Artists You're "Supposed To Be Into" But Just Don't Care About That Much

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Waves Crashing, Mar 10, 2018.

1. somnar

somnar Senior Member

While I wholeheartedly agree with the beginning of your reply, there's nothing about the idea of the thread that "doesn't make any sense." While it's true that people like what like and don't like what they don't like, there is a group of artists who are generally agreed upon - by the masses, by the critics - to be great and/or important and/or universal in their appeal. I think most would interpret the OP as asking which of those artists you - as a listener - don't particularly like. I think it's a completely sensical and interesting questions.

But to the OP, what this made me think about is how few artists there are whose work I own all of. Aside from musicians who made only one or two records, there are only four musicians/bands I could think of where I own everything (and two of those are pretty obscure). Also made me think about how much I like (or don't like) some of those pantheon artists. And please - I'm not saying I don't think these are great artists, just that I don't love their work.

Dylan. I love a few things here but the rest - and the mystique - don't do much for me.
    Rolling Stones. Ditto.
    Led Zeppelin. Ditto.
    Creedence. None of it does anything for me.
    Aretha Franklin.

Waves Crashing likes this.
  2. Klassik

Klassik Guerilla BeatLOLogist

Surely no-one is 'supposed to be into' these artists?!!
    If this is state-decreed then the very fabric of democracy is at risk!

ianuaditis, PDK and Ethan B like this.
  3. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

4. keyXVII

keyXVII Forum Resident

Frank Sinatra
    Aretha Franklin
    The Sex Pistols
    John Lennon
    Paul McCartney

5. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Really? I never got the impression from anyone that they expected anything to be "universal in its appeal." It's always seemed to me that everyone aside from pretty hardcore objectivists--who are fortunately few and far between--easily realizes that different people like different things, and there's nothing that everyone likes. I mean, that should be apparent to people when they're little kids already. You're going to have little kid friends, family members, etc. with very different tastes in many things.

Jarleboy likes this.
  6. Frank

Frank Senior Member

When someone is excessively pedantic, no explanation will suffice. Save yourself while you can.

7. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

But then again, providing a list of records that you claim to like,that were generally panned by critics, as you are often known to do, isn't offering anything either, is it? It's still just a list

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    Frank likes this.
  8. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Thanks for such a thoughtful reply.
    To me, here’s what illustrates my point:
    I really like all the artists you’ve mentioned!
    Dylan: I have all his LPs up until “Street Legal”, then 4 -5 albums since then.
    Zep, Stones, CCR: I have complete collections.
    Aretha: 2-LP greatest hits 66-74. Amazing records from her in that period.
    Those artists don’t do anything for you.
    That’s ok- you like what you like.
    Personal taste. Unless there’s something riveting in the opinions expressed (and mine certainly aren’t in this thread!) I don’t see the need to hear/read about why someone doesn’t like an artist he thinks he’s “supposed to like”. Especially when it’s just contrarian opinion for the sake of being contrarian.

9. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Shouldn't be long now until every artist in the R & R Hall of Fame is listed! :laugh:

Vinyl_Blues and Grant like this.
  10. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Not all threads are for all people - maybe this is one you shouldn't have clicked through to (and posted on). But I find it interesting to know which legacy artists prove challenging to the people posting on this thread and I think others do as well.

As to the "contrarian" tag, if you're saying I don't dig Dylan just to be different, I can tell you there's nothing farther from reality. Music is the thing that moves me more than anything else in life and if, for example, I could feel when listening to Dylan what I feel when listening Abbey Road or Aja - two favorites - I'd be all the happier. But I don't (although I keep trying). In other words, just because somebody doesn't like something that you like doesn't mean they're a contrarian.

Frank likes this.
  11. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

No - please understand I wasn’t calling YOU out! Your reasoned replies bear that out.

There’s so many members here who pride themselves on being “different” just to cause dissent and watch the sparks fly! You can usually tell that by reading their other posts. There’s SO MANY members here that of course there will be vastly differing tastes to be sure.

