Best hardware acquisition of 2017

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Davey, Dec 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy71

Jimmy71 New Member

I think that was the problem Thank you

2. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

[​IMG]

I'm amazed how big an improvement this little baby has made on my main system. I've upgraded to the McIntosh C50 from a McIntosh C15 (which is also a big upgrade to the Rotel RC-1070 I had in that system). The C50 makes everything sound so much clearer and richer, more nuanced, and more three dimensional. It's a wonderful preamp (and looks really cool).

3. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Mofi Studio Phono for me. This thing punches way above its weight and price point. :righton:

4. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Technics SL-1200G turntable. It has definitely upped the performance level of the analog portion of my system.

TheSeldomSeenKid and bluemooze like this.
  5. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I had been meaning to add to this thread near the end of December, so since it is still active despite being 2/3 into January, figure I would provide my purchases. Nothing high priced as just started to build my first System and bought a Used Oppo 105D in Excellent Condition(apparently the Disc Drive was hardly used) for a little over $700.

Also with advice from a Forum Member, who is a Music Engineer, recommended the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 Speakers to fit my budget that are $378 a Pair and mostly 5 Star Reviews on Amazon-US & UK(I was considering a few other Speakers, KEF 150 & 350 and Dali Zensor 3 that would have cost a little more, and maybe look at them in the future, should I be seeking a different sound than what the MA Bronze 2 Speakers will provide me). Also with his advice on good low cost Speaker Cables, I bought the QED Performance XTC for $90.

I bought a Yamaha AV Receiver/Amp that was a lower model, as wanted Surround Sound to play my 5.1 Discs, but without having 2 Rear Speakers and a Center Speaker yet, would not be able to get the Surround Sound anyways, and after much consideration and great reviews by a few Stereo Audio Websites and People, who own it, I decided that in a few weeks, I will be buying the Outlaw 2160 Receiver/Amp, so will need to put that in the 2018 Components Thread. After I add Rear & Center Speakers in the future, I can just buy a low cost AV Surround Sound Receiver/Amp to play my 5.1 SACDs, DVD-As & BluRay Audio Discs(own about 25-30 5.1 Discs) in the next 2 years.

Hope to get a TT later this year, but buying the Oppo 105D(which I was going to buy at a later year, but the deal was too good to pass up), took the $700 that I had targeted for a TT(wanting a Direct Drive TT, I was planning to get the Pioneer PLX-1000, as much as I would love to get the Technics SL1200GR, at $1,700-$1,800, it is out of my price range). After reading the thread that some older Quality TT's have an Automatic Arm Return(was not aware of those), I might consider that option, but kind of hoping with more interest in Vinyl in recent years, that a New Model Direct Drive TT with an Automatic Arm Return is in the plans by Pioneer, Technics or other reputable company, as would prefer a New TT option to a Used TT option, but have not seen any plans for one to be put out beyond a few low priced models around $350 that are available.

Getting hit with major Dentists Bills(even with Dental Insurance last year) the past 4 months and in the next 3 months with a few Root Canals, Post & Core & Crowns and a few other procedures, so maybe I should have waited another 6 months to start to build my System, but after 2 years on here as a member, was stoked to get a decent start up system(actually my dentist can build $6,000 System for himself based on what I will be paying him).

DPM and Kyhl like this.
  6. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Upgraded my Bifrost to multibit and added the (Schiit) Sys for switching.
    Added Amazon music unlimited and couple of Echos.

Good stuff.

7. wareagle69

wareagle69 Forum Resident

My Christmas present to myself was the Cambridge CXN network player. Using this in a headphone setup and am very happy with the performance of this unit.

8. DannyC

DannyC Forum Resident

A little Yamaha WXC-50 which I just added to the study Linn LK setup for streaming from the NAS. Dont use the Pre part of it but quite suprised how good the DAC sounds - I already had a Audiolab M DAC performing dac duties but this little thing sounds even airier (possibly down to the cd transport being less capable than streaming from the nas)- next step is to run the MDAC out of the Yamaha once I have ripped all the collection.

9. David Cope

David Cope Forum Resident

I’m right there with Bananas&Blow:
    I lost my mind in ‘17.

What began as completion of a retirement system with a PTP Audio Solid 12+9 table, Thomas Schick 12” arm, Midas/Denon 103 and Auditorium 23 step-up led to borrowing a pair of Auditorium 23 Hommage 755 speaker’s which led to borrowing a Shindo Aurieges pre and Montille CV391.

