Janis Joplin-A forgotten legend?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rufus rag, Mar 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just watched an excellent biogaphy on BBC 4 called 'Janis Joplin-Little Girl Blue'. I know little of her & don't own a anything by her but 'wow', what a voice. A search of this forum came up relatively blank & her name is seldom mentioned. I was always aware of her 'name' but nothing beyond that yet she was clearly influential in opening doors for female rock stars incl. Stevie Nicks. Am just curious why she seems larlegly forgotten about in the context of a true 'legend'?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    zbir, The Revealer, John Adam and 5 others like this.
  2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I still remember.

3. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Janis is the indisputable Queen of rock.

4. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Getting ready to post another spin from the west coast that just started, and saw this thread. I don't think she's forgotten, and is up there with the legends that meant something for a place in time like all the greats. My favorite intro to any Janice record, from the Pearls box, killer sound... I Got Dem Ol Kozmic Blues Again.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  5. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Amazing singer, but yeah, she does seem to be somewhat forgotten nowadays, IMHO.

6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Right you are. :righton:

longdist01 and segue like this.
  7. @Rufus rag might want to fix that title typo before it’s too late...

The Killer likes this.
  8. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Fixed.....

There are many threads here on Janis, and her name is often mentioned, contrary to the OP’s observations. The only threads on “Janus” may be in the video forum.

:doh:

9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

She's not forgotten but she's also not as fondly remembered as others from the era because she was/is well... kind of an acquired taste.

10. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

The Monterey Pop Festival (and film) brought her fame.

11. joefont

joefont Senior Member

I'd say that once everyone who was alive when she was alive is gone, she'll be pretty much relegated from a chapter to a couple of paragraphs.

zbir likes this.
  12. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

I find her voice grating and judging by interviews she doesn’t seem like the nicest person. Just my two cents. But I don’t think she’s forgotten at all. There’s not a lot of mention of Jeffison Airplane either, but I don’t think they’re forgotten, just not as well remembered as other 60’s stars.

13. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident

I love Janis Joplin. The people of today just don't remember, or acknowledge her because (most of them) are just too plain ignorant and self-absorbed to discover her beautiful works and creations.

To me though, she's never forgotten. And never will be!

14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I think a lot of her music has aged really badly which is why you don't hear it on oldies radio.

15. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I think a lot of her legacy is lost because she is perceived as a hippy and also as the person with her mental health struggles. This has overshadowed her enormous musical talent. Her last album demonstrated that she was focused on producing quality music, and was broadening away from the SanFrancisco early days. Had she lived longer she would have gained broader appeal and recognition.

16. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Not forgotten in my house.
    I love Janis.
    So glad I got to see her perform.
    Festival Express in Toronto, 1970.
    An electric performance I will never forget.
    Just a few months later, she was gone.

17. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Not forgotten, but she also didn't get that posthumous iconisation process that many stars get.

18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I don't think she deserves to be put into the same group as Hendrix or even Morrison.

19. BrutandCharisma

BrutandCharisma Forum Resident

The Jimi Hendrix of blues vocals.

Great talent, largely unlistenable.

Alan2, Darrin L., tkl7 and 2 others like this.
  20. DBR49

DBR49 Forum Resident

Her sound, her sense of humor, came from such a bottomless well of pain and defiance that I really can't blame later generations for taking a pass. Me, I love her music, especially (especially) the experimental approach of Big Brother backing her up. Saw her and the band three or four times, always an experience. Forgotten or remembered, people like her own their brief part of time and it will always be there.

21. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

One big difference between janis and some the others that died young like hendrix and jim Morrison is that she didn't leave behind a big library of unreleased music. Like them she still gets airplay on the classic stations but unlike them there hasn't been tons of rare recordings seeing the light of day for the first time decades after she left us. Al Wilson of canned heat suffers from the same fate.

22. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

She sure was at the time.
    She was the Queen.
    Hendrix was the King.

zbir, nick99nack, Frozensoda and 7 others like this.
  23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Plenty of people were big "at the time" but we don't consider them worthy of being amongst the greats now. :shrug:

starduster and pig bodine like this.
  24. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

I think this right here is your answer. She hasn’t been the subject of relentless reissue campaigns and scraping of the barrel that some of the other young deceased rock performers from that era have been.

I think a little bit is time and place as well - her image is a little more of the dated 60s hippiedom than Morrison or Hendrix, fair or not.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

I’d put her among the all time greats when it comes to female rock vocals, but would concur that she isn’t as consistently viewed among the greats by younger generations (FWIW I was born in the early 80s).

keyXVII, Sean and ianuaditis like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.