Artists You Used to See Every Time They Toured - But You Stopped!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oatsdad, Mar 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever Thread Starter

Ooh, there's another for me! I went to every Mellencamp tour from 1987 through 2001, IIRC - and would've seen 1985 but my car broke down on the way! :mad:

As time passed, the shows got shorter and more predictable. Last time I went, Mellencamp just didn't seem interested so I bailed after that.

I've considered going again but ticket prices have kept me away. I don't mind paying "big bucks" in general, but when I'm on the fence, I'm not willing to drop $100!

2. Bob Dylan. Missed a show due to other commitments and then ridiculous ticket prices and the Sinatra material came along so I never saw him again.

3. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

I've seen Richard Thompson more than 50 times, beginning with Fairport at the Fillmore East in 1970. I stopped going to the solo shows. I'll still go see him with the Electric Trio because I like his electric playing best, Michael Jerome is the drummer, and the ticket prices are always reasonable.

I've stopped going to Todd Rundgren shows, except for the "hits" tour a couple of years back. I don't like EDM.

Never missed a chance to see Steely Dan, but with Walter gone I'll have to think twice.

My only "must see" band these days is The Zombies. They get better every tour, and they're already the best live band out there. RIP Jim Rodford, though, he was amazing.

footlooseman and Fullbug like this.
  4. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

You would be correct, good sir.
    They drew a line of demarcation, teetered close, but never truly crossed it.

Oatsdad likes this.
  5. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Brian Wilson - 13 times since the first Royal Festival Hall shows but in the end I found it all a bit sad.

bluejimbop likes this.
  6. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

The Beach Boys-With the sad loss of Carl and Dennis, there was no reason to see them. And after Al was kicked out of the band by myKe luHv, they literally were not the Beach Boys as far as I was concerned. Like why would anyone have any interest with only one original member who had the worst voice in the band? I'll see Brian anytime he's in the area, that way I get to see a legend, Al Jardine, Blondie and the terrific band they have with no possibility of John Staymohs showing up.

Fullbug and Olompali like this.
  7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever Thread Starter

Thanks for the confirmation that they never actually called themselves "The Grateful Dead" again after 1995.

I thought they had done that with the "Fare Thee Well" shows but that was based on news reports, all of which sold those concerts as "Grateful Dead". Not until I checked out ticket stubs due to this thread did I realize they didn't formally use the name for the concerts!

Reminds me of the initial 1996 "Quadrophenia" shows, which Townshend insisted they be billed as "JE RD and PT Play the Who's 'Quadrophenia'".

I saw one of the "non-Who" shows at MSG - back when they claimed those would be the only North American concerts - and went again when they came to DC fall 1996.

Can't recall if they'd formally agreed to be billed as "The Who" by then - I think so, but that change might not have occurred until later in the tour...

8. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

I quit seeing them/him longer ago than that; it was too depressing to see him trying to sing no longer-reachable notes by standing on his tiptoes and croaking out the words a half second late.

bluejimbop, Bonddm and Atmospheric like this.
  9. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Morrissey - I stopped going to his gigs because of the type of fans he attracts at shows. Too rowdy and aggressive.
    Rod Stewart - too much hand waving etc. I am not a big fan of (too much) audience participation.
    Elvis Costello (with a band) - prefer him solo.
    Emmylou Harris and Art Garfunkel - both gifted with great voices but their vocal range in later life no longer appeals to me. Just my opinion by the way.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  10. zen

zen Senior Member

Moody Blues
    ...a lack of new material made their live show a nostalgia trip and nothing more. That's cool for some, but I like new material to keep it interesting.

4_everyman and Atmospheric like this.
  11. Destroysall

Destroysall Forum Resident

I'm reading some people having seen Depeche Mode and Rod Stewart so many times? Oh, the envy! I would have torn Zeus down from the sky and gave him a nickel to be able to see them in their prime. I could say the same in regards to bands like New Order or Siouxsie & The Banshees...

12. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Happy to report that I saw all four at least twice.

13. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

Elvis Costello. I stopped...I guess after When I Was Cruel. Great show, but after seeing him 10 times, it just felt like enough. that said..I might see him next time he comes through.

Mark Kozelek: I saw red house painters at every local show from 1992 until they broke up, and saw him solo a number of times, and the last two were just not good. Haven't bothered to see him live in at least 12 years now.

Fullbug likes this.
  14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Blur - Graham Coxon left then they split / disappeared for years.

Status Quo - Rick Parfitt died.

15. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I'd go to any Gillian Welch/Dave Rawlings show in their early days. I got on to them right from the start but by the time everybody else caught on I'd had enough and also my interest in their songwriting started to slack off. Don't get me wrong, I still love them but don't feel compelled to see them live like I used to. I'd probably still go see them if everything lined up but it'd take a perfect scenario.

16. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Stones, due to set lists

markbrow and Bonddm like this.
  17. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Saw Phish about 50 times in clubs and theaters, but found them much less compelling in arena and larger spaces and have seen only about a dozen times in the past two decades and none for several years.

footlooseman and Fullbug like this.
  18. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I'm definitely not a serial concert repeater like some of you folks .. so:

I saw Paul McCartney with the Beatles in 1966, and with Wings in 1976.

When he toured in 89-90 I mistakenly thought this might be the last chance to see him live so I went three times that tour .
    When he toured in 1993 I got 10th row center seats through his fan club for face value, which was like ..$33.00 or so .

I knew I'd never get a closer seat without having to sell Arnold Groves internal organs on the black market to raise the money , so that was it for me. :D

Seeing Paul live six times was good enough for me.

19. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Ringo. I saw all the tours up through the sixth band. I stopped there mostly because he didn't come back to play at a venue close to me again, while I still cared. Maybe he has come back again sometime lately (I really don't know), but I stopped going to live concerts over 15 years ago. The seventh band would have been one I particularly wanted to see/hear in person. I still keep up with the live videos and albums though.

20. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

When it was announced that Brian was going to tour after Imagination was released a friend of mine and I rushed out to get tickets .

We were highly skeptical that the tour would come off. In fact , the night of the concert we went to was the first show of the tour, so until Brian actually walked out onto the stage we were paranoid that Brian would get cold feet, chicken out and cancel the show.

So, if anyone had told us he would end up touring incessantly for years after that we would have thought the person was crazy. Who knew ? :D

After the Imagination tour , I saw the Pet Sounds tour and Brian with the Beach Elderly Men on the 50th anniversary tour and that was good enough for me.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    harmonica98 likes this.
  21. I would agree although Al wasn’t an original member but he was part of the classic line up.

22. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Does anyone know the balance of the raised ticket prices compared to the loss of income streams due to file sharing, single song downloading as opposed to buying the entire CD, LP...etc? Sometimes I agree that it's gouging then sometimes I wonder. We just saw Noel Gallagher in Oakland, tickets were in the $60 range.......it doesn't seem like a massive paycheck for band and crew. I'd be interested to see if any comprehensive study has been done on this.

bluejimbop likes this.
  23. I had stopped as well but couldnt resist seeing the Anniversary Tour for Imperial Bedroom

davers and HoundsOBurkittsville like this.
  24. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

David Wilcox, Loudon Wainwright III. I don't like paying full price only to find that the headliner decides to share the main set with one of their friends I don't know, and worse... Don't like when I hear them. In both cases their best years are behind them so no great loss.

25. I’ve seen Paul about 10 times going back to 1976 ( I was 6 in 1966 so I kind of doubt my parents would have taken me if I had asked anyway) and, as much as I appreciated the 10 times I’ve seen him live, I’ve decided to see other artists I haven’t seen.

Glenn Christense likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.