“Sopranos” prequel movie “The Many Saints of Newark”*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Mar 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

3. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

In my mind the acting and writing of the Sopranos eclipsed all other TV shows ever. I would expect a quality script and cast w Chase doing it. But it is not going to match the Sopranos of the first 5 years. Just my opinion.

4. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I just finished reading about this and my 1st most obvious thought, how do you do anything based on the Sopranos without Gandolfini? His presence will loom over this production and I truly doubt they'll find anyone to fill that void. That said, me & the rest of the world will most definitely be watching, fact is, I can't wait!;)

5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

David Chase?

6. AKA

I think it could be great. The series mentioned and flashed back to Tony’s childhood a lot, and this segments were always interesting. It would be neat to see a movie focused on Johnny Boy Soprano and Uncle Junior.

7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

This period was my favorite, since I love seeing period pieces from my own childhood. My son recently sent me this You Tube video where a fan combined these scenes :

NSFW for language.

AKA and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  8. Myke

How is it obvious in a prequel ? We didn't have a miniature Gandolfini in the clips above. :doh:

keef00 likes this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

will be a nice addition to my BD complete series box...I'm excited!

10. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

not a fan of prequels (hate knowing where its gonna end up before it starts) but ill give it a shot if chase is involved

Myke likes this.
  11. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

And some prequels better the original. “Better Call Saul” is what I’m thinking.

12. Myke

Bates Motel another.

13. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

While I absolutely love Better Call Saul, I don't think it betters Breaking Bad. At least not yet. We'll have to see how it ends up. At this point, I think it approaches BB, but I wouldn't give it the edge.
    You think Bates Motel bettered Psycho? I think Psycho is pretty much a perfect film, so I would disagree.

I did really enjoy Bates Motel, but there was some fluff with it as well. It's also pretty hard to compare a < 2 hour film to a series lasting over 35 hours.

More on topic, I'll definitely watch a Sopranos prequel!! If it's half as good as the original, it'll be worth watching.

14. Michael

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Most likely we'll be seeing "Young Tony Soprano" and "Young Uncle Junior" in the new production played by 1960s-period actors.

enro99 likes this.
  16. Michael

who do you see playing those parts?

17. AKA

Tony’s birth year is given in the show as 1959, so he’ll probably be played by a child actor. I’m guessing the main characters of the movie will be Johnny Boy (Tony’s father) and Uncle Junior.

18. Michael

really looking forward to this...

AKA likes this.
  19. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

It's only going to be a 2 hour movie, and the story centers on the Newark riots of 1967. I'm guessing Johnny Soprano and Uncle Jun will be featured, and Livia of course, but not much of the remaining characters...maybe Herman.

20. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Would rather have a tv series on HBO then a movie. Also I keep thinking of this sketch from SNL.

21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Yeah ..season three of BCS was the best yet, but comparing it to BB is like comparing a starter to the main course meal. But, loads of people just love Jimmy McGill/Saul Goodman's endearing character, just not as iconic as Walter White imo.

unclefred and AndrewS like this.
  22. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

They should just get the three actors who played Johnny Boy, the younger Uncle Jun, and the lady who played the younger Livia. They were great. As was the young Janice.

progrocker, Ethan B and enro99 like this.
  23. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I hope this proves a worthy film, but the flashbacks of T's childhood were some of the weakest parts of Sopranos, serving only to provide more depth, character dev and understanding for Tony's present actions and feelings. The charisma that Gandolfini brought to the role took some time to develop, and I don't see anyone else providing a fraction of that, even if we're talking about a 3-hour movie. HBO tried to make Entourage into a movie and it sucked. I am not holding out much hope for this. Chase has proven himself as a TV show creator, but none of his films resonate with me.

24. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident

Just started rewatching the Sopranos last week. I have reached peak Tony Soprano. I have found myself pointing my fingers like paulie, eating a lot of gabagool and prosciutt, and frequently smoking Churchill cigars.

DHamilton, Ghostworld and enro99 like this.
  25. Reamonnt

Reamonnt Mr.T

It will be interesting to see how this develops. It could be super especially with David Chase onboard. Will Feech La Mano make an appearance but it would take some great acting to get near the legend that was Robert Loggia RIP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.