Finally! Iron Maiden BLACK VINYL reissues coming in September... (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Dec 13, 2014.

1. HankM

HankM Senior Member

I have the remaster of Piece Of Mind and the sound is a little louder in the right channel. Report back on if it is corrected. I remember reading a ways back when it was released about the balance more in the right channel but never really read about repressing that correct it. Its a great sounding pressing otherwise.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  2. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Yes! The X-Factor reissue sounds fantastic. I would love if it led people to reconsider the album.

Vinyl Fan 1973, DoF and Neonbeam like this.
  3. CBackley

Do you have a US or UK/EU pressing?

4. HankM

HankM Senior Member

^^^^^ US Pressing

CBackley likes this.
  5. CBackley

Weird. I’ll have to listen to mine again closely...once I get my turntable fixed.

6. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Guys I just had to share this with you all. I just picked this up tonight. It’s the first UK numbered edition of Eddie’s Archive!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

scottp, Goldy, DoF and 2 others like this.
  7. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Nice score. That looks badass!!!!

DoF and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  8. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Hey guys what Maiden are you spinning today? Here:

Iron Maiden ‎– Aces High
    Label: Parlophone ‎– 2564624867, Parlophone ‎– 5502
    Format: 7", 45 RPM, Single, Reissue
    Released: 27 Oct 2014

King Of Twilight is sweet :)

UP THE IRONS!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  9. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Iron Maiden ‎– Dance Of Death
    Label: Parlophone ‎– 0190295851965
    Format: 2 × Vinyl, Reissue, Remastered
    Released: 23 Jun 2017
    Lacquer cut by Chris Bellman

[​IMG]

10. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Listened to Side of 1 Brave New World on headphones. I kept hearing a slight static in the far right channel. Could be my cleaning method (Spin Clean-->DIY vacuum clean). But not distracting. Overall sounds good. Shirley's mix is very dense and narrow (to my ears, anyway); the 3 guitars + bass are competing with each other but the drums and Bruce sit nicely in the stereo field, I think. Can't wait to listen more.

DoF likes this.
  11. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Age Of Innocence off DOD is great :)

Man at C&A and Spirit Crusher like this.
  12. Spirit Crusher

Just a side note, do any of clean new records? I gave Wickerman a quick listen right out of the box and it seemed fine. I've always cleaned new records, with very rare exceptions, if only to help de-static. Then pop it fresh and clean into a MOFI sleeve. These Maiden thick cardstock sleeves are cool, but very tight fit if you want to use your own inner.

13. DoF

DoF Less is more...

I clean them with Okki-Nokki machine and solution of theirs. I used solution based on an alcohol and did not wipe it properly, causing some vinyl - inner sleeve (MOFI) reaction. I clean them to take the static and the gunk off.

14. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

ScaleTheInferno and DoF like this.
  15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  16. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Iron Maiden ‎– Running Free
    Label: Parlophone ‎– 2564625243, Parlophone ‎– 5032
    Format: 7", 45 RPM, Single, Reissue
    Released: Oct 2014

[​IMG]

17. ScaleTheInferno

ScaleTheInferno Forum Resident

I clean new records in batches of a dozen or so, and yeah then bung it into a poly sleeve. I use a Knosti with a DIY mixture, which is a bit of hassle to set up for only a couple of records. I usually find it does make a difference to surface noise. I use tumble dryer sheets to wipe over the vinyl if it has static issues.

Spirit Crusher and DoF like this.
  18. ScaleTheInferno

ScaleTheInferno Forum Resident

I've just received the UK Parlophone reissue of The Final Frontier (cut by Chris Bellman). I based my purchase off the back of youtube rip which sounds a bit clearer than the original and HD tracks version (rip quality was a bit questionable but hey ho, it's youtube).

Having put this under the microscope on my system I feel the mastering is of the same standard as Dance of Death, perhaps slightly higher. Better clarity, soundstage and dynamics. These Maiden remasterings are all very consistent in their sonic characteristics, compressed bloat is reduced, cymbals have plenty of ting, snare has more snap, vocals have extra rasp and guitars open up rather than float under the surface.

The packaging and artwork on this reissue is fantastic, the inside gatefold contains some cool sketches, and has printed sleeves with lyrics.

19. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Iron Maiden ‎– The Book Of Souls
    Label: Parlophone ‎– 0825646089208
    Format: 3 × Vinyl, Limited Edition, Gatefold
    Released: 04 Sep 2015
    Lacquer cut by Chris Bellman

[​IMG]

20. Spirit Crusher

@DoF , your photos here have inspired me to get more the of 7" singles. On Amazon, at least, a few are getting up there in price and low in stock. I stopped at the 7th Son singles; in all honesty, aside from some early B-sides, I'm mainly interested in the art. When I was a kid in the 80s, a fellow Maiden fan's older brother had some import singles and of course I drooled over the Derek Riggs art. Nostalgia is a powerful affliction..

Grow Fins and DoF like this.
  21. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Great! Get'em while they're affordable :) I like them a lot.

Spirit Crusher likes this.
  22. Spirit Crusher

A couple were $20, and one is temp out of stock; hopefully truly temporary!

I'm finishing up the new Dance of Death LP. At the beginning, I wasn't terribly impressed. The first songs still have the compressed sound that I've always hated: vocals cut out, and a wall of guitars suddenly comes up to fill in the sound. Makes me think that compression is built into the mixes. But by the title track I was captivated. Just now I've gone through sides 3-4. I will never listen to the CD again. This has confirmed what I've always felt, which is that this album is an unsung masterpiece. I feel this Bellman-cut LP really does it justice.

23. DoF

DoF Less is more...

I like CB's works very much.

24. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

I didn't think much of DoD when it first came out but am loving the new LP. This is actually a great album although I still don't like Journeyman.

25. Purple

Purple Forum Resident