Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Thank you. I do so happen to have a Region Free player - a recent acquisition to play some movies not available in the USA. :targettiphat:

ShallowMemory likes this.
  2. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I suppose... if one could hook up the laptop's video output to a TV. Not sure how well it would upscale.
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't like watching movies on a computer monitor.

Mowgli likes this.
  3. bluemooze

First listen to "Pierre de la Rue - Missa di Sancta Anna & Lamentatione Jeremaie" performed by Schola Discantus directed by Kevin Moll on Lyrichord.

[​IMG]

4. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

My father absolutely loved Morse. I never watched it but I believe it showcases Oxford very nicely ...

5. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

My 1967 RCA LP of Bizet's "L'Arlésienne" Suites (Jean Martinon, conductor) has the same cover art as @coopmv 's CD.

[​IMG]
    Van Gogh: L'Arlésienne (Mme. Ginoux) -- in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Martinon is okay, but my preferred recording is Paul Paray's account with the Detroit Symphony Orchestra from the '50s.
    Mercury LP, 1958.

[​IMG]

McLover, crispi, Eigenvector and 4 others like this.
  6. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

My mother lives in South Manchester so it's an easy drive from her house - I will suggest a visit next time we are up!

7. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

It's a superb series. "Endeavour," of course, is Morse as a young man-- a Detective Constable just starting out. As a Chief Inspector in his fifties, he's still working cases around Oxford, driving his vintage Jaguar, listening to classical music, and rarely passes up a pub.
    And he's still single. When he and a colleague muse about why neither of them has married, Morse quips: "No one would put up with me -- I play my records too loud!"

8. bluemooze

First listen to CD 5 from "Haydn - The Piano Sonatas" performed by Ekaterina Derzhavina on Profil.

[​IMG]

Wes H, Eigenvector and J.A.W. like this.
  9. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

A bit unusual ... Two different record companies using essentially the same art work for a CD cover?

10. coopmv

Not bad considering the age of Jaap Schroder, who was close to the late Gustav Leonhardt ...

bluemooze likes this.
  11. coopmv

Here is my Blu Ray player for my computer ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  12. WriteFace

WriteFace Well-Known Member

Thanks for introducing this. I really like it.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  13. WriteFace

What other recordings of Quantz would you recommend? Thanks.

14. coopmv

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    bluemooze and WriteFace like this.
  15. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

I remember that, when I was young, I had a delightful disc of Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker also narrated by Peter Ustinov. He read out humourous verse by Ogden Nash in between the pieces. Really great. I'd love to find it on CD, but I haven't been able to find if it was ever transferred to CD. Anyone else remember it ? I have found this cover via Mr. Google but I could have sworn my copy had a different cover.....

[​IMG]

Wes H, ubertrout and bluemooze like this.
  16. WriteFace

Just curious- How does one order from amazon IT and get it shipped to US address?

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I don't usually post stuff like this here, but I'll make an exception for this. Got the Claudio Arrau Complete Philips Recordings box from Amazon Germany today. Their packaging usually leaves a lot to be desired, but they got it right this time, a sturdy outer box and a smaller box within holding the Arrau box (a tight fit), with bubble wrap all around it; brilliant :righton:

18. bluemooze

Now listening to CD 5 from "Beethoven - Complete Piano Sonatas" performed by Melodie Zhao on Claves.

Sonatas 13-15

[​IMG]

Mowgli, Wes H and Eigenvector like this.
  19. bluemooze

The same way you order from US Amazon. Just enter your address and they will ship it to you no problem. :)

WriteFace likes this.
  20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Listened to parts of this set a few times and to be honest I'm not impressed. Very superficial, no depth; at least that's how her playing sounds to me.

bluemooze likes this.
  21. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

NP, the Cello Concerto, music for a gray and chilly day. Schoeck in neo-romantic mode.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  22. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

My son's Xbox One S games console reads Blu-ray which is quite handy as it means one less box for us ...
    Even better, it will play the new 4K discs but sadly I don't have a 4K screen yet ... :cry:

23. Oh, snap, sorry, I meant the first movement, which sets the pace for the rest of the symphony.

24. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

There's a live version of Martinon conducting the Farandole from L'Arlesienne No. 2 where he whips the orchestra into an incredible frenzy by the end. It's part of his sadly OOP 2-CD CSO "From the Archives" box set - http://www.davidroyko.com/photos/undefined/vol12-1.jpg

bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  25. coopmv

After having owned over a dozen of Complete Beethoven Piano Sonatas box, I have stopped searching for the next box. While there are big-name pianists like Pollini and Brendel whose boxes are not among what I have, I have made the "relatively" subjective conclusion that they may not be the best for Beethoven Piano Sonatas and forget about the rest ...