Why did I click on a thread with a subject matter I strongly disagree with? I’ve been here a long time and I’ve seen the same stuff pop up and getting less and less interesting. The actual “discussions” within are deteriorating. And I think it’s a shame. Reflective of modern discourse.

ianuaditis, Grant and somnar like this.
  12. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Ooooookkkay.....:sigh:

13. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Got it. Sorry for the misinterpretation. Still, I think it's an interesting question, especially when answered thoughtfully.

ianuaditis likes this.
  14. Terrapin Station

:laugh:

I'm not criticizing people just listing artists, I'm differentiating them from people who are questioning or commenting on the "supposed to like" idea instead.

Andrew J likes this.
  15. Sane Man

Sane Man Forum Resident

I think the most interesting part of the thread is taking everyone's opinions as a whole and finding the names most often mentioned. I scanned the thread quickly but I believe I saw the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, and maybe Radiohead mentioned the most. I wonder if there's a tie that binds? (Bruce pun intended) Maybe (especially in the case of the first three) someone getting in late to attempting to listen will be turned off by the sheer amount of material and the lack of a perceived entry point? It took me forever and multiple times giving up on Bowie, before I finally found appreciation for him in the form of the Berlin trilogy. I've listened to various stages of the Rolling Stones existence from the late 60s to the early 80s (Aftermath, Exile, Some Girls, Tattoo You) and get minimal enjoyment out of them.

16. Mr wiggles

Mr wiggles Forum Resident

Thanks
    I certainly will give those tracks a spin.
    One of the plus points of this forum.

Jarleboy and ianuaditis like this.
  17. Terrapin Station

Part of the problem when it comes to artists with large discographies, especially if they have a bunch of different stylistic periods, is that people typically do recommendations in an ignorant way online. People just recommend the albums that they like the most, or that are the artist's most successful albums (either critically or otherwise), or that are considered to be the most influential, etc.

Instead, recommendations should be made with an understanding of the recommendee's tastes. If someone isn't familiar with the Stones and they're interested in checking them out, I need to know something about that person's tastes--preferably in quite a bit of detail, preferably where I've known that person for awhile, preferably where I know them personally, and preferably where I know not only what they like/dislike, but some of the details re why they like and dislike what they do. Of course, online it's difficult to know other people that well, but the closer we can get to that, the better the recommendations we can make for them.

Vinyl_Blues and danasgoodstuff like this.
  18. Mr wiggles

That certainly was enjoyable

19. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

Too bad that song is what the group is overwhelmingly known for. EVERYONE seems to know that song, but other songs from the Deep Purple canon? Meh... not so much. So many other Deep Purple songs deserve love, too.

Jarleboy, OldSoul, zen and 1 other person like this.
  20. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Other than a song or two Neil Young doesn't do much for me.

Earscape likes this.
  21. Mr wiggles

First of all I love and admire your musical knowledge.
    Second I can assure you it's not classic rock snobbery. Rock music is only a part of my musical Collection.

I love funk music and its a large part of my collection. But prince is the one funk artist I just can't get into.
    Is it because it's too polished!
    Is it because of one the love/sex content?
    Kiss is a perfect example. Musically and production wise it's pretty much perfect.
    I just can't relate to it.
    Compare that song to the almost primal instrumentation of give it up or turn it loose. And it's no contest for me.

I respect everybody's views and I'm going to listen to some of those tracks and give the funky little bastard another chance.

Derek Slazenger and ianuaditis like this.
  22. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

I'd quite like to join a social circle that made these mandatory listening. It would be a hoot, at least until the novelty wore off. A John Walters movie set on a trailer with a bunch of amateur dramatists?

23. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

Grateful Dead - they are OK, but don't understand why so many are ga-ga over them.

King Crimson - really tried to get into them, and they are outstanding musicians, but I just never "got" them.

Springsteen - over-rated, and the love for him generally fades the further one moves away from the N. Atlantic Coast.

Earscape likes this.
  24. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

Seriously, outside this forum no-one is going call you out for not liking the Moody Blues, if they've heard of them at all!

Vinyl_Blues and npc210 like this.
  25. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Foo Fighters and Red Hot Chilli Peppers

If their music is on I won’t shut it off. Might even bob the head or stomp the foot a little to the rhythm.....but no matter how many times I have tried, I just can’t love them and wouldn’t choose to put them on. I just always feel like something is missing with the Foo Fighters, as if there are melodies that should be there that aren’t.....hard to explain. And I love Grohl the persona....and flag waver for all things hard rock and metal. Don’t necessarily have the same feeling about RHCP, just can’t completely invest in them