Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. jphabc54

jphabc54 Forum Resident

And another one sold..to me..

Stu02 and recstar24 like this.
  2. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I was having a similar conversation with my barber today regarding the slick sound/feel of modern music and how the use of Pro-Tools has (imo) ruined the "product" of recording today. It's one thing to fix a few notes out of a song but when one frets over every second of a recording and uses things like auto-tune to correct entire songs or albums it ruins the feel of the music imho.

Stu02, peter1 and Doggiedogma like this.
  3. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Yes, but the "live" studio recordings were often done in multiple takes, so the true spontaneity is watered down/filtered. The live concerts are where the real magic happens.

jay.dee likes this.
  4. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

CD Japan recently re-released a whole bunch.

5. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Jazz?

6. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I have the Mercury box.

7. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

[​IMG]
    Perhaps jazz by association more than anything, but stunning.

8. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Inflated Tear is my favourite Kirk album so I recommend it and I also love the limelight and verve era. If you cant spring for the Mosaic set pick up the individual ones. I talk with the spirits and Rip Rig And Panic are great.
    I also love the mid 70s opus Bright Moments.
    All these records offer very different Kirk.
    The man was constantly on the move.

Crispy Rob, Six String and Electric like this.
  9. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

WP
    [​IMG]
    Lovely Chico Hamilton from 58 or 59. It’s wonderful hearing Dukes Music pared down and filtered through a late west coast sound and sensibility. You can hear the essence of the great melodys more crisply... Hear is the band though there is a earlier session with a different band in which Dolphy played clarinet which I have not heard. Here is the band on my record above .... pour Jim already pretty much Bald at 28...
    [​IMG]

rxcory, alankin1, Carraway and 6 others like this.
  10. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

NP
    This somewhat pretentiously themed Shorter record I am struggling to move from the like column into the really really like column without much luck tonight.
    [​IMG]
    I am a big Shorter fan and what’s not to like about his blue note years so I guess it’s just this particular batch of songs I’ve Just not yet cracked open fully.

11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

This thread ventures into many topics. Check out pages 1 through 831. Some other threads on the forum are heavily regulated. Not this one. That is good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Damn it , I knew once I started talking bout Kirk I wouldn’t be able to avoid playing him.
    It’s all your fault Jim ..
    I Talk With The Spirits...
    From the box
    [​IMG]
    Edit: how can you not fall in love with this guy who titles one of his songs Fugue’n And Alludin’ ... I thing he’s be fun at a party.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  13. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

IMO studio jazz is great and all but live performance is where the genre really comes into its own:righton:

Doggiedogma likes this.
  14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

This is an open-ended discussion group here, see the first post!

bluemooze likes this.
  15. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Funny how - when listening to albums from the same decade - rock albums sound more dated than jazz albums to me.

I'm sure that back then a lot of rock n' rollers would classify jazz as old people's music.

Where I see a big difference is in drumming. Jazz drummers at the beginning of the 70s had an amazing array of beats and rhythms that weren't easy to find in other areas.

Yes, there are exceptions and there are amazing rock drummers.

Edit: This generic/dumb comment is not related to Jimmy's music. Which is one of those timeless sounds.
    Just bad timing.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  16. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I agree. Having immersed myself in jazz almost exclusively for the last eight months or so, I notice it every time I do decide on a change of pace and throw on an old Stones album or something- sound quality wise, the jazz from that era does sound better to me. More straightforward production techniques used in jazz, perhaps?

Doggiedogma and Yesternow like this.
  17. Lonson

I don't know. . . . Plenty of jazz can sound "dated" to me as well, for example quite a few CTI and Kudu and some Atlantic Records releases, and some 'eighties jazz. Even some very mainstream 'sixties releases. That said I've learned to like them. . . but the production choices, arranging styles, and instrument choices do date them.

What dates "rock" for me more than anything is vocal and lyric styles.

18. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Sorry 'bout that... I seem to have that affect on folks. lol

But I have some much appreciated recommendations; the RK box I do not have @Tribute... yet.

19. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I have similar feelings towards this one also. I do like it but as you say, it hasn't moved further in positive strokes and I've owned it for decades now. Like you, it's the only BN title I feel that way about. I think I'll give it a spin today and see if I can be more specific but I suspect like you it's the songs. Some of his music, particularly newer stuff is so dense and busy that I find it hard to enjoy. I much prefer hearing him perform live for that type of material. It's still just as dense but I find it easier to enjoy for some reason.

NP Charlie Haden & John Taylor - Night Fall (Naim)
    I really enjoy listening to Charlie on this one. His bass lines are really telling stories.

20. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

I agree, you can play jazz albums from a wide array of artists from the 50's and 60's and it does not sound dated at all compared to most rock. Jazz drummers are who most of the rock drummers are inspired by, bass players and piano as well. As Zappa said, "make a jazz noise here."

21. Lonson

This new release again.

Jimi Hendrix "Both Sides of the Sky"
    [​IMG]

rxcory and Starwanderer like this.
  22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

One factor that seems to "date" music, regardless of style, is whether the record producers were targeting the recordings at the current popular market (song selection, arrangement, etc). The more they did that, the less significant the music became as that pop marketplace shifted and changed. Prime examples include many of the recordings of great singers made in the late 1940's to mid 50's. Poor material and poor arrangements, though popular at the time, are largely ignored today, no matter how great the performers were. In jazz, there were many "pop" records made, especially in the mid 1960s as jazz waned in public interest. Many of these still have never been reissued and likely never will. When Creed Taylor took over Verve Records, he deleted nearly the entire catalogue that Norman Granz had created and pushed Verve into pop music territory. Certainly there were some fine albums that came out under his control, but many are largely ignored today.

In rock music, the artists that essentially created their own market generally are timeless and unlikely to ever seem dated (examples Bob Dylan and The Beatles).

I agree about the jazz that you mention from the 1970's that was pushed toward the biggest commercial market.

23. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Keith Jarrett Trio - After The Fall (ECM)

24. Lonson

An ECM

[​IMG]

eeglug, Stu02, Carraway and 2 others like this.
  25. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Right now, CD 3 from "The Complete Bill Evans On Verve" box.
    • 'Trio 64'
    • 'Stan Getz and Bill Evans

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]