I suddenly felt like I needed to share this sound, so I decided to expand my project recording studio to encompass retail audio as well. The floodgates were now well and truly opened. In came the A23 Hommage Cinema and Hommage a Ken, Shindo Monbrison pre and Cortese F2A amp, Leben CS600 integrated, DeVore O93 and O96, Falcon LS3/5a, JCVerdier La Platine and La Platine Nouvelle, EMT 997 arm(s), TSD75 and JSD6, A23 standard and Hommage T2 SUTs, Sugden A21SE, Rethm Bhaava, AcousticPlan CD transport and DAC, Innuos Zen Mini and Zenith music servers...

My desert island combo would be Verdier La Platine/997/JSD6/T2, Monbrison, Cortese F2A, Hommage Cinema.

If my bank mgr started appearing in nightmares, the Leben CS600 and 093, Zenith and Acoustic Plan DAC.

What would I yield with the greatest reluctance? The Monbrison/Cortese pair. I do think of them as a matched set, so that’s the ‘1’ best acquisition in ‘17.

Bananas&blow, Rolltide, Cliff and 2 others like this.
  10. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

incredible system, congrats. would love to see some pictures.

11. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I bought a used Oppo 105D primarily for video and SACD. However, I'm so impressed with the audio performance that I'm thinking of using it for all digital formats. I wouldn't say it's better than my CA 840CDP/DAC but it's every bit as good. I can always use the CA for my second system.

TheSeldomSeenKid, PhilBiker and DPM like this.
  12. rbmitch2

rbmitch2 Forum Resident

Got this one added to my system just before the end of the year. Sonic Euphoria fully balanced autoformer preamp. Sounds awesome with my Hypex Ncore amp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bananas&blow, DPM and Dennis0675 like this.
  13. Jamiroquai

Jamiroquai Forum Resident

I've been enjoying the $#!+ out of my Sony NW-WM1A Walkman. Awesome little player that's built like a tank.

14. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I have to agree. If the VR 1000 had been my first cartridge, it probably would have been my last.

PhilBiker likes this.
  15. David Cope

David Cope Forum Resident

I’d be happy to. I just need to figure out how to link to photos amp n my web site or FB page. I could share the site and page links, but that seems painfully close to commercial promotion, so . . .

Dennis0675 likes this.
  16. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Gosh. You won the Tone Imports lottery. Very nice!

Bananas&blow likes this.
  17. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

I got an almost brand new pair of Monitor Audio Silver 8 at an excellent price...great sound and beautiful speakers.

TheSeldomSeenKid and drum_cas like this.
  18. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Been curious about these for a while; can it stream from a network attached storage using Plex or DLNA?

19. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

you can add another hard drive that has the files installed through the HAP interface and use an external DAC if you wish. But the unit has no input connections and all files must be played through the HAP media manager.
    sound is high end awesome though and worth the price of admission IMHO.

Madness likes this.
  20. drum_cas

drum_cas Forum Resident

2017 was when audio went really 5.0 for me with the purchase of the Oppo 203. Man, it's so awesome! Music never sounded so tight! So now I'm really digging SACD and audio bluray but even my CD's sound so much better.
    Now I think 2018 is the year a subwoofer will be brought into the mix......

Bubbamike likes this.
  21. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Is the 2018 thread up yet? Cause I can now post exactly this. EXACTLY. :goodie:
    Literally just got this unit home and breaking it in with some American Beauty SACD, mono Rubber Soul and Bobby Osborne. Thanks for the heads up @Dennis0675 . Cheers! :cheers:

billnunan and Dennis0675 like this.
  22. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Best hardware pickup of 2018....VPI 16.5 RCM!!!!!!!

My first RCM. Have been buying/collecting records for 30 years. Have owned this for exactly one day and I am wondering how did I ever live without this???????

mreeter, HiFi Guy, Kyhl and 1 other person like this.
  23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

It really is an amazing bit of equipment. I'd take the time to take it out of the case and dial in the bias and balance using the internal meter. It should make the tubes last longer and possibly sound better.

24. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

1st, Musical Fidelity V90 LPS phono stage. My first and still only dedicated phono stage.
    2nd, Sennheiser HD650, My first and still only good headphones.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  25. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I didn't get anything nice in 2017.

Madlove and Bhob like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.