performance DC with the magnetic bearing and huge platter and better tonearm. Pretty penny for the matching green lights.

Rolltide likes this.
  9. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

Yep! Buy a Thorens!!!!

10. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

Sorry Bob and others, looks like a cheap ISB TT to me, dare I say Crosley? Uh! I'll pass, you would think a company like McIntosh would reach a little deeper for a quality product, it's all about the money folks, Bech!!! :thumbsdow

11. James Bennett

Don't think most of the people that consider buying McIntosh gear do it because it's the absolute best bang for the buck.

vintage_tube, McGuy and Strat-Mangler like this.
  12. James Bennett

Disagree completely that it looks cheap.

beowulf likes this.
  13. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I think it's a pretty turntable but for $4500, I'd be looking elsewhere. I love McIntosh, I own a couple pieces but I'd never buy a Mac turntable (or speakers for that matter).

14. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

I think it looks really nice, and way better than the pervious model with the big meter that serves no purpose other than cosmetics and are totally unnecessary on a TT.

15. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

Mc has nothing under $3k. Not even their shirts. I wonder if this is a sign...

16. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time... Thread Starter

for $2500, the intial thought-of price, I might have considered it since my entire system is Mc. But for $4500, many better TTs out there - I bought a VPI Prime Scout for a steal at $1500 (brand new)

beowulf and 62caddy like this.
  17. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

As much as I admire and appreciate McIntosh products, there is no way I can justify near triple Clearaudio Concept money simply to have McIntosh nomenclature. Elimination of the illuminated platter is a major disappointment as well.

Otherwise, it is McIntosh's most attractive turntable to date, IMO.

18. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

If you must have a badged McIntosh turntable, this is one to consider. If you want more TT for your money, the similar ClearAudio or many others are available in that price range.

beowulf likes this.
  19. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

I have so many thoughts, and I can’t seem to write a coherent post...

I’ll try again later.

EDIT:

Bullet point thoughts:
    *I like everything about my MT5, better
    *My MT5 is also overpriced
    *No green glow... booooo!
    *Price feels about $1000 too high
    *No 78’s... don’t care. Don’t own any. Someone else might care a lot
    *Looks pretty, if not unremarkable
    *Glad I didn’t wait for this one
    *I think it will sell well
    *More a lifestyle product than an audiophile one
    *Who really cares what I think, lol
    *Feels almost like they made this to sell MORE MT5 units... once you’re in for $4k, a sales rep could easily upsell the features and benefits of another $2500 ;)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  20. I also think is cool looking. Not cheap looking at all.

chacha, beowulf and vintage_tube like this.
  21. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time... Thread Starter

Completely agree - if this is just a CA Concept rebadged, then get the CA. I almost got one but went VPI instead, no real reason actually...just liked it better

Wired4Fun likes this.
  22. vintage_tube

I bet McIntosh hierarchy would love to slap the guy who came up with the $2,500 number in the first place. I'm quite sure it was no one in HQ.

BTW, where did $4.5K come from? Just for the record (no pun intended), it's $4K retail. Just thought I'd mention it -- just so by the time it reached page 3 on this thread, it wouldn't be $4,750.

Best Sirs,

Bob

beowulf likes this.
  23. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Does anybody know for sure if CA makes this one as well? From the pictures the build quality seems to be up to the typical excellent Mac standards and I think it looks pretty cool as well.

I was imagining that this would be a nice piece to bring people (younger and or some new blood) into the Mac family, but at $4000 I think it's a bit of an overshoot on the price and definitely not an entry level point to where a lot of new hobbyists would be comfortable spending IMO. Not to mention there's a lot of competition in that price category and I would think (unless they are just completely enamored with the brand) that anyone dropping 4K on a table would really be researching a lot of decks in that price range.

62caddy and vintage_tube like this.
  24. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

THIS^ McIntosh is clearly trying to bring in new blood with more reasonably priced high-end gear (the new amps they have released at $4k and under, the lifestyle sized products, this turntable, etc) but I agree wholeheartedly it misses the mark with respect to pricing. $2500 would have NAILED it. Not sure they could MAKE something like this (within their business model) for $2500, but if they did... WHOA NELLY it would sell like hotcakes. Proof was here... EVERYONE was excited at $2500 rumored price. Almost no one is at $4,000 actual price.

25. vintage_tube

All McIntosh tables are built by Clear Audio and they are based on a similar CA table but not 100% identical of course. When I bought my MT10 back in 2008, I spoke with the folks at Erlangen, Germany many times because in the xerox'd manual the major details I was interested in were missing -- mass, length, etc. During those conversations, they mentioned the McIntosh table is similar to CA table but not one specific model. For instance, the MT10 was equipped with the rebadged Talisman cartridge (McIntosh listed it as a MCC10 ). In regards to the cartridge, I recall them saying of 100 Talismans bench tested, McIntosh received the top 10%.

The relationship McIntosh has with CA is a close one and besides pricing differences or design costs/changes of CA tables, both companies have mutually benefitted beyond their expectations.

Lastly, Ron Cornelius mentioned a long time ago "Clear Audio does make a table with similar performance to the MT10 which of course is in the same price range. Turntable design is all about materials used and distributing resonances so the construction of the table does not reinforce specific resonant frequencies. The construction of the MT10 is very good in this respect and much care was taken in materials used and dampening of the same. When you play a record the goal is to pick up the music vibrations from the LP grove not the turntable vibrating."

Best Sirs,

Bob

sorcerer781 and beowulf like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.