Best hardware acquisition of 2017

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Davey, Dec 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Last year, my MoFi Ultradeck/Ultratracker

This year, my Sutherland Insight

2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Time for the OP to start a new thread...

Best hardware acquisition of 2018

3. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

My only question is how you even become aware of these brands and where do you get to demo them?

4. Davey

Davey NP: CLARAGUILAR ~ Figura (2024) Thread Starter

Well, I did get a new subwoofer this year, but kind of early to name a best of the year acquisition in March, isn't it? Though we do have a rolling best new album of 2018 thread on the music side that's a lot of fun... and pretty costly too ... :)

JNTEX, PhilBiker and SandAndGlass like this.
  5. gregr

gregr Forum Resident

I've owned an Antique Sound Lab MG HeadDT forever, and it's connected to a pair of Sennheiser HD 600s. I picked up a 5751 Raytheon blackplate w/windmill getter for the ASL and just...wow. I'm good for another 15 years. I'll just keep rolling JJ EL84s and hope the Raytheon lives on.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    Ham Sandwich likes this.
  6. David Cope

David Cope Forum Resident

Largely by reading reviews and discussions, although exhibiting at shows in North America and Europe for well over a decade certainly helped.

7. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

This pic covers my 2017/2018 winners:
    • Marantz 2230: Unbelievable how good this vintage receiver sounds. Got a sweet deal because it had a small dent on the back that the seller repaired so well I can't see where it ever was damaged. The 70's rule!
    • Elekit TU-8600 with all the upgrades (Lundahl custom transformers/Takman resistors/Mundorf Silver Gold Oils/Gold Lion tubes) from Victor Kung: This Japanese kit is sold on a few sites, but Victor is THE MAN for Elekit. Unbelievable product support. This wasn't cheap, but you'll have to spend a lot more on a production 300B SET to beat it.
    • Audio Note Speaker Kit-04: Was about to pull trigger on the Kit-03 when I came across the Kit-04 with the AlNiCo drivers and crossovers at 50% of retail. Then decided to go full DIY and build the cabinets myself (with the help of a skilled carpenter). Those basic looking square cabinets were way more complicated than they look - but we somehow pulled it off! These likely cost me more than I could sell my trusty 2002 Subaru Outback for, and I still feel I'm ahead of the game - hard to do a direct comparison, but you'd probably have to spend A LOT MORE to get a production pair of AlNiCo's from the Audio Note factory. Yeah, yeah, I know that the production one's are supposedly matched to 0.2 db and these are 0.6 db and a Druid from the Sherwood Forest tweaks the factory models, but they sure sound AMAZING in my humble system.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  8. Carraway

Carraway Well-Known Member

These are modest compared to many systems, but for 2017 Ascend Sierra-1 speakers. The Bryston 2B-LP amp is close, and they work together well.

For 2018 the only acquisition thus far is a Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge, and I'm liking it.

Future considerations are a preamplifier, DAC, dedicated audio computer or NAS (still researching), and a turntable. Also a digital piano like a Roland FP-90 or Kawai ES8.

Helom likes this.
  9. ChrisAZ

ChrisAZ Well-Known Member

Actually 2018. Tie between Clearaudio Universal tonearm and PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP Integrated. The first brought precision and transparency, the second brought musicality.

Sugar Man and Echoes Myron like this.
  10. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Nice! Bet it sounds as good as it looks.

Sugar Man likes this.
  11. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

Gong from an Audio Research VSi60 integrated amp to Modwright SWL 9 Anniversary pre amp (just replaced with an ARC LS27)/ARC VS115 amp combo. Considering going up to the ARC Ref 75 amp.

12. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Purchased an original Phonitor Headphone amp to run the new Beyerdynamic T1 Gen 2 headphones. They sound great together.

13. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

The "new" Rega Neo psu......RP6 runs at 33.3 with (to date) unfailing accuracy.....no more swapping belts unless needed:)

Echoes Myron likes this.
  14. Miha Podlogar

Miha Podlogar Well-Known Member

Arcam A29 integrated amplifier - great sound !!

15. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

Upgraded from a Traveler after a couple of years, and Wow! Financially, not sure there will be any new acquisitions this year though.:)
    [​IMG]

Tullman, Dennis0675, Hglaser and 5 others like this.
  16. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member

My friend just picked up one of these. Fantastic!!

Guss2 likes this.
  17. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to!

"I didn't get anything nice in 2017"

Dude, you need a turntable... Every desktop rig should feature one. You put it right where you used to put whatever you were working on...

Helom and Dennis0675 like this.
  18. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Recently purchased a Cowon P1 and loaded up over 550 gigs of Lossless and HiRez Music.
    Best music equipment purchase I've made in years.
    My very expensive SACD player now sits idle. Soundwise I prefer the Cowon hooked in to my Aux Input of my Preamp and Amp.
    Also works equally well in the car with Aux input.
    I'm very happy. Costs - $399.00 for Cowon P1 and $239.00 for 400 gig micro sd

19. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Is it too late for 2017? I made a large change in the fall. I finally added an analog front end to my digital only setup (20 years or so)

I opted for Clearaudio Concept Wood, Hana SL and Phonomena II package professionally calibrated as a starting point. Along with lots of vinyl. It’s been very enjoyable. I told myself for 10 years that when I turned 40 I was going to treat myself to new speakers (mine are from 1999) but alas it was a step into the world of vinyl.
    Maybe new speakers at 45. That gives me 4 years to save up. I want me some Sonus Faber. I’m vain and they are gorgeous.

displayname likes this.
  20. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Quad 9as actives.

21. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

A pre-owned Oppo BDP 95. Amazing sonics for $600. :goodie:

Bubbamike likes this.
  22. Garthb

Garthb Forum Resident

Heritage Klipsch Cornwalls ($520), Heritage Klipsch La Scalas ($1,300 plus 1 way airfare and rental car and 1000 mile journey home!)

billnunan, Sugar Man and Seafinch like this.
  23. Davey

Davey NP: CLARAGUILAR ~ Figura (2024) Thread Starter

Yikes, that's some heavy duty shipping costs!

24. Garthb

Garthb Forum Resident

worth it!

25. Mad shadows

Mad shadows Forum Resident

I purchased two item during 2017 - a Fidelity Research FR 64 tonearm and a SPU Classic GM E mkII.
    Im very happy whit both. The fidelity research is the best tonearm I have experienced so far and the SPU is superbly musical.
    The only drawback is that the SPU needs a lot of hours of playing before it starts to sound good (50-100 hours).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.