Michael Schenker in San Jose-r u going? and San Jose Civic questions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by head_unit, Feb 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

Michael Schenker Fest
    Date Sat 3/24 @ 8pm
    Venue City National Civic, San Jose, CA

I am strongly thinking of flying up for this as a birthday present to my brother.
    - Anyone else here going?
    - Is lower or upper balcony better? (NOT going to stand on the main floor forever)
    - Any recommendations for parking (cheap, and easy escape, we don't mind walking some)
    - Food recommendations?

Thanks!

2. head_unit

Bump-nobody doing this one?

3. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Just a generic venue. Not unsimilar to any stadium in LA. No real better seats. Bottom is closer. But it's a big stadium. I sat on top for the Scorps a few years ago saw just fine. The Sharks play there, has that feel too. Just a stadium. San Jose is just like LA. Lots of fast food. Parking is right accross the street. He's coming to Anehiem too.

4. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

You are referring to the HP or SAP Pavilion. San Jose Civic Auditorium is a much smaller and older, but now restored, venue.

5. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

What kind of food do you like? Depending on how far you want walk and the weather, and what else is going on in the downtown area, you should be able to find something on a residential street. There's also our not much used light rail system that steams directly by the front the place. Try to find some reviews of events recently held there.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  6. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

I saw the Kinks, Nixon and the GD there in the late 60s/ early 70s. Am pretty sure the Stones played there is the mid 60s.

7. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

You'll fly almost directly over the place and a fair amount of downtown San Jose, coming into SJC, plus Streetlight Records and Rasputin Music are pretty decent stores.

geo50000 likes this.
  8. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Sorry, my San Joseness is loose. Streetlight? Didn't know anymore were left. That's cool. Rasputins is great.

9. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

I saw CSN there a few years ago. My memories are too vague to be of much help to you. Fairly small as I recall. I was pleased with our balcony seats. Don't remember any parking difficulties.

10. head_unit

Depends on my mood! Open to any suggestions.
    How about getting from San Jose airport to the Transportation Center (for the ACE train)? Do you know if there's a bus?

11. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

To where? Diridon Station is connected by the VTA light rail, which also runs near, but doesn't connect to the airport. There are buses.

12. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

There's a shuttle from the airport to light rail on First St.

13. crustycurmudgeon

If you like greasy pizza, Kukar's House Of Pizza is a favorite of mine, and close by.

14. head_unit

I gotta say when you put it like that, you're not selling me on the concept :drool:

15. head_unit

Flying in to SJC, then want to take the ACE train up to Livermore. When I did it once previously, I ended up waiting at some "station" which had ZERO facilities at all, not even a toilet nor maybe even rain shelter. I want to avoid that and get the ACE from the San Jose station, whatever that's called.

16. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

BART may now run to Livermore...

17. head_unit

BART doesn't yet get to Livermore. :shake: Some folks in Livermore were having some NIMBY moments and not wanting BART to reach downtown. I might understand the NIMBY thing, don't know all the details, but the thing is ACE reaches downtown and I just HATE HATE HATE when things don't connect, like how LA's light rail doesn't *quite* reach the airport (you have to take a bus like the ancient annoying bus from Oakland Airport to the Coliseum BART stop, thank goodness now connected by rail).

18. crustycurmudgeon

Ok, maybe not the best mental image. They use a lot of cheese, which makes for an oilier pizza than average. Not a good choice if you're counting calories.

19. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Indeed - a free shuttle. Then catch the Light Rail to downtown.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.