Tom Waits Reissuing Anti Records Albums (2017), incl. Orphans (2018) Plus Elektra Back Catalogue *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lars1966

Lars1966 Forum Resident

For those in the UK, 7Digital have all the Elektra albums available now at about £15 each for 24/192. I'm downloading them now.

Plan9 likes this.
  2. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Let us please know what you think. I'm especially interested to know how "Blue Valentine" compares to the old CD.

Plan9 and art like this.
  3. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

If anyone could review Closing Time, out today, that'd be great

4. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Some deadwax info on the Closing Time vinyl out today would be grand.

I can't see it being better than the last issue though by Chis Bellman

I've stopped pre-ordering pretty much everything on vinyl these days, as you just don't know what you are getting lately. If Chris or Bernie etc. are involved with these, then why not shout it from the rooftops

Crush87 likes this.
  5. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I may pick this up...

6. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

lschwart likes this.
  7. Tommy Burton

Tommy Burton Forum Resident

Picked up the new Closing Time today. Listening as we speak. Vinyl is a little noisy. Here is the dead wax/mastering info: Remastering supervised by Waits/Brennan and Karl Derfler. Mastered by Peter Lyman at Infrasonic Mastering.

Hope that helps.

TB

8. onlysleeping

onlysleeping Forum Resident

I have almost all of his original vinyl. I am waiting for Orphans to get re-released on vinyl. I hope it isn't record store day only.

Regarding digital, I wonder if the same files are present at HDtracks, 7digital, and Qobuz. 24bit 96 and 24bit 192 are both available. I'm hoping they aren't brickwalled, Tom's music benefits from the dynamics.

9. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Yeah mine was noisy too. I have issues with most of the Waits's reissues. A couple had tight spindles.

10. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

My Closing Time was definitely pretty noisy but a spin on the VPI 16.5 tamed most of it.

Sounds awesome. Tom's voice sounds brilliant on this album.

11. rodstone

rodstone Forum Resident

Mine was a little noisy too. I also have a mid-70s Asylum pressing. I did not hear any improvement. I slightly preferred my 70s pressing. The 70s pressing was slightly brighter, while the new one had a little duller sound signature. I thought the new reissue sounded nice, though, and given that finding a quiet original pressing in good condition is not easy (this one never sold in large quantities I don't think), this is probably a good alternative. I don't have the 2010 Rhino reissue to compare so can't weigh in on that. But if I had a clean original 70s pressing I would just stick with it. I bought this one to check out the series but I have originals for all these records and I will not be buying any more of these, at least on vinyl.

12. gospelfish

gospelfish Forum Resident

I assume Bone Machine will get done eventually and I will buy it the instant it comes out.

inaptitude likes this.
  13. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Me too. Eagerly waiting for the Orphans release

14. gospelfish

gospelfish Forum Resident

Ain't gonna be cheap.

Izozeles likes this.
  15. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

It’s split into three isn’t it?

Izozeles likes this.
  16. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

It is.

Izozeles likes this.
  17. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Split is just for rsd or for the proper reissue?

18. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

$33/each double lp according to RSD list price (from Bull Moose.) Bastards on grey vinyl, Brawlers on red and Bawlers on blue.

19. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it. Thread Starter

Just RSD.

The day I plunked down seventy five DOLLARS (c£50) for the 7LP (the four track bonus LP will help the box hold its value) in 2011 was the day I knew I had possibly the greatest bargain of my music collecting life.

20. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

I can't imagine that 4 track bonus EP doesn't show up separately at some point. Seems like something perfect for Black Friday RSD 2018 or next April's RSD.

21. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

I don't think we'll get a 7LP box after RSD, just the three 2LP sets but black vinyl instead of colored.

Porkpie likes this.
  22. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

For those who still buy cd's and don't have Orphans, the original ltd edition 3xcd set can be had mint for as little as 7 euros on Discogs. :)

23. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Has there been confirmation that the split is just for RSD? I haven’t seen that stated anywhere. I agree with mick_sh that most likely black vinyl 2 lp sets of the 3 albums will be released post RSD.

BlackCircleVinyl and mick_sh like this.
  24. Rgfinch

Rgfinch King Rocky

I was hoping the FLAC downloads on Bandcamp might be the 24 bit versions (much cheaper on Bandcamp than elsewhere). I bought Closing Time as a tester but it's just 16 bit. Anyone know where I can buy the 24 bit files for a reasonable price?

25. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

How is Closing Time digital?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.